main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Headwind by John J. Nance. It's been in the 'to-read' bookcase for quite some time. I've read some of this other books and liked them. This one is pretty good so far.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In fact yes, right now. Not th ewhole thing at the moment though. I am rereading the Hiro/Librarian scenes as they discuss ancient Sumer and skipping ahead to the Raft. Snow Crash is one of those books that slipped my mind in the latest top ten this or that thread.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Brimstone Angels Lesser Evils

[​IMG]

I don't know what artist is directly responsible for teiflings having eyebrow horns but from the first I thought it was stupid looking and I do my best to imagine them otherwise. Anyway, the first was good and this author gets good praise.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Double post oops.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm currently reading Suetonius's biography of Augustus.

Havac likes this.
  7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm also reading Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich

NYCitygurl likes this.
  8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Valley of Fear, the last full length Sherlock Holmes novel.

Amazing.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    is it really that amazing? sometimes writers get sick of one medium or another (in this case the novel) and refocus on another (the short story). **** happens. calm your irascibles

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Gardens of the Moon.

I'm really liking it, though making slow progress thanks to constantly being distracted by CKII.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Is that the first Steven Erickson Malazon novel? I have a copy, and it's been on my to-read list for quite some time. I'm glad you think it's good!

12. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. Bought a copy ages ago and finally found it after my flat was refurbished.

Jedi Knight Fett and NYCitygurl like this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It is, yeah. I wanted to start on a big fantasy series that would take me ages to get through... Malazan fit the bill.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Good timing, emilsson :D

Ulicus I can already tell we're going to be friends :D Have you read The Wheel of Time?

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I haven't... yet. It was actually a toss up between that and Malazan for me. I'll get around to it eventually, I'm sure.

Though if the next Locke Lamora book is out by the time I've finished, I'll be reading that first. :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Finished my current book earlier. I think Lee Child's The Affair is next. It's been in the reading pile for a bit.

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, a thought on the Augustus biography: it's interesting to see just how seriously and how far he took his family values/public morals campaign. Not just in how he would dismiss senators and punish even members of his own family for defying his program, but how far it extended into the various facets of Roman life. I'll probably read the bio of Tiberius next; it will be interesting to compare it to Tacitus's version.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Who's the bio by?

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus, a Roman biographer from the 1st century CE. It's an excerpt from his Lives of the Twelve Caesars.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Odd Couple (1965) – Neil Simon

I’d say that if there is an evergreen comedy of the American theater, this would be it. First published in the mid-sixties, it inspired a classic film that still holds up to this day. The play is still being produced all over the world and when you read the play again, you realize why that is. It’s just as fresh, just as brilliantly funny, as it ever was. It’s an archetypal set up and Simon delivers it with maximum impact on the funny bone. Still a masterpiece of the theater; rent the movie again and then go see it live again – it’s playing somewhere near you, I’m sure.

Mommie Dearest (1978) – Christina Crawford

This book was numbered as a biography, but when I picked it up at the library, I saw it had been filed under fiction. Somebody making a statement? I stand by the film version, or at least Dunaway’s performance, which is utterly fearless and not terrible, as people say. But reading the book makes it even harder to buy the story as Crawford tells it. Crawford’s prose is beyond terrible and there are moments where she goes off into total tangents of horrible, painful, literally embarrassing rants about her mother that, frankly, make me think that Crawford herself probably has some serious bipolar issues. I have little doubt that Crawford was probably a bad mother, but I also have little doubt that Crawford has embellished tons of details here. As hatchet jobs go, this one is less credible, more poorly written and more embarrassing to the author than to the subject. Watch the movie for a harrowing performance by Dunaway; skip the book, unless you enjoy seeing someone wallow in self-pity for two hundred pages or so.

Caught in the Middle (1997) – Gayle Roper

Somebody gave me this book. Rookie journalist moves to Amhearst, PA, gets involved in a humorous, cozy little mystery. Apparently, the first in a series, but the series will have to go on without me as I found this book completely uninteresting.

The Negotiator (2000) – Dee Henderson

A friend dropped a whole series of Dee Henderson books by my house while I was laid up with an injury and I blazed through them in pure desperation. In this one, Kate O’Malley, she of the wondrous O’Malley clan, tries to balance her work as a hostage negotiator with falling in love and coming to know Jesus. Yes, it’s one of those. What can you say about a book like this one? I’m not the target audience.

The Guardian (2001) – Dee Henderson

U.S. Marshal Marcus O’Malley, he of the wondrous O’Malley clan, is assigned to protect a beautiful young woman who just happens to be a witness in a federal murder case. Do they fall in love? They do? Is there a modicum of PG-rated suspense? There is? Does Jesus get mentioned so often He should get royalties? He does? You need to know nothing else about this book.

More Book Reviews!

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

The author has a Ph.D in String Theory so I trust him to write fiction.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

RC-1991 likes this.
  24. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So Suetonius's biography of Augustus is so complementary at times that I question whether or not I accidentally downloaded a copy of the Res Gestae. But it's interesting nonetheless.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Firedrake by Nick Kyme. It's the second book of the Warhammer 40k Tome of Fire trilogy.