main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Books & Comics Should I Read? / Where Should I Start in the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    With such a plethora of titles available for Star Wars literature, it can often be a daunting task to determine where a good place to begin is. There really are a number of great places to begin, but where and what these are can vary from person to person, since everyone has their own opinions (you're bound to find at least one person or loves or hates any particular title).

In this thread you'll find a summary of the most commonly given suggestions and approaches for exploring the Expanded Universe:

1) General Introduction
    2) Choose an Era
    3) Chronological Order

-General Introduction

There are a handful of titles that are usually the first to be recommended by other fans as good starting places- this is, besides the actual quality of the work, most likely because these titles are either standalone stories or they are more connected to the films/ do not rely heavily on characters & events from other books.

These titles are:
    • -The "Thrawn Trilogy": a series set 5 years after Return of the Jedi and basically was the launching point of the modern publishing material. Probably the most often-recommended starting point in the EU. Stars the heroes of the Classic Trilogy. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising & The Last Command)

• -The X-Wing series: Another fan favorite, this time following the exploits of Wedge Antilles and his fighter pilots shortly after Return of the Jedi through 9 years after Endor. (Series I: Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap & The Bacta War; Series II: Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist & Solo Command; Series III: Isard's Revenge; Series IV: Starfighters of Adumar)

• -Shadows of the Empire: This "bridge novel" covers the timespan and events between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Features Vader, Luke, Leia, Lando and more.

• -Cloak of Deception: This political thriller sets the stage for the events of The Phantom Menace, and is also the earliest occurring adult novel on the timeline. Stars Qui-Gon and Obi-wan.

• -Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter: A more action oriented story also set just prior to The Phantom Menace.

• -Outbound Flight: Set The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and featuring (though not starring) Obi-wan & Anakin in a prequel to the various Thrawn books.

• -Shatterpoint: The first Clone Wars novel written, focusing on Mace Windu and the horrors of war.

• -Labyrinth of Evil: The official lead-in to Revenge of the Sith!

• -Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader: Set in the aftermath of ROTS as Darth Vader obsessess over Order 66 survivors while adjusting to his new body.

• -The Tales of the Jedi series: This comic series is set some 4,000 years before the films, and, with it's primary story arc (which starts with Knights of the Old Republic-not to be confused with the game or actual comic series of the same name), delves into the ancient Jedi and Sith conflicts. This fan-favorite series also acts as backstory to the popular Knights of the Old Republic video games. (Knights of the Old Republic, The Freedon Nadd Uprising (if you can find it), Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War & Redemption)

• -The Knights of the Old Republic series: This comic series, set after Tales of the Jedi, but before the Knights of the Old Republic video games follows a padawan on the run, set against the backdrop of the emerging Mandalorian Wars.

• -The Clone Wars comics: These highly-recommended comics follow heroes new and old through the turbulent Clone Wars, from the Battle of Kamino to a damned-fool idealistic crusade...(Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino, Volume 2: Victories & Sacrifices, Volume 4: Light & Dark, Volume 3: Last Stand on Jabiim, Volume 5: The Best Blades, Volume 6: On the Fields of Battle, Volume 7: When They Were Brothers, Volume 8: The Last Siege, The Final Truth, Volume 9: Endgame)

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DarthVankai: where can one find these books/comics?

I'm interested into reading about the EU. Would amazon.com have these? Thanks.

Pretty much all of them should be available through amazon.com, barnes & Noble or other major bookstores (even the graphic novel comic collections).

4. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    *sigh* Reposting for the third time:

Well Summer is nearly here and it's time I figure out what books I'm going to read. After seeing Episode III, I figure I might finally decide to delve into the expanded universe.

Here's the deal: I don't want to read anything that contradicts the movies. I'm still in that boat that isn't sure whether or not to consider the EU canon.

Preferably, I would like to read a SW novel that might actually be considered literature--implying use of literary themes, motifs and symbols. Not to sound too geeky (heh, this is a Star Wars board), but I would really like to be able to look deeply and analytically at a Star Wars novel, just as I would with a Star Wars movie. I want something that mythical, but adventurous. Unlike Tom Clancy novels, which are simply just stories and political yarns (not to dis on Clancy or anything), I want something true to the spirit of Star Wars but, at the same time, something that has depth.

So, where should I start? You guys should know best.

Thanks. :)

5. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    For literary themes read Shatterpoint. You'll get "the journey," "man v.s nature," "good v.s. evil," "tradition v.s. modernity." It is a pretty heavy book to read.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    ... and order of release?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've added a link to a thread about that. I'll go more in depth soon.

8. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    So far, the consensus seems to be that Shatterpoint is the real work of literature of SW EU. But, then again, I haven't heard that many other opinions. I read the Thrawn Trilogy, which was good, but it was just stories. Not much to think about.

9. DarthRonin1976

DarthRonin1976 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Which prequel books should I read in order to catch up, and help bridge the gap between EP3 and 4? Should I read teh novilisation of EP3? Shatterpoint? Labyrinth of Evil?

Help me Jedi Council Forums. You're my only hope.

10. raperks

raperks Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Thanks 2nd Quest, I registered a minute ago just to ask where I should start in the star wars literature saga.
    I am interested in the Novels, not really the comic books. Ive read Labyrinth of evil, then somebody brought me Tattoine Ghost. I really enjoyed them both an am just wondering where to go now.

I really enjoy both the era around the clone wars (Rise of the empire is it?) and the period after the battle of endor.

I was just wonderng what the procedure is now? whats the best way to carry on as I assume its a bad idea to buy books randomly as it will distort my idea of the timeline. I think Im going to start with the Thrawn trilogy, however after them im lost.

Thanks all

11. MasterJoda23

MasterJoda23 Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Hello. I am very interested in SW EU. Specifically older times when the Sith were more prominent. I am also interested in Specific characters such as Yoda and Darth maul. My question is are there any novels focused on these topics? I've read Shadow hunter and I am begining to read cloak of deception.

I also have another question... What is the order of books that includes the titles shatter point and cestus deception? I admit I am totally clueless when it comes to EU any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    StarDude - Beyond Matt Stover's work, the only others I can think of offhand that might fall into what you're looking for would be Cloak of Deception (with it's political thriller aspects) and I, Jedi (which is told first-person, so you get into a character's head more than most books do).

But most SW books do tend to emulate the movies' focus on action and adventure.

You might want to look into some of the Clone Wars comics actually, they have a few thought-provoking issues (like the one fetauring Bail).

DarthRonin1976- If you are looking to bridge the gap between trilogies, there's not too much just yet. Luceno has a book coming out next year set just after Episode 3 titled Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, which sorta starts that era off (to be followed by three paperbacms over the next few years), though if you want to start on something to prepare yourself for that, it is supposed to form something of a psuedo-trilgoy with Labyrinth of Evil and the ROTS novelization, which are already out, so those might be something to look into until Dark Lord comes out.

Beyond that, The Han Solo Trilogy does a pretty good job of setting up the characters and events of the classic film era (particularly Han, Chewie, Lando, Boba, Jabba & Xizor).

raperks- For the Clone Wars era, give Shatterpoint and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous a try.

For the post-ROTJ era, since you've read Tat. Ghost, the stage is set pretty well for the Thrawn Trilogy so I don't think you can go wrong with those.

After that, you might want to jump back on the timeline a bit and give the X-Wing series a try, as they nicely compliment Zahn's work in the Thrawn trilogy.

From there the only way forward is to the Jedi Academy Trilogy & I, Jedi. (though you might want to at least read up on the basic events of the Dark Empire comics befor doing so).

MasterJoda23- The main sources featuring the ancient times are in the Tales of the Jedi comics, Knights of the Old Republic video game and Jedi vs Sith comic. However, there are two books coming out set during this era, the first of which focuses on Darth Bane (who started the "rule of two" and appears in Jedi vs Sith), but the first of these books won't be out until late 2007.

Darth Maul only appears in one novel (Shadow Hunter) though he has am e-book short story titled Saboteur (included in the paperback of Cloak of Deception) as well as the comic series Darth Maul.

Yoda really only features heavily in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, the rest of the time he's mainly utilzied as a Jedi Council member. There is also the Jedi: Yoda comic one-shot collected in Clone Wars Volume 5 as well.

>>I also have another question... What is the order of books that includes the titles shatter point and cestus deception?<<

The Clone Wars books occur in the following chronological order:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    Shatterpoint
    The Cestus Deception
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer
    Jedi Trial
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Labyrinth of Evil

You can find a full lsiting of all clone wars material 9books, comics, games, etc) in this timeline thread, and if you want a listing of all major EU titles (including those comics set during the ancient times), follow the Star Wars Timeline link at the top of the forum.

13. DarthRonin1976

DarthRonin1976 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Hey thanks, mate.

14. evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    Yes the EU is a very daunting task to start but the rewards are worth it in my opinion.

15. Jorus_Hano

Jorus_Hano Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I want to dive into the EU by starting from the very first novel, which I thought was "Cloak of Deception". But I just found out that there are quite a few young readers' novels out there, and some of them ("Jedi Apprentice" etc.) take place before "Cloak of Deception".

Bare in mind that I'm 17, so I still kinda qualify as a "young reader", but these young readers' novels are a little hard to find in the UK. So my question is, should I bother reading them? Or should I just start with "Cloak of Deception" and continue the saga from there?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Apprentice: Special Editions, Jedi Quest, Legacy of the Jedi, Secret of the Jedi and Last of the Jedi books all seem to create their own mini-saga.

You usually don't find heavy connections to their events in the adult novels, though there might be the occasional offhand reference.

So, you shouldn't have any problems starting with Cloak of Deception- it's a good starting point and you won't get the impression you've missed anything.

17. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    I read the Jedi Apprentice novels. They were good but started sucking towards the end.

18. Jorus_Hano

Jorus_Hano Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Thanks, guys. I remember hearing about "Jedi Apprentice" being a little cheesy, but perhaps I'll read the first one and see what it's like.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I understand it, they're still pretty enjoyable (and frankly, after reading the part with Qui-Gon in Legacy of the Jedi, I was highly tempted to go read JA just to read more of Qui-Gon).

Also, by young adult, they usually mean reading levels aimed at readers age 9-12, so expect them to be below your reading level (but again, that doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed).

20. DarthXander

DarthXander Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I started reading EU when i was what about 10 and admittedly i have always ahd a reading age at least five years my senior, i think the first Star Wars Books i read were the novelisations of the OT, this gave a much deeper insight into much of the things in the film and from their the quest for knowledge grows.

I then went on to read the Empire Triology (which i am rereading) and the X-Wing series, both of these keep fairly faithful to the themes and ideals of the OT and the characters in them fit very nicely with the SW universe, i wouldnt be suprised if the Empire Trilogy were to become something similar to what would have been episodes VII VIII & IX, really it depends mostly on the era you are interested in, at the moment obviously the focus is on the PT but im sure soon enough EU for both eras will be around again.

21. AdamComic2

AdamComic2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I am starting with THE TRUCE AT BAKURA and going for the book from there out. I'm skipping the X-WING stuff and doing COURTSHIP, TATOOINE GHOST, the ZAHN stuff, etc. The only comics I'm reading are the DARK EMPIRE stuff which I heard are awesome. There sure is a lot to cover.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Out of curiosity- why have you decided to skip the X-Wing series?

23. Darth_Santos

Darth_Santos Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2004
    I will start reading the EU with Cloak of Deception. Questions:

1) Chronologically speaking, what should I read after C.O.D.?

2) What does the "Empire Trilogy" consist of?

3) The Truce at Bakura takes place how long after the battle at Endor?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> 1) Chronologically speaking, what should I read after C.O.D.?<<

Either the comic "Darth Maul" or the novel "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter".

>>2) What does the "Empire Trilogy" consist of?<<

I believe he's referring to "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" & "The Last Command", more commonly referred to as the "Thrawn Trilogy".

>>3) The Truce at Bakura takes place how long after the battle at Endor? <<

The day after.

25. Darth_Santos

Darth_Santos Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2004
    Thank you, T2Q.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.