main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention LOTF: People Constantly ****ing On Just Like Every Page.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    ^Which one is that? [face_plain]

Onto LOTF: Fury now.

3. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, fine, you've sold me.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    None of them, I just wanted a farcical escalation.

SWpants likes this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Batman - Hush by Jeph Loeb

Somehow just reading this for the first time, been on my "to read" list for a while now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. The second volume of Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy, it follows the campaign in Italy from HUSKY to the capture of Rome. It’s just as good as An Army at Dawn. Atkinson does a great job of painting a picture of the war, from the bickering of the generals down to the experiences of the soldiers in battle. It’s full of rich detail and compelling portraits of the key figures. Atkinson ks pretty deft at pointing out the mismanagement in the campaign, a grinding war of attrition, while also acknowledging how it helped the Allies develop the experience and capabilities necessary to win the war, turning a haphazard operation run by inexperienced, frequently foolish leaders into a well-oiled, if still imperfect, machine of overwhelming material, manpower, artillery, airpower, and seapower domination. Hugely informative, and just a stunning, wonderfully-written read.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher. Started it just before the anniversary of her death, but I'm still only halfway through cause due to reading other stuff in the meantime. Still, the amount of sass and acerbic wit so far is most impressive.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Had to put on hold; Abaddon's Gate by S.A. Corey. I was nearly at the half way point, but it was due back @ the library, so I took it back and just ordered a copy off of Amazon.

In the meantime; The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I steered clear of this when it became phenomenon back in the early 00's. But I've just been in the mood for something of this ilk, and figured it would do as filler until Abaddon's Gate arrives. I was aware of the controversy of its portrayal of Catholics and the Church and so far it's living up to it. Everyone from the big C thus far is either a murderous mutant or a Machavellian schemer.

10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Not Now, Not Ever by Lily Anderson

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Artemis by Andy Weir

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    LOTF Invincible by Troy Denning

Dagobahsystem and PCCViking like this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Grant by Ron Chernow

DarthIntegral likes this.
  14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Aftermath Empire's End

15. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Rereading The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary

@cubman987
    Batman - Hush was a good one. I read it once. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Any good? I've seen both good and bad reviews.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I did not get the reading time I thought and only made it to page 5. Frankly, it's a damned good 5 pages.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I got Artemis for Christmas and it's in my reading pile so I'll get around to it soon. The Martian was really good so fingers crossed this one will be too.

19. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View

20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Been meaning to give Artemis a go. I really enjoyed The Martian, and was looking forward to Weir's follow-up, but lukewarm reviews and a bloated reading queue have kept it on the back burner. But it's always good to have a few novels like this on standby for the leaner times.

Just finished; The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. This is to literature what chicken McNuggets are to gourmet food, but it satisfies... kinda. - 6/10

Currently reading; Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey. My copy arrived, so I'm picking up where I left off when my library copy became due. Now just past the halfway point, it's really starting to hit its stride.

Super excited because I just ordered Iron Gold: Book 4 of the Red Rising Saga. I read the first trilogy this past Summer and absolutely loved it. A lot of people compare the Expanse saga to the Song of Ice and Fire series, calling it the sci-fi equivalent, but Pierce Brown's Red Rising series is much, much closer in spirt, tone and scope. I cannot wait to read Iron Gold.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I might get Artemis when it comes out in pb. Like you I have a reading backlog.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I don't read sci-fi often, but I enjoyed Artemis quite a bit.

23. Xando

Xando Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2018
    I'm reading the complete set of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, currently a few chapters into the second book - Restaurant at the End of the Universe, really enjoying them! I love the humour in them.

I'm also slowing reading through Thrawn in hopes of finishing it before the next book comes out, but I'm a very slow reader so I doubt that'll happen.

Sarge, SWpants and Gamma626 like this.
  24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Reading The Force Awakens novelization, got it a while ago and just realized I never read it :p

25. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I got a signed copy of Artemis for Christmas. In fact, I got a LOT of books for Christmas. I'm good on books for the next year.

Currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon's Sanderson. I'm taking "Popular Genres in Literature" this semester, so soon I'll be reading:
    -Frankenstein
    -The Silmarillion
    -Watchmen
    -Dune

And some assorted short stories. I have a busy few months ahead for books!

Juke Skywalker and Grievousdude like this.