What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Bakersfield CA' started by Jedi_Riibu, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    I love books and I love reading. I have a bad habit of buying books before I've read all the ones that I already own. It's a curse..

What about everyone else? What sort of books do you enjoy? Any favorites? Star Wars or not Star Wars.

I've been catching up on Clone Wars stuff recently, in addition to reading the actual Episode 3 books. I was thinking of writing reviews for those as I get the time.

Right now I'm reading War of the Worlds in preparation for the new movie. I've seen the old movie and heard the radio broadcast, but I've never actually read the book. So now seemed like a good time.
  2. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    The last Star Wars book I read was Jedi Trial. (Hit the link for a summary and more reader reviews.)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/roseangelo/jeditrial.jpg]

All I can really say is that this is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE book!! Obi-Wan is written out in the first chapter, Anakin sounds like he's 14, and the entire thing is littered with annoying, inconsequential secondary characters.

The bulk of this story is incredibly dull military strategy. The only thing I got out of this book was two paragraphs near the end when Anakin hears Qui-Gon's voice as he's about to do something very bad because he's let anger overtake him.

This is supposed to be the story of how Anakin earns his promotion from Jedi Padawan to Jedi Knight. This is a really sad (as in pathetic) tale to earn promotion from and the actual Knighting isn't even covered in this book (probably because it's in the Clone Wars cartoon). This story really shouldn't have been written. A story of such importance should have actually been important.
  3. Jedi_Anais Jedi Master

star 2
    The last Star Wars book I'vr read was Heir to the Empire. It was the first time I read the entire thing cover to cover(I tend to skip over any parts which, at first glance, seem dull [face_blush]). I liked it. It was true to the series and had Luke, Leia and Han in character, unlike a lot of the EU books.

As for non-Star Wars, I'm currently working on It by Stephan King. Only morbid curiosity and my extreme dislike of leaving books half-read is keeping me from returning it to the library, it's by far the creepyist book I've ever read.
  4. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    The books of the Trawn Trilogy were among the first Star Wars books that I read. I recall enjoying all of them enough to rush out and buy the next as soon as I finished one, but in the end there were so many small things that bugged me about them that I would never consider them even close to being my favorites.

In short: Mara Jade annoys me, the use of clones in any story written before the release of AOTC is stupid and obviously unplausible based on what we know now, and R2-D2 does not require help getting through any terrain, no matter how impossible it may seem for him (somehow or other he finds a way).

I've never read any Stephen King, but I'd say the creepiest book I've ever read is Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Bradbury is a Master of science fiction; everything by him is worth reading.
  5. Admiral-Snackbar-81 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The Thrawn Trilogy was fantastic. But I have a beef with Zahn's writing. for example:

"Darnit, the Zahn books all say cursed under his breath too much," Admiral Snackbar cursed beneath his breath, "They just say cursed under his breath on every other page, and it makes me curse under my breath"
  6. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    And they also say soandso "let out a breath he/she didn't realize he/she was holding."

Actually, if I browsed through them a bit, I'm sure I could find more. I had quite a few beefs with his writing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.