main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Darksaber

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

I've never read this before.....

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not read that either. All kinds of classics out there I know so much about but never read.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

*nods*
    One of my former students recommended it to me a year ago and it took me this long to get to it.

I've never seen any movie adaptations either. The books is loads different than what I expected based on pop culture references.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just started Robert Harris' Conclave last night. I shelled out for the HC for this one (bookstore had reduced it by £5). Good so far..

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Darth Plagueis by James Luceno.
    So far I'm really enjoying it, it offers political intrigue and the insight into the nature of the Force.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Child’s Play (1987) – Reginald Hill

This is the ninth novel in Hill’s Dalziel & Pascoe mystery series and it’s a real winner. The central mystery plot revolves around a great premise: an elderly, incredibly wealthy woman has died and her family gathers round to figure out who gets the money. But her obsession in life has spilled over into her death; her son was listed Missing in Action during World War II and now all of her money has been left to him, to be held in trust for twenty years. It’s all about the characters in a Hill novel and this one has some really great ones: crafty lawyer Eden Thackeray, shy but intelligent Lexie Huby, the glamorous leader of a fascist hate group, a bitter tavern keeper and more. In all of the books to this point, Sergeant Wield has been a supporting character and we’ve been reminded in small ways in all the books that he’s both gay and closeted; this is the eighties and it might ruin his career should he be discovered. But a large portion of this book is taken up with the fallout when a rumor starts about a gay cop in the force. Hill writes great character stuff for Wield here and he finds a way to make the brouhaha over a gay cop both hilariously funny and also disturbing. Dalziel and Pascoe both get some interesting, thoughtful character development in this subplot and Dalziel’s final coup de grace in this plotline is nothing short of brilliant. The various mysteries are suitably opaque; there’s a final twist that I hadn’t seen coming at all, though I instantly realized all the reasons I should have. And it’s only in the final pages that we discover why the novel is called Child’s Play and the darkness of that realization sinks in slowly enough that it hangs on after the novel is over. This is one of the best in the series in my opinion. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – great new characters and fascinating development of returning characters elevate this already confounding and brilliant mystery novel to one of Hill’s absolute best. 3 ½ stars.

More Book Reviews!

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here.

9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Life and Death (Twilight Reimagined) by Stephenie Meyer

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

I got up this morning and decided to give it a half hour to read.....two hours later there I am still reading it.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Flatland by Edwin Abbott. Think Gulliver's Travels for math nerds.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Lost Fleet: Dauntless by John Hemry (penname Jack Campbell)

Sort of marries the man out of time idea of a Buck Rogers or Captain America with military sci-fi, but in the mold of
    C.S. Forester. 100 pages in and quite good thus far.

Grievousdude and Sarge like this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

You should try David Weber's Honor Harrington books.. They're very much in the same Hornblower-in-outer-space vein.

Sarge and Juke Skywalker like this.
  14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

I've been meaning to actually. That's a series that's been on my "to read" list for too long.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Well since there seems to be nothing for audio books, I'll post here. I'm currently LISTENING to Bloodlines. Other than the narrator trying to do male voices, it's a good LISTENER so far. I like audio books alot. They remind me of bedtime stories :).

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I also really like audiobooks. I sometimes listen to a audiobook at night before going to bed. I am currently working my way through the Cormoran Strike books.

17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

For grown-ups. :p

Because sometimes we need an elderly British thespian to read us a bedtime story, because adulting is hard.

Darth Basin likes this.
  19. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I just finished reading that book actually. I'm now reading the second book Fearless. It's a good series so far.

Sarge likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read those for awhile but went off the series. Haven't read the latest ones.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Same here. I loved the first 7 or 8, but after that they all seemed like more of the same, and Weber really needed an editor who would chop the gobs of useless fat out of his stories. Do we really need multiple pages of Peeps second-guessing which political officer suspects what and not saying anything? Yawn!

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The one I went off the series on had her as a prisoner on some planet. Got totally bored and gave up. This was probably around 5 years or so ago.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

The last one I read was Honor Among Enemies. I think that one is the next one.

24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm listening to the audiobook of Heroes Die by Matthew Stover.

I am becoming a fan of audiobooks. The problem is that I can become so focused on them that I am slower to stop when a deer bolts in front of my car.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I liked the prisoners' escape even though it took too long to tell it. I think I read about 3 more after that, hoping they'd get back to the interesting stories they used to tell.