main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Courtship of Princess Leia

I once gave this a 5/5 star rating but I have no clue why. There are too many things that irritate me about it.

Negotiator1138 and Sarge like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I couldn't agree more. In my headcanon, that is the true Lancelot. Also, his character arc rings totally true for honest Christianity.

soitscometothis likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Reading another Netrunner novella, Monitor by Leigh Alexander.

5. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Which do I want to read next?:
    Tatooine Ghost (Legends reread)
    The Princess Diarist (by Carrie Fisher)
    Darth Vader: The Shu-Toron War (comic)

Negotiator1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Just finished; Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. It's like Quantum Leap via a collaboration between Stanley Kubrick and Nora Roberts (chew on that for a few seconds). My scientific expertise doesn't extend much beyond a standard episode of Mr. Wizard's World, but if you just go with it, Dark Matter is a white-knuckle thriller with a strong love story woven in. - 7.5/10

Started reading; Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization by Alexander Freed. Freed wrote Twilight Company, one of the better SW novels I've read. The material there is very similar in tone to R1, and so far it's off to a strong start, giving much better insight into the characters.

SWpants likes this.
  7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I read Fisher's and finished it last night. Now I've got TG for home and DV for work/school since it's easier to bring comics to work.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently working my way through Angus Donald's Robin Hood series - The Outlaw Chronicles.. Iron Castle is next on the list. I got derailed by having to order some of the middle volumes from Amazon UK and just recently started back in on them. If you are a fan of Robin Hood, Richard the Lionheart, etc it's a pretty good series.

9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The Fury Of Blacky Jauguar

Great, short, hard boiled crime tale... kind of contemporary noir.
    It's violent, funny and fast paced.

10. Winama Shiraya

Winama Shiraya Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 3, 2017
    Rereading one of my faves...The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. It was the first "grown-up" book I ever read, and it still has emotional resonance all these years later.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    1. Holy cow ot's 10 years old?!
    2. 2007 was 10 years ago, what the heck!
    3. Stoked about a pronunciation guide

And I will hopefully start "Give Me a K-I-L-L" by R.L. Stine tonight

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I remember so vividly where I was when I was reading that book. And that whole Lancelot story was the most moving to me. "It shut like a box, it shut like a box." God, that's good.

Sarge likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm just about to start It. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and I've been looking forward to finally spending some time with it.

15. Blue Destiny

Blue Destiny Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2016
    Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

CT1138 and PCCViking like this.
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I am currently "listening" to Dark Disciple. Just finished the first CD. So far a good opening.

Negotiator1138 likes this.
  17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Just finished reading Knights: Four novels by Robert E. Keller.

I'd bought the set ages ago on a Kindle deal but only just got round to reading it now. It was a fun read and it was interesting seeing the protagonist gradually grow stronger and more confident as the series went on.

Now reading The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Dropping the 2nd Netrunner novella for being too boring. Moving onto the 3rd and final, Exodus by Lisa Farrell.

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Finally on Heir to the Empire in my Star Wars Legends reread :D

Juke Skywalker and PCCViking like this.
  20. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh! I misplaced my Dark Disciple audiobook! Noooooooooooooooooooo!

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're not missing much don't worry.

On recommendation from Lord Vivec, I am starting Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey

Lord Vivec likes this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am well into Some Kind of Hero.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Confessions (1961) – Saint Augustine, R.S. Pine-Coffin

As a Christian that’s also really into the “great literature,” it finally became inexcusable that I’d never read the Confessions of Saint Augustine. Augustine composed the book some time around 400 A.D. (BCE just doesn’t seem appropriate when talking about Augustine) and he intended it to be both a general story about his life leading up to and including his conversion to Christianity. It’s widely considered to be the first Western autobiography and it’s a foundational text of Christianity as well (plus, and this is no small thing, Bob Dylan’s I Dreamed I Saw Saint Augustine). I intend to read a few different translations; this one is a Penguin translation from the sixties. It’s always hard to review a work in translation when you haven’t read it in any other translations, but I’ll say that the structure of the book is quite interesting; the book is almost entirely directed to God, for one thing, which requires the language to be quite intricate and ornate. It’s divided into thirteen sections, with the first ten dealing with Augustine’s life & conversation; the final three, oddly, deal with a textual analysis of the first chapter of Genesis. Some editions delete these last three books; this one includes them. The book is not particularly compelling from the pure reading pleasure standpoint for the first bit; the details of Augustine’s life aren’t all that interesting, at least for a while. After he joins a Manichean cult, things pick up quite a bit as he explores the ideas of the Manicheans versus his later Christian ideas. But it’s the sections dealing with his actual conversion that are just incredible. They’re raw and extremely intense and emotional. Augustine’s wrestling with Christianity and the conviction that it is the true faith are visceral and violent. Sections seven & eight are almost entirely taken up with this and they are riveting. The parts of the book that get philosophical in terms of existence and the nature of things as varied as time and memory are also really interesting to me, though they would not be to a lot of people I’m guessing. The first third or so is pretty dull, but then it gets a lot better. Looking forward to getting into some other translations. 3 stars.

tl;dr – foundational piece of Western literature and Christianity has more than a couple of dull patches, but there’s passion and fire here as well. 3 stars.

More Book Reviews!

Juke Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Finishing Phantom of the Opera.

I have to admit that I gave up on Good Omens. It's very witty and cleverly written but it wasn't enough to carry the storyline which imo was pretty empty, and I wasn't given much reason to care about anything (I think I got about 3/4 through). I'm going to give it another go though a bit later on in life when I have time to actually read it and not listen to the audiobook.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Reading God Emperor Of Dune. Written by some dude name Herbert if you're curious.

Juke Skywalker likes this.