main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this book. The way that Fowles wrote Frederick/Ferdinand is both captivating and disturbing. I've not been able to finish it yet because of work, but I'm going to polish it off over the weekend.

I bought a copy of The Magus as well. I'm planning on reading that one in the near future. I saw three of Carrie Fisher's books on special offer today. I think I'll pick up The Princess Diarist and Wishful Drinking. I never knew that she and Ford had an affair. Sounds like an interesting read.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I really disliked The Magus.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Reading Kershaw's Hitler, the Germans, and the Final Solution. Functionalism vs. intentionalism.

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    THe Unseen Queen by Troy Denning

PCCViking likes this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    ^Before the dark times, before the Denningverse. :p

(Tatooine Ghost and Star by Star weren't bad, at least compared to some more questionable Denning entries).

SWpants and Grievousdude like this.
  6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Finally finished Morning Star by Pierce Brown. It's a good trilogy, but the first book is the best, imo; in books two and three the protagonist is so much more reasonable and enlightened than everyone around him it feels a bit unreal and condescending. I don't like it when an author oversells his/her hero/heroine.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Nemesis Games. It's been a real pleasure seeing The Expanse continue to develop as a series, getting better and better in both character and plot, while always being willing to kick over the status quo. In fact, its model is sort of built around change, as it rotates through new POV characters in each book and constructs each novel as a sort of one-off adventure that happens to advance a big, vaguely overarching plotline by continually shifting the status quo. Here, we get yet another interesting shift, as the formula is jarred by not introducing any new POV characters, but instead giving POV slots to the rest of the crew of the Rocinante, the central cast of characters who've been tagging along with series protagonist Holden for four books, and splitting them all up. The mechanism for this is a bit clunky, as everybody happens to get drawn away by issues from their own pasts while the ship is getting overhauled, but it's pretty rewarding for longtime readers to finally dive into these supporting characters, see inside their heads, and really build the story around all of them. It's also nice that several past POV characters pop back up as supporting characters; one of the weaknesses of the series is that it's resisted building a central cast outside the crew of the Rocinante, leaving many interesting POV characters unrevisited, but now it pays off nicely and really helps the investment in the series to get some of these people back. The plotline is probably the biggest shift to the setting of all, and of course it ends up catching up all of the characters in it. Holden is still Holden, but it's amazing how much more compelling he's become with time and development and growing self-awareness, and it's always fun having him working with Fred Johnson. Naomi gets a really well-written, wrenching plotline built around her relationship with the villain of the piece, a narcissistic, emotionally abusive, manipulative sociopath who happens to be the father of her son. Alex's section is mostly functional, but it's full of tense action and it has Bobbie Draper in it. And Amos's visit to Earth is the least significant, in its contribution to the overall plot, but it's got some good atmosphere and the writing for Amos is fantastic, showing off just what a compelling character he is. What's happening to Amos really has no impact on the building tension of all the other plotlines, but you still can't wait to read his chapters just because Amos is so magnetic a character once you're finally allowed inside his head. I think I liked Cibola Burn better, but this is a great entry in the series and it puts on display just how good and involving it's gotten.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A Man Called Ove

About a cranky old man.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Seventh Son (2014)
    I'd heard bad things about this fantasy movie, but it was okay; it doesn't live up to the promise of its cast or its budget, but it is solid entertainment if you want something escapist and undemanding.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Yeah, I felt the third book dragged a bit

soitscometothis likes this.
  11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, multiple authors. Still need to finish it, but thus far may fav is definitely Nnedi Okorafor's The Baptist story.

12. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Just started 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.' I also started a new job recently, and I'm very busy. I fear I won't be able to read as much as I'd like. And this book is really long.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Blood of Elves, by Andrej Sapkowski. Books that the Witcher games were based upon.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  14. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I really enjoyed The Last Wish, it was so unique.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I tried to read that book a few years ago. I give her kudos for coming with really, really detail fake footnotes, but it does make reading Strange and Norrell a bit of a slog since you often have to cover the same ground twice.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Valiant Dust by Richard Baker. Scifi military, space cruisers with a Victorian dreadnought feel. The author was a naval officer, so he makes the characters and action believable. The plot was kind of predictable. I'll probably check out more of his work. It doesn't compare to early Honor Harrington books, but I definitely liked it better than the later ones.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Disregard the massive continuity error with the games that chapter one drops on you, incidentally. :p

18. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Which, I have to admit I can't recall one

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Triss gets namedropped as being listed among the dead at Sodden Hill. When I first read it I got really confused about the chronology of the opening scene until I realized Sapkowski was clumsily trying to retcon an earlier mention of that detail when I finally got around to reading Sword of Destiny.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Triss, or Yen? Triss is at kaer mordan in chapter 3 or so, training ciri...

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Triss, that's why I was so confused that first time. Obviously the whole Geralt and Yen thing is explicitly brought up in the games.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've only played 3 :(

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it gets brought up in 3, although it's not the focus the way it is in The Witcher 2: Assassin of the Novels. Anyway hurry up and keep reading so you will feel the deep shame of making many choices you didn't know were poor at the time. :p

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Er, do you maybe smell something burning?