main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Killing Floor is the next one of the Reacher ones for me to read :(

However before that I'm going to read Jo Nesbo's The Snowman I saw the film last year and loved the idea of it, but thought the film seemed to be missing a lot of scenes so that it all made sense and was a bit of a mess overall. So I'm going to give the book a whirl instead.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    >.< sorry, didn't mean to spoil it for you. It's highly regarded and I'm sure it picks up and sprints. I just didn't give it time to breath. I'm absolutely going to give it another go. I want to have the Reacher series waiting there on standby and to visit when I need some red meat fiction.

Yeah, I know the movie got ripped to shreds by fans and critics, but the novel is well regarded. I believe the author is Norwegian, so I'm curious if there's anything lost in the translation.

AndyLGR likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The Other Einstein (Marie Benedict) - I was walking through the book isle of my local Target and the title of this book caught my eye. I read the inside cover and I was intrigued enough to reserve the book at my local library. It's a fiction novel based on a real life person, the first wife of Albert Einstein. It's an easy read; taken from her perspective as she meets him in school in the late 1800s. She herself was a scientist, and it's been discussed that she had contributed to many of his theories.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Unless Nesbo's prose is absolutely dynamite in the original I sort of doubt it, the stuff I've read is mostly straightforward thrillers, and as far as I'm aware there's no controversy about the translation (which is usually the first giveaway).

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. It's been decades since the last time read this one, and I was amazed at how much it hit home. Reading it at a different point in your life gives you a whole new perspective and understanding of it. Definitely one of the great works of 20th century Christian literature.

6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The bad thing is that since this is the '81 version and was my mother's, the jacket ripped off this evening :_|

7. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Kiss Me, Judas by Will Christopher Baer

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Star Wars: Lost Tribe Of The Sith #9: Pandemonium

Excellent story to conclude John Jackson Miller's epic Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Tales

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  9. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I've got a couple going

Letters to a young contrarian and Why Orwell Matters by Christopher Hitchens

A lovely volume put out by the New York Times which compiles all of their SW coverage since the 70s
    and keeping it SW, the Path to TLJ Leia.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Elysium Fire was cool. It wasn't what I was wanting as there was a 10,000 orbiting space colony civilization begging for reader tourism and I got a murder mystery instead.

Moving on to Ironfoot: The Enchanter General by Dave Duncan and just 2 chapters in I can say I love the writing. I might have to look up a few words though.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Pretty much any of the City Watch books could be adapted for a TV series and work well, which seems to be what they're doing so I have high hopes for this. The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic adaptation was pretty faithful to the books so hopefully this will be too.

13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
  14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenrider

15. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Star Wars - A New Dawn

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I just (finally) wrapped up Snuff last month. I will eagerly look forward to this.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Just finished; Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey. I'd have to say this is my favorite entry in the Expanse series thus far. - 8/10

About to begin; Not sure. Got three candidates I'm going to sample from to see what snags my interest. Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia and Space Carrier Avalon by Glynn Stewart.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No matter what else I may happen to be reading I always have a book dedicated to some facet of history going, as well. I attempt to alternate between meaningful history and more pop culture oriented books. I just finished a brilliant, thorough book on Gatling and his invention of the death machine named after him and so I am now bleaching my soul with THE SHADOW: The History and Mystery of the Radio Program, 1930 - 1954 by Martin Grams.

[​IMG]

At 800 pages, to say it is "exhaustive" would be to epitomize understatement. It is a comprehensive history with brilliant scholarship on the character, his varying media appearances with emphasis on the radio broadcasts which catapulted the character out of pulp magazines into greater popularity and also made Orson Welles a literal household name.

@DebonaireNerd

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    X-Wing: Mercy Kill by Aaron Allston

Chromide and PCCViking like this.
  20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Finished Reapers Gale last night. Onto Return of the Crimson Guard.

Still trying to do Wall of Storms to but it’s no where near the lvl of greatness that was The Grace of Kings.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Last Jedi novelization

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Star Wars Moving Target

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Just finished reading All the Light you Cannot see.

Time to move on to the next.

24. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Star Wars The Last Jedi cross sections

25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Crucible

Jedi Knight Fett and PCCViking like this.