main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes. I'm reading it right now. But I think it's only fair to acknowledge that 21 is just a fragment. If you want to talk about finality for the series, you really have to go with the last completed book.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, I finally did it. I finished the series, all 6500 pages of it. And I loved it. Patrick O'Brian passed away in the middle of writing his latest novel, with only two and a half chapters written but not yet revised. The resulting fragment, not yet titled by O'Brian at his death, was subsequently published several years after his death, under the simple, unassuming title 21 in America, and the rather more descriptive, but florid (and Stephen-shortchanging), The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey in Britain. The presentation is respectful, almost reverent, making sure it doesn't feel exploitative. There's a foreword from the editor, the presentation of O'Brian's revised typescript, only minimally edited, right down to its midsentence end, and then facsimile pages of O'Brian's handwritten notes and manuscript for the little bit that hadn't been typed up yet, followed by a laudatory afterword by critic Richard Snow. It's a very nice presentation of material that's ultimately of interest only to committed fans, and goes out of its way not to mess with O'Brian's work (perhaps too far -- while the facsimile pages are a very nice idea, O'Brian's handwriting is completely incomprehensible and I had to turn to an online transcript by a more dedicated fan to make any sense of the pages).

As for the material itself, it's clearly in the draft stages, with everything not quite set yet and the feeling that there's a little more fleshing-out to be done, as well as a few blips that would have eventually been caught in editing (my favorite being the mysterious reappearance of Wantage, the master's mate who died halfway through the last book). With O'Brian's books usually slow to start, with each beginning often a bit of an epilogue to the book before and a lot of setting-up and introducing of new elements and characters to do, it doesn't get into much in the way of events, but we do get to see Jack raise his flag as admiral; meet his illegitimate, black, Catholic son Sam again, now a papal nuncio, to Jack's touching pride; and reunite with his family as the whole crew comes out to go to the Cape with him. We also get some hints of what conflicts might have run through the book, with Jack and his commanding admiral not getting off on the right foot, and the presence of an arrogant army officer attempting to court Stephen's intended and already getting into a duel with him; certainly he would make more trouble later. It might not accomplish a great deal narratively, then, but it does offer a few last very significant treats for the dedicated reader, and I think it demonstrates that there continued to be a great deal of storytelling left in Jack and Stephen even without a war. The core of the books was never naval action -- they didn't rely on battles and cutting-out expeditions. The core was in experiencing the rich emotional lives of these beautifully-drawn characters, experiencing these fascinating historical times and ways of living through their eyes. You could just as well have books and books about Jack whipping squadrons into shape and disagreeing with his superiors, sitting on land managing his affairs and getting into trouble in society, Stephen managing delicate peacetime intrigues, hell, elderly Jack and Stephen back at home watching their children's careers, hunting, talking about life, going into London to see the concerts and have dinners and speak to the Royal Society. They're characters who just continue to work no matter what situation you put them in.

What tremendous, beautiful books. Months and months of reading, thousands of pages, and I'm terribly sorry to come to the end of them.

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

King_of_Red_Lions and YodaKenobi like this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Hairdresser of Harare

6. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I started reading Outlander, to see what all the buzz is about. So far I'm enjoying it.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I finally finished A Bridge Too Far, by Cornelius Ryan. It's an amazing story, thoroughly researched and well told. If you've seen the movie, you know the basics of the story, but as usual, even an epic-length film leaves out huge amounts of the true story. Strongly recommended.

Juke Skywalker and Havac like this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    A Night to Remember on my Kobo.

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm a big Outlander fan! The first book drags a bit in the early chapters, but picked up quickly for me. My biggest complaint is the wait between new installments. Gabaldon is pretty good about posting little tidbits over the years it takes her to write.

Just started reading Fashion Victims: The Dangers Of Dress Past and Present.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Song of Ice & Fire
    Just finished Storm of Swords and started Feast for Crows

11. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Well, then, I'm glad I started reading now that there's like 9 books out. :p

Jag4Me likes this.
  12. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Battlefront:Twilight Company. I've heard enough good things about it to give it a look

13. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The Force Unleashed II

14. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Mark of Athena(Heroes of Olympus #3 by Rick Riordan)
    Only 100 or so pages but this is just as good as the other stuff Riordan has done.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    With Steppenwolf knocked out - and it's a fascinating novel, by the way, well worth a read if you've ever remotely thought of reading more Hesse than your schooling demanded of you - I've moved on to The Book of Lost Tales, Vol. I. It's exactly what I assumed it would be: clunky, early Tolkien. Perhaps predictably it's not nearly as well-written as Steppenwolf (even in translation!), but I'll get through it. I'm thinking Murakami for my next book because **** it.

The Great Hunt got a little weird towards the end because of some weird slave collar malarky that I'm hoping is confined to about six chapters of WTFery. I can forgive and forget, so in audiobooks I've moved on to The Dragon Reborn. I'm really enjoying these Wheel of Time books, warts and all, so no matter what slowdown I encounter in later titles I don't think I'll regret embarking on this dumb voyage. I should note that I'm not actually sure I would have the same opinion if I was reading them - the prose is the sort of by the numbers overly descriptive stuff I usually only excuse in nonfiction, and I think the audiobook format takes some of that edge off.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The Lando Calrissian Adventures

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Good for you, old toaster!

Havac and PCCViking like this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Jackaby by William Ritter. It's good YA fantasy fun. Think a good Sherlockian pastiche filtered through JK Rowling and you kind of get the idea.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    another shout out to "Er ist Wieder Da." The German satirical novel that begins with Adolf Hitler waking up on a park bench in 2011 Berlin, his Afrika Korps uniform reeking of gasoline.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That was released in the UK as Look Who's Back. I thought it was pretty funny.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The Maltese Falcon

22. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars: Republic Commando: Triple Zero

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm about halfway through Antoine St Exupery's Wind, Sand, and Stars. Holy purple prose, Batman! He's gone indigo!

PCCViking likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Meeting Infinity was mediocre at best. A couple of the stories were pure gold though.

Moving on to The Ghost In The Shell volume 1 which is a collected version in American reading order. I did not check closely on these volumes but now I learn there is this volume 1, then a 1.5, then a 2.0. This is my first shot into this manga though I have seen the anime.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Wright Brothers, by David McCullough. It was a quick read for me, and a good study of Wilbur and Orville's personalities. I found it a little light on the technical aspects of their works, but I'm an aviation tech head since way back.