main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Books & Comics Should I Read? / Where Should I Start in the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're welcome ::)

EDIT- I've added Truce at Bakura to the list.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    You forgot to take off Rendezvous, 2ndQuest. Why let a dust mote ruin a good reflection, eh? [face_batting]

Not to call this obsolete, but it's not like people can't peruse the listings at the front of most SW books. I'd concentrate more on the comic angle, as they stopped the comprehensive lists of them around the CW1 TPB, and many have omitted them since.

This site really needs a full comic compendium and TPB reviews.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I think we get more people coming to the forum looking for SW books to read, and with the books it's a bit more confusing as to where to start, from a story-perspective, versus the comcis where you can usually pick up a one-shot miniseries or a self-contained series fairly easily.

Still, I think I've sparsed a good amount of comic reccomendations into the piece to make it fairly balanced.

4. idle

idle Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2005
    My first post. I'd just like to say this Thread has been very handy, thanks!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're welcome and- welcome! ::)

6. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    I only started reading the Star Wars novels a few weeks ago and one of my friends, who has read the majority of the books, suggested that the Thrawn trilogy be read first. I read those three books and they were quite simply three of the best books that have read, and i have read quite a few. Although Truce at Bakura comes right after ROTJ, I do not recommend that book as a starting point. Many of the characters in That book never show up in any other books, aside from the stars of ROTJ. I also think that Truce at Bakura is quite boring and it took me awhile to get through.

7. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    what is considered to be the direct lead in to attack of the clones? is there one?
    thanx!!!

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Novel-wise, the book leading directly into AOTC is The Approaching Storm, though it is not as heavily connected to AOTC as LOE is to ROTS. It focuses on Obi-wan and Anakin's mission on Ansion (which Mace Windu mentions in the movie they've just returned from) and also features Barriss Offee and Luminara. It's got some great character moments but is somewhat slow in pace.

Comics-wise, Jango Fett: Open Seasons sets up Jango's role as the clone army template, and also tells his backstory. So it could be considered a set-up for AOTC to a certain degree.

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 23, 2003
    I'm about to delve into the EU for the first time and I was wondering if I could ONLY read the novels and no comics? Does anything important plotwise happen in the comics? Will I be missing anything during the Clone Wars or in the post ROTJ era?

Also, I know about the Palpatine clone in Dark Empire. Are those events mentioned in later books, specifically the NJO series? I really don't like the idea of Vader not wiping out the Sith.

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Well . . . just some of the best and actually worthwhile stories happen in comicdom. Go for it!

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 23, 2003
    But will I be missing any plotpoints? Will I still understand everything in the novels without the comics?

12. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    You'll miss a lot of the Clone Wars.

>>"I know about the Palpatine clone in Dark Empire. Are those events mentioned in later books, specifically the NJO series?"<<

From time to time, yes.

13. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    The Dark Empire is one of the few comics that has really major events in my opinion but most people hate them so I wouldn't advise them.

The Clone Wars comics are very cool but there aren't too many huge battles, I'd say the Battle of Jabiim (Clone Wars Volume 3) and The Dreadnaughts of Rendili (Clone Wars Volume 6). The siege of Saleucami seems pretty important too. And then there's the battle of Kamino in Clone Wars Volume 1 but the fight seemed rather short to me and they didn't show enough of the space fight in there IMO.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The novels function for the most aprt without the comics, but they can be enhanced by them.

there are probably three points where the comics do have more relevance and can help clarify things in certain novels though:

-The later plotlines of the X-Wing comics do factor into the 8th X-Wing book, Isard's Revenge. It stills works without them, but certain events referenced are more familair if you've read the comics.

-Dark Empire's events are fairly significant and, in particular, connect to the state of galactic affairs at the start of the Jedi Academy Trilogy. If Palpatine's return bothers you, you can try looking at it from the perspective that what Vader achieved was simply enforced and continued through his children's actions.
    An alternative to reading the comics is to read the transcript of the Audio Dramas for the DE saga, which are available online at theforce.net/timetales/

-The comics really took the Clone Wars by storm, combined with the pre-AOTC storyliness from the series (Twilight, Darkness and Rite of Passage in particular), Quinlan Vos becomes the hands-down star of the prequel era EU. Additionally the writing, stories and art are not-notch and among the best EU available.
    By contrast, the CW novels have been mixed in reaction (some have gitten raves, otehrs heavily disliked) but they generally act fairly stand-alone, though there is mention or appearances by comics characters such as Asajj Ventress.

15. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    In the Clone Wars, IMO, the comics are essential to getting the big picture. It's where most of the storys are, allthough there are plenty of short stries. The books as far as I an tell only seem to focus on individual conflicts, not the war as a whole. I would say you'd get a better picture of the clone wars (no pun intended) by reading the comics, then just the books. Also the Clone Wars shorts help show the Clone Wars on a bigger scale.

16. The_Resident

The_Resident Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    I didn't mind Dark Empire that much. I didn't like the coloring, the plot was a bit too campy, even for Star Wars.

The X-Wing series is the best place to start, IMO. Although none of the major characters in the movies have big roles here, the action and the writing is quite good. Truce at Bakura wasn't special.

Avoid Planet of Twilight like the f'ing plauge. It turned me off the EU completly.

I personally didn't like the later EU novels. I'd suggest reading from Truce at Bakura up untill JAT, then skipping to the NJO. Don't bother with the rest, they got a bit too wierd and convoluted in my opinion.

17. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    What ever you do, don't start with The Hand of Thrawn Dulogy. I got my mom to, and she didn't like them at all.

18. Darth_Litigarus

Darth_Litigarus Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    I guess it depends what information you deem "important". The Thrawn and Jedi Academy trilogies progress the overall Star Wars storyline by featuring characters and events that shaped the events that followed. By the time of the Crystal Star, The New Rebellion, The Correllian Trilogy and the Black Fleet trilogy, the stories became more episodic as the events that take place have no real long-term impact and the characters themselves are not progressed or changed. It was not until the Thrawn duology and Vector Prime that the Star Wars EU got out of its rut

19. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2005
    "Children of Jedi, Darksaber and Planet of Twilight form a loose psuedo-trilogy of stand-alone novels.

Each function alone but feature a character named Callista, who is introduced in COTJ, plays a larger role in DS and exits the stage in POT.

Storywise, not counting the few COTJ plot threads it continues, Darksaber functions more like a sequel to the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

People are usually mixed on COTJ, from what I've seen. They either like it or hate it.

Darksaber is usually more positively recieved (but if you didn't like the writing style of the JAT, you probably won't like DS's eitehr since it's the same author).

PoT tends to be grouped together with The Crystal Star as the least liked of the EU, but there are people who still like it."

Sorry to take so long to reply(my comp was messed up) but isn't the introduction of a major character from DS make COTJ a must read for me to understand DS or am I incorrect?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's been awhile since I've read them but I believe the necessary backstory about who Callista is is summed up in DS through exposition, however optimally, yes, you would read COTJ first to get the full effect, but again, since they were designed to be standalones, DS can be read by itself.

21. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2005
    So DS should just be read by itself?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say "should" so much as "could". It's up to the individual to decide- you might like COTJ, you might not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.