main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A Yank in the RAF, Harlan Thomas, 1942. Movie tie-in novel for the 1941 film with the same title, starring Tyrone Power and Betty Grable. Writing style is kind of flat, revealing nothing that wasn't in the movie. Trigger warning: don't read it or watch it if you're offended by Han Solo's behavior with Leia in ESB; Grable's character gets grabbed and kissed repeatedly against her will with no repercussions for the manly hero. Attitudes sure have changed.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had to chuck Patricia Cornwell's Chaos last night. It was dire - lots of yakking with very little action. I've liked her books in the past but lately they have turned into an ongoing soap opera about her niece, her husband, and Marino. I used to automatically buy the new pb when it came out but I think I'll check the reviews first in the future. The ones I saw on Amazon UK pretty much agreed with what I thought. One for the charity shop pile..

3. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Universal vs Disney. It’s about the theme park rivalry between the two

Juke Skywalker, wmu'14 and SWpants like this.
  4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That sounds interesting. How is it?

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I only got about 20 pages in before I got pulled into something else. But I hope to resume later

SWpants likes this.
  6. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    LOE is my favorite SW novel. I feel like it hardly contradicted the Tartakovsky's CW at all.

7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I finished reading Quint: The Boy, The Book and The Buildings by JD LaFrance and am now reading Little House on Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea MacBride

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Finished off Arm of the Sphinx. If you can find the time to add it and Senlin Ascends to your reading list, do so. It is a steam punk setting but you do not need to be a fan of the genre to enjoy this. There are many books I have enjoyed that I thought could use less pages. I wish these books had more. Happily, the third book is due this December.

They center around a tower that is miles wide and high. Senlin is off to the Tower on his honeymoon and loses his wife. His preconceived notions of the Tower are shattered.

Moving on to The Nine by Tracy Townsend.

9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Legacy Volume 2: Shards

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse #6) by James S.A. Corey.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Rereading Illuminae before I start on the next two books in the series

12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Nine could not hold my attention.

Moving on to my very first Dresden Files book Storm Front by Jim Butcher.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkien

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I still haven't seen the film.

[​IMG]

Mr. Forest likes this.
  16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well that was disappointing. HMD was great but the second book Throne of Jade was so boring to get through. Now I need to find something else to read.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Just revisited a good chunk of Alan Jones' Profondo Argento' (now known under it's goofier current title, Dario Argento: The Man, the Myths, the Magic'). I wish Jones would write a book on Michele Soavi - the snippets of intel delivered here are excellent and made me want more. Though Jones' brown nosing with Dario's daughter Asia was a bit much. It is in a book like this that you see what a blessing and curse it can be to be a fan who has befriended the person they admire so much.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Now reading From A Certain Point of View.

PCCViking and SWpants like this.
  19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Gemina by Amie K and Jay K

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Wrapping up Silmarillion and Watchmen, before starting up Dune this coming week. Only a little longer for this semester!

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Great Sea: A Human History of the Mediterranean, by David Abulafia. This is an excellent history of the Mediterranean Sea from prehistory to the modern day. Abulafia focuses on the sea itself, meaning mostly the growth of trade, travel, and civilizational interchange across it, as well as conflict over its control, rather than giving a broad history of the states bordering the Mediterranean. It allows him to keep tightly focused on the incredible history of the Mediterranean itself, "probably the most vigorous place of interaction between different societies on the face of this planet." The result is fascinating and highly informative; though even with a bulky book Abulafia can't go into intense depth on the thousands of years of history he addresses, he does a good job of immersing the reader in the overall story of the Mediterranean and providing enough detail to feel rich (though it still inspires the desire to read full histories of about eighty different sub-topics). Abulafia brings to life and makes good points about the Mediterranean's entire long history, from its role in the birth of diverse early civlizations, to its unification as the heart of the Roman Empire, to its colorful Medieval role as the bustling heart of interchange between three continents and three religions, to its eventual decline after the refocusing of the economy to the Atlantic, and the slow loss of the character of its multi-ethnic port cities in the face of emergent nationalism. A really great read.

Point Given , Dagobahsystem and Sarge like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Finished the first Dresden Files book. Not only does it read as Magnum P.I. as a wizard it even makes a reference to it. It was fun. I may pick up more.

Moving on to The Bards Of Bone Plain by Patricia McKillip.

SWpants likes this.
  23. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I've only heard good things about the Dresden Files. I keep meaning to pick the first up.

I'm reading Little Farm in the Ozarks by Roger Lea MacBride

24. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    For what it's worth, I read that first Dresden Files book a few years back and thought it was unbelievably terrible.

25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I retract my statement then.