main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What "BOOK" was Grievous first mentioned...?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GoG, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Lets say there were no comics, or no Clone Wars cartoon.. Prior to Labyrinth Of Evil, when was he mentioned, or is Lab the first mentioning of him?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it's The Cestus Deception.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    In the "HoloNet News" pieces this past year-and-a-half, from the SW Insider.

There was a brief "[the] office of General Grievous" tidbit in late 2003, followed by the CIS bounty-posting by Ventress (15:01:15 date) not long thereafter.

4. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    I may have mistyped what I meant.. Unless I misread what you did...

I meant as far as in the story, in the actual books.. Not like magazines and insider stuff. In the books/story, when does Greivous first get into the whole Sith situation and how dos he meet Dooku

5. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    The "HoloNet News" pieces are every bit as "in-universe" as the novels and comics, but if you mean Grievous's personal encounters with Dooku, it'd be Labyrinth of Evil. The novel is only work to date where we see them together, man-to-mutilated-cyborg, although the General Grievous mini-series is still ramping up.

Otherwise, the HNN entries are the first official acknowledgement that we ever saw.

6. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    Ugh. Dangit.. I just wanna know then... what book do I read first, that comes after Episode II, and in what order, leads to Labyrinth!

I sorry I am a butt!

7. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    If you're looking for Grievous' origin, and when he meets Dooku, I don't think it's in one of the books.
    In fact, I think it happens in the "Visionaries" graphic novel.

8. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    The ONLY book which Grevious appears in is Labrynth of Evil.

In all other Clone Wars novels he's either mentioned in passing, or not at all.

Understand?

9. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    first in print mention was in the boba fett series by scholastic, not lab.

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I though he appeared in one of the Boba Fett books...

11. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Well... yeah. Fine. I wasn't counting them, 'cause they suck. Certainly not because I forgot or anything. :p

Also, I figured he was refering to the 'adult' novels.

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm pretty sure it's The Cestus Deception.

Nope, there was a big thing when the fifth book in the Boba Fett series, A New Threat, came out about it marking Grievous's literary debut. That was his first book appearance.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought he meant chronologically (in-universe), in which case TCD would be before A New Threat.

14. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    How anoying. I bought Labyrinth tonight all happy and ready, and willing. And now I find out there are the CLONE WAR NOVELS I should read, so I can better understand. I guess I will go and buy Shatterpoint now..as far as novels go.

Thanks all for your help.

15. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Grab The Cestus Deception and Republic Commando: Hard Contact while you're at it...despite what some folks around here seem to think about Cestus, it's garnered very solid raves outside this site, and in critical circles.

The Dark Horse Clone Wars comic trade collections offer a wonderful view of the entire conflict of the whole, if you haven't followed SW: Republic up to this point. Well worth picking up.

16. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I hate to say it, but Yoda: Dark Rendevouz too. Its not entirely nessecary (IE doens't hold many important plot points) But it is SO GOOD.

17. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    Awesome.. Thanks all, again. I will get all te books mentiond, take some days of of work, get a few 12 packs of diet soda, pizza and READ!

GoG

18. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I've heard that there are some nice tie-ins between LoE and Y:DR (I have yet to read LoE, ordered my copy today in fact), but he's right; Y:DR is an awesome book and you must must must read it. I already was fascinated by Dooku, but wow, after that novel he's one of my favorite characters in the saga. The way it deals with the relationship between Dooku and Yoda is great, and it's an excellent book overall. One of he best SW novels to date, in fact, if not the best outright. Certainly either Y:DR or Shatterpoint is the best of the prequel books I've read.

But if you really want the Clone Wars experience, you need to be picking up the comics, too. They actually handle the war twenty times better than the books. Look for the TPBs in your bookstore.

-Paul

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    . . . and when I click my fingers, you'll all snap out of this reverie. [face_hypnotized]

20. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Why did I have the feeling that would get Excellence's attention? :p Out of curiosity, what do you think is the pinnacle of prequel-era lit? Or do you appreciate it any at all?

-Paul

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I believe you can show a supernaturally empowered wizard as both competent and skilled, without making the person dumbed down to advantage the villains.

As I've said, if they have to die in numbers, that's fine, but not in the most ridiculously easy ways, as seen in CW2.

I reviewed why I enjoyed Hard Contact so much before. Not everyone thinks to mention even offhand the air is arid outside a spacecraft just landed in the outdoors. Karen did, as do I, which made it fun to spot.

Shatterppoint's main character and prose were too arrogant to bear, Dark Rend was utter slushpile, so really that's all I've read book-wise, and intend to.

Pinnacle? Clone Wars 4. All the Jedi issues, Best Blades I especially enjoyed. The camera angles were incredible!

I just bought Bram Stoker's Dracula, so I'm interested to see how a book a hundred years ago was prosed.

22. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    Did I totaly miss something?

23. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"and in critical circles"<<

Like the World Famous Cestus Love Brigade! [face_batting]

24. DarthStinkyBritches

DarthStinkyBritches Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    Personally, I don't think Shatterpoint, Jedi Trial, or Dark Rendezvous added anything to the clone wars storyline. They were all just throwaway stories where nothing significant at all happened. I haven't read Cestus or Medstar yet, but Labyrinth of Evil is really the only novel worth reading since it advances the clone wars story by leaps and bounds. The others are just battles. If you like that stuff, cool, but you can get the full story without them.

Excellence is correct about the comics. There's so much to eat up in the comics. They are consistently well written and I care about what happens.

Reading Dark Rend. I was already bored in the first 10 pages. Was the hope that Dooku would turn good supposed to be suspenseful? Cause it wasn't.

25. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I may be the only person on the boards who didn't like Hard Contact. Even all my friends that I provide books to loved Hard Contact. I love the other books by the same author. But I just didn't like Hard Contact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.