main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945, by Rick Atkinson. The final volume of Atkinson's chronicle of the U.S.-led effort in the western theater, it's an excellent history, wonderfully written and highly informative. Atkinson does a great job of bringing the personalities of the war to life, in all their squabbling, flawed glory, and also of conveying the experience at the front. He's so good that it makes you regret he didn't do an even more comprehensive history of the entire war. A tremendous, rich read by a great writer.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
  3. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Just did another read through of The Kingkiller Chronicle novels. Still waiting for the 3rd and final book to release because it’s been 8 years now! Come on Patrick Rothfuss, hurry the hell up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWpants likes this.
  4. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Right now I'm actually in the middle of a fanfic (if that counts as book): "Living History" by Ardavenport.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    His lack of ability to even give a release year has had a bit of negative feedback from fans. Many will defend him, others say they have given up and will not buy a 3rd book.

Here's a good page of back and forth.

I will of course get the third book and not have any anger towards Rothfuss. Having said that I wonder if I'd ever buy anything he puts out after that if it's a new series.

6. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    He has said his next series will be in the same universe and I’m sure I’ll
    But it. But I agree. His writing style is so intriguing that there is no way I wouldn’t buy and love the final novel from Kvothes story.

SWpants likes this.
  7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    And the weird thing is, it shouldn't be intriguing. Like why the hell should we care about some nobody name in a nothing universe and how he went through university?
    But sweet hell, whatever Rothfuss does just sucks the reader in and you can't explain why.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Perepolis Rising

I think this is one of the few books more than one person in this thread is reading or read recently.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Firefighter by Royd Kennedy, a former firefighter and Station Officer in the Auckland Fire Region of New Zealand.

It documents his life and career in the New Zealand Fire Service, from his volunteer days at Benneydale to the defining moment of his entire career; crawling underneath a burning petrol tanker to save a young girl who was pinned under the truck on 9th August 1990 in the Auckland suburb of Manukau.

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm currently coming down the home stretch of Abaddon's Gate, so I'm a little behind. Gonna squeeze a book in between each entry as I go, so it'll be a while before I get there.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    A Legacy of Spies by LeCarre. Only started reading his books after I saw The Night Manager last year. Quite glad it was good enough to peak my interest in the books.

12. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Let’s hope the 3rd novel comes out before the TV show beings. Don’t want the novel catering to the producers and owners of this new television property, having Rothfuss be a slave to write what THEY want. Hurry up PATTY

SWpants likes this.
  13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Way of Kings is sooo good. It really is. I'm hooked into it, and read when I can, but still have a ways to go. Not sure I'll pick right up with two immediately though, despite owning it. My backlog is massive.

Just digging into Frankenstein today. I'm enjoying it as well. I've read watchmen before so that'll be fun to revisit it. I've always wanted to read Dune so I can't wait for the latter half of the semester to really dig into it! I'll let you know what I think. :)

SWpants and Juke Skywalker like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    All the Light you cannot see. It is very good. I would recommend it to anyone.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.

16. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Wieland. I found another Gothic Horror novel to enjoy!

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Just finished; Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey. Just like w/Caliban's War, it took me a while to warm up to the new cast of characters that James Holden and his team crossed paths with, but once I did the story began to glide along, picking up speed as it went. - 8/10

About to begin; Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. I absolutely loved his Red Rising trilogy, of which this is a sequel. Really excited for this one.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Jack Reacher: Never Go Back I've seen the films, yet never read the books. Someone at work said they were good thrillers and has borrowed me a couple of them to read. First one up is this, which is of course the second film adapted. I'm about a third of the way through it and its interesting to see what they changed and simplified for the film, but so far so good, I think its a solid book.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Dark Force Rising

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Origin Dan Brown .

now I've rather enjoyed some of his books , but at this point I'd have to say that his formula and cliches are really showing .

1. An old pal who's a genius is murdered . check
    2. Woman related to victim joins Langdon in a hunt around the city . check .
    3. Some scientific breakthrough related to religion . check .
    4. Assassin who's a religious zealot chases Langdon . check .
    etc.

anyway , this is one of his weaker books , it's about AI and it ends up in a rather boring lecture about where we came from and where we're going and a lot of travelogue / historical stuff about Spain (where Brown lives now ) added on .

2/5

SWpants likes this.
  22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Star Wars: Riptide

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Star Wars Canto Bight

Dagobahsystem and PCCViking like this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Finishing up my Ursula K Le Guin memorial reading of Left Hand of Darkness and the Earthsea trilogy.

25. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Currently reading The Undercover Economist

Also, It's been 8 years for both Rothfuss and Martin. It's honestly just ridiculous at this point. You know I'm gonna buy it though

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    AplagueOnTheWise likes this.