Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Jeffrey Toobin's The Nine. Great reporting, inside look at the relatively private Rehnquist court.
  2. Bender666 Jedi Master

star 2
    Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    This. Just started, but I'm 99% sure I know who Lamb is...
  4. Bender666 Jedi Master

star 2
    Logen Ninefingers? I'm starting later tonight.
    Last edited by Bender666, Nov 19, 2012
  5. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I didn't want to spoil it, but like... yeah, who else. Well, here's the thing - hulking, scarred older Northman who wears a glove, gets touchy and hurt when talking about violence, and whom another Northman backed away from. Logen.
  6. The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Padawan

star 1
  7. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i'm having a hard time getting going on anything since getting caught up on a song of ice and fire. i started the wheel of time series, but it's really not hooking me. might have to switch to non-fiction for a while or read some cormac mccarthy or something.
  8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Depends on what you mean by 'improve.' Stephen Donaldson started a second trilogy, of which The Wounded Land is the first, but the story gets more interesting as you progress thru the series. I found my copies at a used book store.
  9. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    If you're looking for fantasy, I'd recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora, about a gang of thieves in a sort of Renaissance-steampunk fantasy-Venice, or Heroes Die, about a future-Earth actor who travels to a fantasy dimension to serve as an assassin for the entertainment of audiences at home. If you haven't read them already.
  10. DDMAN26 Jedi Knight

The Revolution was Televised by Alan Sepinwall
  11. Danz Borin Jedi Master

star 1
    Good book. Loved it.
  12. The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Padawan

star 1
    I like it so far. 60 pages into it.
  13. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    just finished a farewell to arms, and now starting on old man and the sea, which will conclude my 4 book Hemingway spree. slightly out of order, but whatever.

i did enjoy farewell to arms, although I think I was more engrossed in for whom the bell tolls.

as an aside, i'm now reading almost exclusively on my ipad as opposed to normal books. i'm liking it. i've found that i've actually started reading more.
  14. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    I've been reading primarily on my ipad as well, it could be a little lighter, but other wise I love it, especially since I tend to start several books until I settle on one.
  15. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    The final book in The Sprawl Trilogy Mona Lisa Overdrive (one of the tunes for The Matrix is of the same name).
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    The Witch Hunter by Bernard Knight. It's one of his Crowner John books and is set in Exeter (UK) around 1195 AD. I've enjoying it. It's the first one I've read so I'm going to see if the local Waterstones bookstore has any of the others when I'm there next week. If not I might have to resort to Amazon UK.
  17. SWpants Force Ghost

star 4
    And now I'm on the 4th "Wheel of Time" book: The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan
  18. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Thomas Becket: Warrior, Priest, Rebel, by John Guy. A pretty good recent biography of Becket in which Guy is rightfully skeptical of the hagiographic sources, but his reassessment cuts both ways and ultimately provides a pretty fair take on Becket, though Henry II takes a beating. There are some points where he appears to buy into fairly puffy-sounding material without articulating why, as he usually does, but overall it's a quality effort.
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I second the Lies of Locke Lamora recommendation, but with a warning: This is supposed to be a 7-book series, but the third book has been delayed for several years due to the author's health problems. You'll fall head-over-heels in love and then join the rest of us in the waiting game.

The book about Becket sounds quite good.
  20. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    -Fate of the Jedi: Omen, Christie Golden
    -Changes, Mercedes Lackey
    And one serious one, Hungry Ghosts: Mao's Secret Famine, Jasper Becker. I'm always reading at least three, usually four books at a time. (Not bragging, it's the ADD)
    Last edited by Guinastasia, Nov 25, 2012
  21. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Back to Sherlock Holmes with The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

Amazing.
  22. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Team of Rivals. Just read the first chapter so far, but it's great!
  23. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Joe Abercrombie. First Law Trilogy. Trust me Tom. For all that is good and Nicholas Cagey* in the world, it's the best fantasy you can read if you like ASOIAF.

(* Including if Nicholas Cage played Robocop, the villain in Robocop, or both)
  24. DAR Force Ghost

star 4
    I want to read something in the EU just not sure what. I've heard good things about Darth Plagueis.

And after finding it on the Nook, there it is, buy, downloading and that's what I'll be reading.
  25. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Do it, it's a good one.