main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I actually didn't like the way At The Mountains of Madness ended.

Or to be more accurate I was not impressed with the creature presented

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Ooh. Did you lose a bet?

Rogue1-and-a-half and PCCViking like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Even though it's still a ways to go, I'll be reading Crucible, so I can't laugh too hard.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Beggars of Life by Jim Tully

Autobiography by a man who lived as a hobo before going on to become a successful writer in the 20's, influencing Ernest Hemingway and others. It's amazing, he's a poet and you feel like you're right there riding the rails.

6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Salinger by David Shields and Shane Salerno

A biography of J. D. Salinger written as accounts by different people, also including photos and excerpts from his letters.

7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Rereading Legends. All the books I own.
    "Children of the Jedi" made me realize that Wendig isn't the worst SW author. I don't like hos writing and abhor how he talks to people in blogs and other things, but at least he knows character.
    So far, POT isn't as bad as COTJ.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Hambly's Star Wars books are probably the weirdest the novels have ever gotten outside the Crystal Star IMO. Though apparently post NJO is worse. I haven't read past Dark Nest so I can't comment on them though.

SWpants and Sarge like this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Book of Urizen (1794) – William Blake

Laws of peace, of love, of unity;
    Of pity, compassion, forgiveness . . .
    One command, one joy, one desire,
    One curse, one weight, one measure
    One King, one God, one Law.

Some of Blake’s mythological characters have appeared in his previous works, but I count this as the first of his mythological works, because I really tie his mythology to the events in which these characters find themselves and, of necessity, the exploration of their relations to each other. In this book, Urizen represents the intellect, the higher mind. In the time before Creation, he takes control of existence and creates our universe. But because he is a figure of pure intellect, he cannot govern except by laws, commands and absolute control; he creates the Net of Religion (one of Blake’s most powerful images) to bind mankind down with. But Los, representing passion and inspiration, breaks free and binds Urizen in an effort to free mankind, but then finds his own rule beset by problems. One of the great things about Blake’s mythology is the way in which Blake paints the characters; none of them are villains exactly, just flawed individuals bound by their natures to fail in certain ways. Urizen is not a being of evil; he is simply, by his nature, unable to rule humanity without crushing them with the Law. This is not because reason and the intellect are dangerous or evil in themselves, but only because they cannot be allowed to become ascendant over the other elements of the soul. The majority of Blake’s mythology will be taken up with this idea: the elements of humanity’s soul are only tenable when they all operate in balance with one another. Throughout countless pages of his writing, we’ll see various sides of mankind’s personality ascend to a place of primacy over the others and see everything fall apart because of this. This one is a simple poem by comparison with his other mythological works, but this one, in my opinion, really lays the foundation for all the others. 4 stars.

tl;dr – first of Blake’s proper mythological works, this conflict between reason and emotion lays the groundwork for the more complex works to come; compelling and brilliant. 4 stars.

More Book Reviews!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Fireborn by David Dalglish, book 2 of his Seraphim trilogy. I wasn't sure if Skyborn (book 1) was fantasy or sf with sufficiently advanced technology; Fireborn answers some of the questions raised in Skyborn and pushes the story firmly into fantasy territory. Definitely had more action than the first one, which had the burden of establishing the world and characters, and I like Dalglish's action. Dangerous foes are dangerous, not just pushovers who are supposed to be a threat even though they're not. The plot went in directions I didn't expect, but still consistent with what went before. Ditto for character development. I'm looking forward to book 3 Shadowborn, which I believe is supposed to conclude the trilogy. Personally, I hope there's more than that, cuz I love this world. Jedi are cool pilots who can swordfight, but Dalglish's Seraphim swordfight while they fly. That's what I want to do if I grow up. :cool:

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Pride and Prejudice. A really great book, and it shows continuing development from Austen. The prose retains her voice, but it's less focused on brutally sarcastic social observation, warmer in tone to complement the fact that Elizabeth, with a stronger and wittier personality than Elinor, can do the skewering herself. And the characters are even better developed, with all the major characters commanding significant page time rather than mostly lurking off to the side like Edward Ferrars. Every character has some flaw, some more significant than others, and while some overcome them, others don't. The ending is a bit less happily-ever-after, and a bit more earned. Where Austen backed off on Willoughby, refusing to judge him entirely harshly, here Wickham and Lydia, as well as Mrs. Bennet, are pretty much chalked up as losses, and there are greater and lesser degrees of reconciliation. It makes everything feel a bit richer and deeper, more realistic and compelling. Austen also tackles a greater variety of characters. The spectacular insipidity and shallowness of Mrs. Bennet and Lydia are familiar from Sense and Sensibility, as is the rascality of Wickham, but characters like Bingley, whose eagerness to please makes him far too easily swayed; Jane, whose naive refusal to believe ill of anyone harms her; Mr. Bennet, whose complacent self-amusement is ultimately selfish and harmful; Elizabeth, who is too quick to judge the character of others, too trusting of her own opinions; and Mr. Darcy, whose determination to do the proper thing and solitary nature leads him into standoffish arrogance, are fresh and all make for interesting character types for Austen to explore. Moreover, there are a lot of relationships on display. The romances between Elizabeth and Darcy and Jane and Bingley are the most obvious, but there's also a lot of emphasis on Elizabeth and Jane's sisterly relationship, and on their other family relationships and female friendships. There's also an undercurrent of emphasis on male friendship, with the tight bond between Darcy and Bingley, each complementing the other's flaws, central to the plot. It's a great book and tremendous fun to read.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Finished The City. It was good. Not really sure what to make of the ending but I enjoyed it all the same.

Got a bundle on the kindle of the 2 Empire and Rebellion books so I'm now reading the Leia one Razor's Edge. When I'm done with that I'll start the Han one Honor Among Thieves.

13. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Overall I did not like The Iron Dragon's Daughter very much. It is a brilliant idea, and good in places (I would use the word "profound" in a spot or two) but there is about 100 pages of tedium that I did not need.

Moving on to Pathfinder tales: Gears Of Faith.

Sarge likes this.
  15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Will Wilder 1: The Relic of Perilous Falls by Raymond Arroyo

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

You know, summer reading.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    THEREMIN: ETHER MUSIC AND ESPIONAGE by Albert Glinsky. I bought it because I play the weird musical instrument. I kept reading due to the Red Scare/Cold War spy caper that somehow truly occurred.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

You've piqued my interest. How did theremin music tie into a cold war spy caper?

Also, how does my spellcheck not know theremin?

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Your spellcheck lacks culture. :p

Leon Theremin was basically an electronics savant... from Russia. It is far more elaborate and interesting than that, but, in a nutshell... electronics genius with countless doors open to him in the US. From Russia.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My spell check is nikulturny.

(Hey mods, we need a commie smiley.)

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars: The Crystal Star by Vona N. McIntyre

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

My condolences. :p

Sarge and Grievousdude like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Should we send flowers?

wmu'14 and PCCViking like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Yeah. I remember nothing from it.....and now I know why...

Sarge and PCCViking like this.