main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What books should GM's not be without?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Rogue_Thunder, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Hey, I'm a regular meat and potatos kind of guy. I generally don't need that in my game, but if it works for your group, more power to you.

2. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    I think arguing about whether there should or should not be a Monster manual for SW is kind of a moot point since WotC has already announced the schedualled release of the Creature Compendium for the summer.

3. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    As long as it doesn't give each creature a challenge level, or whatever crap D&D uses to gauge XP.
    Incidentally, what's next on the SW to be released list? I went to the Strat recently and they had nothing new, and nothing forthcoming.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Tramp: Thanks, I didn't know that.

Tremaniac: There's also a Villain's Guide and Geonosis and the Outer Rim worlds coming, but that's all I've heard so far.

5. MatevKenas

MatevKenas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2003
    I also think the idea of needing a creature manual is unnesscessary for SW, there are plently of creatures in the publications if you look hard enough. Heck, in the DS sourcebook, they have a whole section of Sith beasties to throw at your PCs, and I suspect most of the WoTC books have some sort of section like that in them.

6. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Hmmmn, I'll probably pick up Geonosis and the Outer Rim. If I'm still GMing at that point.

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The first of two planned sourcebooks covering the events of the Clone Wars is also scheduled to debut this fall, with the second one around a year afterward.

8. DexRicon

DexRicon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2003
    Geonosis and the Rim Worlds is coming out sometime next month. As for the Clone Wars stuff coming out next fall, can you believe that the spring after that, 28 years of Star Wars mythology will finally be complete?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Two Clone Wars Sourcebooks??? Has this been confirmed?

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yep, by Wizards reps, and from authors who're posting here, like Dan Wallace.

Reportedly, the first volume will be covering the events that are set during the first couple or so years of the wars (up through Jabiim, probably); the second volume will go from there up through Episode III.

11. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Now that sounds like a must get to me!

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow. Big news, indeed.

13. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Books:

Fantastic Technology: Droids
    Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear

Yes, I know they're D6, and you're probablly playing D20, but that doesn't mean you can't modify or adapt.

14. Ryozo

Ryozo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    The fact of the matter is, WEG's books are still excellent source material for a Star Wars RPG - and, indeed, for any sci-fi/near-future gaming session. Kier_Nimmion suggested the Imperial and Rebel Sourcebooks; and someone else mentioned the Galaxy Guides - I'd second both recommendations, and raise them the Rules of Engagement supplement (aside from special-ops info, it has some handy tips on making stormtroopers properly dangerous) as well as the Death Star Technical Companion.
    Whatever you might think of Palladium, their Aliens Unlimited sourcebook is a godsend if you need aliens-in-a-hurry. As long as we're here, feel free to look up their Robotech/Macross material.
    Good call on the anime art books; it's amazing how easily a good deal of those designs can make the jump. Imagine the look of surprise on fighter-pilot PCs' faces when they see that unusually-configured fighter transform into a robot...

15. Jedi_Rhysode

Jedi_Rhysode Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2004
    I might be getting off topic here, but I've been a SW fan forever (im young so 7 years feels like forever) but I only played a SW RPG once. It was the old d6. I liked it alot and wanted to get into it but I couldn't get my hands on the books so I got the WotC RCRB. I wanna start playing with a group of friends, but none of us are gamers, and since im the one with all the initiative to play, I'm the default GM. I've read through most of the core rulebook but theres stuff I just cant get. Does it take actual gameplay to make the rules make sense? And I also don't like the idea of flipping through the book constantly to find modifyers and penalties and charts and junk. Im totally at a loss for how to GM this game properly. Should I buy some source books or should I hold off on that till I get more experianced? And for combat, how necessary are models for the characters? can I just draw up maps on graph paper and work it out pencil 'n' paper? I bought 1 full set of dice and a few extra d20's for the other guys, is that enough? I know thats alot of questions but I need lots of help

16. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I've only been playing the RPG for a year and a GM since christmas but I'll try and answer as best I can:

Does it take actual gameplay to make the rules make sense?

Yes. It helps to get together with your friends once, maybe even twice to create characters and have a few practice rounds of combat.

I also don't like the idea of flipping through the book constantly to find modifyers and penalties and charts and junk.

Until you're really familiar with the rules you'll hafto do this for awhile. Our groups other GM has been doing this for a LONG time and sometimes he needs to consult the books. Yeah, it holds up game play but it never takes too much time to look up a rule. You can also cut down on this by making notes before each session and indicating which page specific rules can be found on. Since you're the GM your word comes above the books (incase the rules don't cover the situation or you've come up with 'house rules' [remember to be consistent with these rules though])

Im totally at a loss for how to GM this game properly. Should I buy some source books or should I hold off on that till I get more experianced?

Wait and see if you like the game first - and if your players like it too. The RCRB should have everything you'll need to run a campaign. If you like it and want to supplement it then get the source books.

And for combat, how necessary are models for the characters? can I just draw up maps on graph paper and work it out pencil 'n' paper?

You can use graph paper. Models aren't important at all. They just look cool ;)

I bought 1 full set of dice and a few extra d20's for the other guys, is that enough?

A full set of dice should work. That is: 1d20 about 3d6, % die (2d10), 1d4, 1d8 and 1d12. It could hold up the game a bit with less dice since everyone will need to share but not everyone needs their own set.

I hope I was able to help some :)

17. Jedi_Rhysode

Jan 15, 2004
    I got another question. I thought I'd read through almost everything in the RCRB, but I was looking through some skill descriptions and I read that for the force skill "illusion" you loose 1 concentration level for every extra round you project the illusion. I dont remember reading about "concentration levels" anywhere alse in the book and I dont know what it means. Now I'm afraid that there's tons of details like this that i'm missing. Can anyone help me with this?

18. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm a heavily biased d6 fan.
    My advice, naturally, is to get the d6 books, most of which are available cheap on eBay. If your parents squawk, just point out that you're getting (however many) books for less than the cost of buying a single new book.
    If you need help tracking anything down, PM me.

19. Jedi_Rhysode

Jan 15, 2004
    Thanks for the help and advice Rogue and Magellan.

20. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    ? I got another question. I thought I'd read through almost everything in the RCRB, but I was looking through some skill descriptions and I read that for the force skill "illusion" you loose 1 concentration level for every extra round you project the illusion. I dont remember reading about "concentration levels" anywhere alse in the book and I dont know what it means. Now I'm afraid that there's tons of details like this that i'm missing. Can anyone help me with this??

Actually, it?s explained in the very next sentence: ?A Force user can?t maintain an illusion while using other Force skills or engaging in distracting activity.?

I hope that clears up your confusion.

21. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Okay, so far I have the Galactic Campaign Guide, PotJ, Hero's Guide, Arms & Equipment guide. Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

22. crashmurdoch

crashmurdoch Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2004
    I have all the WOTC books except for the original edition of the rule book which I sold off, the Tempest Feud, and the NJO sourcebook. I also have a ton of the West End Games books. I find them all useful in my campaigns, but I guess the only thing I would say are invaluable are:

1 The Core Rule book (No brainer)
    2 The Galactic Campaing Guide.
    3 The Arms and Equipment guide

I agree that if you are running a Jedi game the Power of the Jedi book is also invaluable.

The D&D monster manual is also useful, despite what others say. I once had a race of assassins based off one of the Xill, a race of insectoid humanoids, scared the hell out of my PCs. Just use it sparingly and change the appearance of the monster a little to make it unique.

23. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Heh, I once used the stats for a Blue Dragon for a blobby squid-creature with tentacles. THe party was going nuts trying to remember what sea monster could throw lightning bolts! :D

The books I consider necessary are already listed above.

24. WatchmanOfIego

WatchmanOfIego Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2004
    Geonosis and the Outer Rim... definetly. Picked it up myself about a week ago.
    Lots of cool planets including Ryloth, Endor, Kamino, Mon Calamari, Ossus, Dathomir, and, a personal favourite, Iego, just to name a few. Also adds a couple species. Nothing anybody would actually want to use, but just in case...

"Yes... go get..."
    - Witch Doctor Billy (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)

25. JediLeeora

JediLeeora Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Um...HI! What are some beginner books that I should really think about getting? I'am doing a NJO,RPG so would there be a diffrence in specific book selections?! Please help me,I dont know nothing! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.