main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Farmer Boy by Lara Ingalls Wilder

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you read The Silmarillion before? It's a challenging read; a lot of people (like me) get bogged down in the first few chapters. The good news is that it's almost an anthology of related stories, so you can read it out of order. If you get stuck, I'd recommend skipping ahead to The Tale of Beren and Luthien. That's a story that can stand on its own and is even referenced more than once in LotR. After reading that one and few others with titles that caught my eye, I went back and started over from the beginning because I wanted to put the chapters into context with the overall story.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, I heard it's a difficult one. Either way, I gotta read it, cause it's assigned. I think we're only reading specific stories from it anyways though. Although I love the world, so I'll probably read it all anyways. :p

Sarge likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've read it three times, though I don't remember much. It's just like reading Greek or Norse mythology, so if you're good with those it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Gamma626 and Sarge like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Finally finished The Story. It's a kind of summary of the Bible, with most of the "tedious" parts left out like the begats, boundary lines, and repetitious stories only get told once each. The idea was to make the overall narrative easier to follow for modern readers. It also includes a little bit of commentary to help the reader keep his bearings on when things happen in the timeline. It's not supposed to replace the Bible, just supplement it. My church started it about a year ago, and we're just coming to the end now. It wasn't bad, but personally, I'd rather just read the Bible.

wmu'14 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've long wanted to give it a go, but that epic length... It's not that I'm averse to "big" novels, but I could read two standard length novels in the time it would take me to finish TWOK. It's also the start of an equally epic series, and that only increases the commitment. I know fans are practically breathless when they describe how great it (and its follow-ups) is, but my plan is to read Sanderson's debut (and standalone) Elantris this year and see how I take to his style. If it hooks me, I'll likely give it a go.

I've had aborted attempts @ Frankenstein and The Silmarillion. Watchmen is brilliant, but I'm that rare person who actually prefers the movie. Dune is my favorite novel of all-time, so please be sure to post your thoughts when you finish. I'd like to hear them.

Gamma626 likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm familiar with that as well. It's an admirable effort, but I opt for the Bible as well. One of the unfortunate things about stripping down to really focus on the larger story is that you lose so much of the language, like the Psalms, Job, the prophets, etc. So much of that language is really stirring and evocative. I get the virtue of trying to kind of look at the Bible as one epic narrative, but there's so much to the Bible besides the narrative. It's an interesting reference/supplement, but yeah, I pick up my King James quite often and I've never really looked at The Story since my first time through. But I get how it could certainly be helpful for a novice; the Bible certainly can be overwhelming to try to get into the first time through.

Sarge likes this.
  9. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    The Once and Future King by T.H. White.

10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars: Crosscurrent

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've tried and failed to read some of the higher profile novels/sagas of Arthur; T.H. White's cycle, Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. The one that did hook me, and hook me big time, was Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. My love of Arthurian legend always makes me want to give the former another go, though.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Trying to stop reading dozens of threads here, as of late, so can resume reading actual books. :)

PCCViking and Grievousdude like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Grant by Ron Chernow. Outstanding.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    My 8th grade English teacher was a huge middle ages lover, so that book was one of the ones I read in class that year, along with Beowulf (yes, my teacher assigned Beowulf to 8th grade students).

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Leoluca Randisi

Is that any good? I been reading a lot of “heavy books” lately and needed a break from them for awhile.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    if you are a Yankees fan you will love it! it appears to be written by Mo may be dictated but it is in his words! I would recommend it for any Yankees fan or baseball fan alike!
    I just put in a preorder for,
    [​IMG]
    I bought the uncle johns bathroom reader from Amazon they sent it this morning so I should get it Tomorrow there is a Amazon Warehouse near me down here in Florida so things take really quick to get to my house! These books are awesome all factual interesting and funny at the same time!

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Exactly, it's a good starting point for the newbie. But if you already have a good grasp of the big picture, you'll get a lot more out of the Bible. I was surprised at how many of my favorite passages were left out, including some of the best known ones. Maybe that was a deliberate choice to encourage readers to go back to the source after finishing The Story.

As for King James, that's the go-to translation for reveling in the language and the power of the words. But when it's time to figure out exactly what Paul meant with some of his incredibly tortuous run-on sentence constructions in the epistles, I'll go to practically any other translation. Biblegateway.com is my favorite site for toggling back and forth from one translation to another.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm half through. I like it but if you're expecting another Martian this is not it. Yes it is hard scifi and filled with science but this is a smuggler in a space colony story above all else. The environment almost seems to small and cozy for all the goings on but there are people who serve on aircraft carriers who will tell you stories about meeting someone and it turns out they were serving on the same ship for years.

I guess it'll depend on whether or not you'll like the title character talking to you with the attitude that she does. I like it, I suppose many do not.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Italian Gothic Cinema 1970 - 1979 by Roberto Curti. Curti knows his Italian and European filone (genre.) This volume is a continuation of his exploration into Italian Gothic horrors that has some overlap with a couple of my favorite giallos. While I wish entries on Queens of Evil and All The Colours of the Dark were much longer*, the author makes up for this by going into director/writer Pupi Avanti's background by covering two movies I'd never heard of or seen, along with the director's seminal The House with Laughing Windows. The interviews with Avanti are fantastic and since I knew nothing of his background, most welcome.

*I hope the abrupt length of some gothic giallos means that Curti is writing a book on giallos, because unlike so many of his peers, he understands not only the genre but what the director is trying to do.

It would be nice to have a table of contents of movies by year (it's a bit frustrating not to know what movies are covered, but several I enjoy are included so yeah!

I will definitely be picking up Curti's book on Italian Crime films and may try to find those earlier movies by Mr. Avanti (which reminds me, I have seen Zeder yet either.)

21. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived
    Pretty good. I actually prefer Zeerid over Darth Malgus and Aryn Leneer. Half a chapter and the Epilogue left to go.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

I got this a while ago but only just started reading it now, because I needed something to do on the plane, and it’s good so far. I never read novels. Like ever. But it’s Star Wars, and even better, it’s about one of my favourite characters, Ahsoka.

23. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Most of the books I read tend to be SW EU.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I haven’t read any of the new books connected to the ST, but Ahsoka+everything=better.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars: Millennium Falcon