main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm really liking Night Watch so far.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just reread RM Meluch's Myriad. It's old fashioned pulp space opera, full of US Space Marines with swords and blasters fighting tentacled aliens and cyborg Space Romans. Light and fun reading.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Over the last two days I have read most of Stranger in a Strange Land. Utterly disquieting particularly in the author's ability to make wrong seem right and right seem wrong.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    A Storm of Swords. Been on this one for a good three years. I'll read a good hundred pages and put it down for months. Well, I'm back to it, and already made significant progress. Alas, I'm at a Dany chapter... I'll slog through her chapter and keep it up! I'm right before the purple wedding.

5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm re-reading Moonraker. i need some new books.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dragon Avenger book 2 in Age of Fire by E.E. Knight.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Right? I found that book to be really creepy. Heinlein has a way with energetic prose (I recommend both Starship Troopers & The Puppet Masters for less weird, much more compelling reads), but there was a moment when I just suddenly tumbled to the fact that this book wasn't going to be a criticism of the whole sexual doctrines of the main character, but that Heinlein actually believed all that nonsense. Really unsettling. It's kind of reading like a satire and then you realize that he's serious. Did you read the longer version with all of the stuff originally cut from the first release reinstated? I did. Oof. Frankly, it creeps me out the degree to which the book has kind of infiltrated nerd culture; every time I hear someone use the word "grok" I just want to ask them why they think the book is anything other than creepy sexual wish-fulfillment.

A Monstrous Regiment of Women (1995) – Laurie King

[​IMG]

After having such a positive reaction to The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, the first book in King’s series about precocious Mary Russell and her adventures with an aging Sherlock Holmes, I picked up the second book with a lot of excitement. Add to that the best frigging title I’ve encountered in a very long time and the focus of the book, a quasi-Christian mystic cult led by the feminist spiritualist Margery Childe, and I was super into it. I love feminist takes on Christianity, mystical takes on Christianity and all that good stuff, so I was very excited. Unfortunately, this book, while well-written, just is nowhere near the quality of the first book. The solution to the mystery at the core of the book, a series of murders with connections to Childe’s temple, is the most obvious solution possible – I literally figured it out about a third of the way into the book. Also, I didn’t like at all the direction this book took the Russell-Holmes relationship; just saying that is probably a spoiler, so I’ll just go ahead and say that they do indeed “fall in love” and begin a sexual relationship, which I found ridiculous. It seemed very out of character for both of them and the nearly forty year age difference between the two is just beyond creepy, especially since Holmes says that he’s secretly been in love with her since they first met, which was when Russell was FIFTEEN. The book does have strengths. King’s prose remains top notch, particularly for the mystery genre and there’s a late section of the book where Russell is captured by the villains and subjected to a lot of cruelty that’s genuinely harrowing and deeply disturbing. But the flaws of the book are just too deep for this to be one I recommend. And, sadly, I now have no interest in pursuing the rest of this series. Above average. Whatever. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – second book in series butchers both of its lead characters and features a mystery that’s insultingly simple; still, wonderful prose and a few genuinely harrowing sequences elevate the book a bit. 2 ½ stars.

More Book Reviews!

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Rogue: I read the first half straight through. The second I read about four chapters then got an odd feeling it was going to go straight to Creepy and Bizarre City at lightning speed. I skipped a good swath but when I started reading again it read like a sex prophet cult with a twisted Christ complex and I do not even want to discuss the rationalising of cannibalism! Disgusting. One of the sickest things I've read in a long time.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because only the word has really disseminated to that extent and not the book? Like, I read maybe 50 pages of Stranger in a Strange Land before I got sufficiently bored that I put it down and never picked it back up, never got to much of anything, and grok was still used several times. It's a good word.

Anyway, Orville Prescott hated the book, so it can't be all bad.

10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Star Wars: Razor's Edge by Martha Wells

11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Knight of Shadows by Toby Venables

12. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.

13. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dragon Outcast E.E. Knight, Age of Fire #3.

15. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
    Forest Forensics -- Tom Wessels

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Just finished book 5 of Series of Unfortunate Events. I'll start book 6 tomorrow.

17. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Star Wars: Slave Ship, Book 2 of the Bounty Hunter Wars. I liked the first book well enough, so I decided just to read the rest of the trilogy.

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  18. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

starfish likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gifted Hands: The Dr Ben Carson Story. True inspirational story of a poor as dirt black boy from Detroit who became the best neurosurgeon in the world, and apparently written for attention-span-challenged teens. It was a quick read, and gave me a feel for Carson, who may be running for president.

JEDI-RISING and Juke Skywalker like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    NF - just started The Trouble With Europe by Roger Bootle. He's an economist and a columnist for the Daily Telegraph newspaper. (UK). It's just out in paper here. It's a look at the problems with the European Union (and the euro). It's pretty interesting so far. The paperback has updated content since the hardcover.

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku

22. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    Just the story on a farm boy who learns the way of the Force embarking on a mission that could guarantee a major victory for a rebellious alliance with aid from a Jedi, Princess, Smuggler, First Mate, and two droids in all the films...in iambic pentameter by Ian Doescher.

Sarge and SWpants like this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got the TPM SW Shakespeare book coming from Amazon US.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    never mind

[delete post]

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Home from the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McClean. Stories about ordinary people and the joys and sorrows of ordinary lives; it's not bad, but it lacks that je ne sais quoi that his radio program has.