main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars Omnibus: Dark Times Volume 2

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Tintin In The Land Of The Soviets

3. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Forgotten Realms: The Last Threshold(book IV of the Neverwinter saga)

4. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

Have you read any of the comics that align with the books as well?

5. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    No I haven't. I didn't even know that there were Forgotten Realms comics to be honest with you.

6. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Ok. See I knew of the comics vefore I knew of the novels! *laughs*

7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Ok. See I knew of the comics vefore I knew of the novels! *laughs*
    I only read the Drizzt ones. I don't know of other comics

Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The Martian. After a slow start, it really started to pick up after we see NASA realizing Watney's still alive. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through; Watney's preparing to drive to the Schiaparelli crater.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Nothing. I'm waiting until the sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird comes out. I've waited 50 years for this.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Bill O'Reilley, upon hearing the news about the Mockingbird followup, decided to rush into publication his own take:

Killing the Mockingbird.

I think it took him three hours to ghost write it on his sneeze rag.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope.

Once more, dear friends, unto the trench!

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Very odd book. Herge clearly doesn't really know what he's doing yet. Have you read others in the series? I've read . . . I think all of them except for the last one, which was left uncompleted at Herge's death. If you happen to be starting the series or doing a chronological read, don't let the first couple influence. After Soviets and the African one, they start getting better. Eventually, they become brilliant.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    The Magicians. Harry Potter for grown ups. Really good.

14. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Do let me know what you think of the sequels, especially The Magician's Land. If you decide to read them, that is.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Started Stephen Baxter's Proxima yesterday. Not bad so far..

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I am half way through the lastest James Bond novel called Solo. Its a different kind of story than we're used to, set in the 60's he's sent to an African country under the guise of a journalist to infiltrate a militia army and kill its leader.

17. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I only read a handful as a child, cannot remember much though. I remember more of the animated series. I'll be buying each one and reading them chronologically. So far with 'Soviets', I'm inclined to agree. Herge has the very basics like the premise, the look and names/sayings. However it feels very rushed, continuous slapstick jokes after another and no real guts like other stories.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We by Charles Lindbergh. This one was written and printed less than 2 months after his fame-making New York-Paris flight, and it's a little rough around the edges. His Spirit of St Louis was published 20 years later, telling the same story in more detail and has much more mature and literary writing style. But We has an immediacy and energy that are compelling in their own way.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Finished The Martian. Rather excellent, but not without mistakes. Weir was only too happy to point them out himself in his AMA a few days ago. I think one involved the hydrazine. My mind just kind of glazed over during all the technobabble, anyway. Mark Watney is a note-perfect character.

My only major complaint is that it was obvious the first instance of omniscient narration, hundreds of pages in, signaled something bad was going to happen. And then it did. From then on, all future occurrences were like neon signs saying **** was about to go down.

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Going to read The Pianist by Wladystaw Szpilman

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I finished Proxima earlier today. I thought it was pretty good.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It was interesting, though I thought the getting to Proxima plausability was't good, and especially since it was all that to do nothing more than drop off undesirables. The most interesting thing to me was the nano-female-robot that was turned into a laser sail, but she was only used as a guiding star.

23. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Tintin In America

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Captain from Connecticut by CS Forester. How is it that I'm just now discovering this book?! Classic seagoing Forester, but without Hornblower. An American frigate sails past the British blockade of NY Harbor in 1814 and raids shipping in the Caribbean; adventure ensues and drama follows. This should have been the first of a new series to rival Hornblower, but apparently it's a standalone. :(

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. Though I'm sympathetic to its "Don't read on me" themes, Mr. Heinlein somehow manages to make a lunar revolution about as exciting as planning a birthday party.

Reading Heinlein took me back to my experience reading Starship Troopers, which gave me an itch for some military sci-fi. So I chose John Ringo's A Hymn Before Battle. Hopefully its the literary equivalent of Contra. We'll see.

26. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Twilight: Eclipse.

Reading for the second time, seen the movie at least 20 times.