main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Back to Legends with Shadows of the Empire.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  2. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    After one and a half books I have given up on The Wheel of Time series. I just don't like Robert Jordan's writing and I didn't care one bit for the characters.

Today I shall begin reading

[​IMG]

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

I always found this cover funny as it clearly comes from this:

[​IMG]

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    What comic is that?

I'm reading Star Wars: Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of Force by Michael Reaves

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

It's from Tales Of The Jedi: The Freedo Nadd Uprising. The character is called Warb Null.

6. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Thanks!

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    A Pocket Guide to Writing History.

8. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Finished The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom this morning and have started Morning Star by Pierce Brown.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

The Fafhrd origin story was BORING. Gray Mouser's was better. Now on to their team up, I hope.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

When Will There Be Good News? (2008) – Kate Atkinson

In the third novel in her Jackson Brodie series, Atkinson knocks another one out of the park. The title seems apropos of Atkinson’s style; her books are so filled with tragedy and sorrow that one might have the title question run through their head about halfway through any of her novels. This book starts with a seemingly random crime; a mother, two young children and an infant are brutally stabbed to death. Then the book jumps ahead thirty years to the present day and things quickly go off the rails (no pun intended) for the characters. In Reggie Chase, a fast-talking, hyper-emotional sixteen year old, Atkinson has fashioned one of her best characters and when Reggie becomes convinced that there’s foul play afoot, neither hell nor high water will stop her in her efforts to discover the truth. She’s good for a lot of hilarious bits as well. This book pulls in Jackson, but also Louise Monroe, the single mum/detective from One Good Turn and this book is a bit different in that it isn’t about the constant crossing and recrossing of paths, as One Good Turn was, but about the separate tracks these people are on and the collision they seem to be headed toward, all converging on one thing. The book is very much about women as victims of violence. Louise finds herself obsessed with one case, Jackson with another and Reggie, unknowingly, with yet another; these are all tales of women brutalized and when the book wants to be grim or sad, it practically kicks your guts out. Atkinson’s characterizations are spot on and she manages to make the reader genuinely care about these people and feel their pains and fears. There was a moment when I was almost afraid to continue reading the book because I knew that if one particular plot ended the way I was expecting it to that I just honestly didn’t want to know it. If certain characters met certain fates at the end of this book, and with Atkinson I knew I was in the hands of a merciless writer, then I would prefer not to experience that or know it. That’s the level of care to be found here. But the book dares to end with truly transcendent hope; despite the tragedies of the past, the present and, doubtless, the future, it is within Atkinson’s purview this time around to point up the moments of beauty. Even those with an unhappy ending can remember the happy days that came before. And in this world, sometimes that’s enough. 4 stars.

tl;dr – Atkinson’s third Brodie novel boasts brilliant new characters and a gripping and compelling plot; deeply evocative and powerfully emotional, this book is yet another triumph. 4 stars.

More Book Reviews!

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Return of the Jedi novelization

12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    double post. Boards really being an issue today.

13. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    bloodline

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sticks and Wires and Cloth by Anne Hopkins. The author bought an old biplane, flew it around, and wrote a book about it. Really more of a collection of essays, but well-written in a plain vanilla style. Most readers would probably find it dull and slow, but for those of us who dream of flying around in our own biplanes, it's a good read.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Fixed. :p

PCCViking likes this.
  16. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Kenobi. It's fantastic.

Psych_Jedi likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Star Wars: Bloodline by Claudia Gray

I'm curious to get some backstory for the state of the galaxy in TFA, I just hope it doesn't turn into 300+ pages of intergalactic C-SPAN.

18. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Read a lot of great contemporary poetry for school the past several months...now it's on to some Star Wars reading...Bloodline.

19. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Double Post

20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    After finishing up Planet of Twilight I'm gonna take a dive into Atlas Shrugged.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've read that a few times. It's pretty long but I enjoyed it.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    That explains so goddamn much

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Hunt for Red October is a GREAT book! I can't wait to read it again!

Sarge and Juke Skywalker like this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Metamorphosis (1915) – Franz Kafka

When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from troubled dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous insect.

I read a lot of Kafka last year and liked very, very little of it. But I decided to revisit this novella, which is both the most famous of Kafka’s work and also the first of his work that I read. I read the Malcolm Pasley translation for Penguin, if you’re interested. It’s been a good decade or more since I last ready this story, but I think it worked on my nerves and my soul even more this time than it did before. The premise is to die for: a guy wakes up and discovers that he’s been turned into, essentially, some kind of cockroach or beetle. But the story is just very oppressive in atmosphere. The premise could lend itself to inadvertent comedy and there are a few moments of dark comedy, but overall I found re-reading this to be basically sort of feverish and unpleasant in the best of ways. It’s really dark, really bleak, quite hopeless and, ultimately, just really, really sad. I feel like Kafka reaches a level of real pathos in this story that one rarely finds. For all the negative things I had to say about Kafka’s other work last year, he certainly turned out one undeniable masterpiece. 4 stars.

tl;dr – short novel is grim and unflinching, but also filled with pathos and sadness; Kafka at his best. 4 stars.

Rylo Ken, YodaKenobi and Ramza like this.
  25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

****ing love this novella. been meaning to read more kafka, as this is the Dane Cook of kafka and its all ive got under my belt so far

26. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Tales from Jabba's Palace

27. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars Rebels Servants of the Empire 1: Edge of the Galaxy by Jason Fry