main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep, "Living and Dying in Medieval Europe". It's a phenomenal class, but this particular book isn't exactly engaging.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Going to start Between the Plums by Janet Evanovich today. It has three Stephanie Plum stories in it

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I used to read her books, and I have a few in the 'to read' pile. I kinda went off the character for awhile.

Got two books going - The Lewis Man by Peter May (mystery) and The Histories by Herodotus (classic/non fiction). The latter is a 'curiousity' read and is pretty interesting.

4. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    crying strengthens the lungs and 99 other parental misconceptions.

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Just finished The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick. Much more than it initially appeared to be. I don't quite know how I felt at the end- not good, not bad, but changed somehow. I'm going through a very enjoyable spell right now where every book I read immediately finds a place in my personal pantheon of favourites (I have a feeling that's going to happen with my current book, too- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson).

Frank T. likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am navigating through 2 barely relatable books at the moment:

THE SICARII IN JOSEPHUS'S JUDEAN WAR: RHETORICAL ANALYSIS AND HISTORICAL OBSERVATIONS by Mark andrew Brighton

and the utterly unrelated in any possible way other than being bound and printed in ink on paper...

NO TRAVELER RETURNS: THE LOST YEARS OF BELA LUGOSI by Gary D Rhodes

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I am definitely reading that then. I love me some Punic Wars and became interested in Carthage (and Phoenicea) as a result.
    Oddly enough I was at Lake Trasimene just last week (LOL).

So I finished Game Change on my trip and finally started A Song of Fire and Ice (aka Game of Thrones). It's the first Fantasy book I've read in a long time and am really enjoying it.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Excellent. I'm slightly jealous of you, actually; you are experiencing your first ASOIAF read-through. I'm doing my best to live vicariously through one of my roommates, who just finished AGOT for the first time.

And I'm definitely jealous about the Lake Trasimene visit.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "I'm with you, too"! - Luke

Anything Carthaginian is my preference, but I do tend to read up on all related/conflicting cultures from that period. Hence, the blessedly tedious book I listed above.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cadillac Desert (1993) - Marc Reisner

[​IMG]

In the West, of course, where water is concerned, logic and reason have never figured very prominently in the scheme of things. As long as we maintain a civilization in a semidesert with a desert heart, the yearning to civilize more of it will always be there.

The simple need for water is incontrovertible. We will, quite simply, die without enough of it. And while it may seem in this modern era that water isn’t an issue any more, at least not to those of us in the United States, Reisner shatters that myth. The idea of simply turning on the tap and finding water there is one we’ve grown up with; however, that water itself is still a scant resource and the fact that we’ve invented more efficient ways of transporting it doesn’t change the fact that it isn’t a resource that is simply not renewing as fast as we’re using it.

On the face of it, one wonders if a book about the political and social history of water in the United States might be a little dry, pun very much intended. If you tried to read Hundley’s The Great Thirst, you’ll be afraid to pick this book up. But put Hundley out of your mind; Reisner has a gift for prose that sings. The book is filled with prose that ascends to the beauty of poetry and I can honestly say that I laughed out loud at least five times to a chapter. Reisner has an eye for the absurd and there’s certainly enough of it going on in this book to feed the humor mill. Besides that, Reisner has a wicked voice of sarcasm and he applies it to the federal government and its actions with a satirical bent that is sure to set even the most humorless into a couple of laughing jags.

There are still people who say they hate history or hate non-fiction books; this is one of the books to point them towards if you want to see them change their tune in a hurry. It’s a story, a story that stretches over centuries, but a story nonetheless and with characters as vibrant as any that could have been dreamed up by a fiction writer. John Muir, William Mulholland and his occasionally corrupt efforts to build Los Angeles, two brothers in a small town in Owens Valley who steadfastly resist the efforts of Los Angeles to take their water, perhaps most stunning of all the hilariously irascible and pungently anti-heroic Floyd Dominy, head of the Bureau of Reclamation. Even Reisner, for all his attempts to keep things moving, can’t help but bog down and devote an entire forty page chapter to Dominy, giving not just the details of his career with the Reclamation but often entirely unrelated anecdotes about his foul mouth, sexual proclivities and all around hilarious philosophy of life. How can one not be fascinated by someone who, when asked about his tenure with the Bureau, flatly stated, “I was the Messiah?”

If this sounds like an epic novel, it very well could be. The section dealing with the growth of Los Angeles is begging for the miniseries treatment; there are lifelong friendships shattered and then reformed on the deathbed, there are standoffs with militia, there is sabotage of pipelines, there is industrial espionage of the most blatant kind and it all ends with a trumped up charge and jail time that’s politically motivated. If you’re not on the edge of your seat through this section, maybe real life isn’t for you. This stuff is infinitely more suspenseful than most novels and the amusing thing is that we know how it comes out, at least, if you’re one of the few who’s actually heard of Los Angeles and happen to be aware that it’s a booming metropolis. I’ll admit to even shedding a tear at that deathbed reunion scene. This isn’t to say that Reisner is sappy or even pandering. It’s just that his readable prose flows into the eye like a voice flowing into the ear and the story comes across.

Finally, the book devolves into an utter screed against the federal government and the war between the Corp of Engineers and the Bureau of Reclamation. It’s a simple fact that people cling to life. If people are like this, so are government agencies. And so, despite the fact that every conceivable dam had been built, the Bureau and the Corps had to justify their existence by continuing to build them in places that didn’t need them, in places where the building of a dam actually made water transportation more difficult, not less, and occasionally in places where the terrain would not support a dam. This leads, in Reisner’s eyes, directly to the horrific Teton dam collapse in 1976. Reisner, writing about this collapse, ascends to levels of righteous indignation that pushes his prose to the level of apocalyptic. It’s like reading the book of Revelations in modern vernacular as he follows the sweep of water across Idaho, literally wiping towns off the map. For instance, Sugar City didn’t show up on the next map publication.

Reisner’s predictions look a bit off in the wake of twenty years of progress. He claims that the underground aquifers are being depleted at a tremendous rate (they are) and that the US will have to eventually abandon the desert states, having no pure water from underground and not enough facilities to either pump water in from the green states or desalinate ocean water. In a new afterword for a republication, he claims that disaster has been staved off this long because of changes in policy; whether that’s true or whether he simply overstated his case back in 86, it’s up to the reader to decide. Most probably, it is a combination of the two.

But the book isn’t fascinating for what it predicts but for what it shows us about human nature and the desire to improve, about government bureaucracy and the will to survive, about history and the authority to break the law. It’s a book of history that becomes a book of deep social and psychological insight. It’s a staggering work, one of the great American non-fiction works of the twentieth century. It deserves to be rediscovered.

5 out of 5 stars.

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Wow, we are hardcore nerds up in this %#^}*

I know this isn't the picture thread but it was just last week and this conversation is too crazy a coincidence so I've got to share...

Northern shore...
    [​IMG]
    Italy still gives Hannibal his props...
    [​IMG]

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That is lovely. Hannibal memorial boatways are a must. A Caligula Center for Family Guidance would also be a touch of class.

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  13. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    About to start "The Casual Vacancy."

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Bummer :(

Am in the middle of Sharon Shinn's Troubled Waters, a favorite of mine.

15. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Just started Zadie Smith's NW yesterday.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    About to start Return to Lankhmar, which is the third book collecting Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar stories. I read a few of these in various SF magazines back in the 70s but never got into them. However, I had the first book in the reading pile for ages and finally read it. So I hunted down the other books on Amazon UK and US (there are 4, published by White Wolf Publishing). If you are into sword/sorcery fantasy and haven't read these, I recommend them. They are lots of fun!

17. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    In the middle of So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish in my Hitchhiker's read-through.

Amazing.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    In the next 24-48 hours I hope to be reading Stephen Colbert's new book, which I bought off Amazon with a couple other books.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Finished A Storm of Swords last week (BTW, whoa. I am really looking forward to seasons 3 and 4 of GoT) and have moved on to A Feast for Crows.

RC-1991 likes this.
  20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Started rereading Ursula K. LeGuin's "The Left Hand of Darkness." I read it every two years or so, but I need to get to the used book store and get the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series going now that I am watching "Game of Thrones."

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Started The Casual Vacancy earlier today. I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet. On the one hand, its very well written, as I would expect for JK Rowling's eighth novel, but on the other hand, parts of this book have been a bit awkward, as its diction is very similar to that of Harry Potter, except that she's writing about jealous house wives and masturbating teenagers. It could just be my imagination, but somehow a couple of passages have given me the impression that there are wizards living in Pagford.

22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm reading Stephen Colbert new book, America Again: Re-becoming The Greatness We Never Weren't.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    [face_laugh] Which parts? If they're spoilerish, you can PM me. I didn't get that feeling at all!

24. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde.

The seventh book in the Thursday Next series.

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde.

The first of three (so far) in a series for children.

Dodger by Terry Pratchett.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Just finished re-reading Supergods, and now I'm kind of hungry for some historical non-fiction. Several of the books mentioned in this thread sound really exciting.