main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What bothers you the most about the Yuuzhan Vong? Spoilers in case

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKendo, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Isn't the answer to this that said leadership were all practically dead by the war's end?

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

al the living vong tech was awesome, and so was the lack of their presence in the force. you don't know a good villian when you see one

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

How do the Vong not live up to said potential threats from the Unknown Regions and beyond? They literally brought the Republic to its knees (Destroyed it actually)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And you can't forget the the Fall of Coruscant. That was amazing! The Vong do live up to the UR threats. Besides who said the Chiss couldn't have mistook the Vong for a threat from their galaxy? Yeah a bit of a stretch but still.
    Looking back they should have done an UR threat and continuation of Bantam era plot lines. The UR threat would have been forced out of their territory and into the main galaxy by a threat (too similar to the Nagai and Tof?), the Yuuzhan Vong which would be hinted at throughout the UR threat and then several years later the Vong would invade. Give Anakin, Jaina, Jacen and the rest time to shine and come into their own and then bust out the Vong!

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Awesome" is not what I would call something that directly contradicts one of the most fundamental concepts of Star Wars: the Force.

6. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I don't like everything about the YV. They're ugly, they work off of improbable biotech, and for the first half of the NJO are seemingly indestructible. Oh...and they killed Chewie. So yeah, I dislike absolutely everything about them. Maybe if the NJO was a duology or even a trilogy I may have been inclined to have a different opinion, but 19 books worth of the Killer Crabs From Outter Space??? No, a bazillion times NO!!!

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Force is an infinite mystery. You think everything of the mysteries of the Force have been discovered? Not likely.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What's established in the films is not an infinite mystery. A living being without a presence in the Force contradicts what has been established.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Have you read The Unifying Force?

10. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    "If the Force is life and the Yuuzhan Vong are alive, and you cannot see them in the Force then is the problem with the Yuuzhan Vong or is it with your perceptions?"

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    @Alexard The Sith surviving? The Chosen One Prophecy? Can someone save other people from dying? How do Jedi come back as Force ghosts? Etc.
    DigitalMessiah This, unless we are supposed to believe that the movies are the be all end all on the mysteries of the Force.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. Why?

Yet another EU aspect that contradicts the movies "just because"...

How does any of that justify the problem with the Vong?

They aren't. But there is no reason to contradict what has been established in the movies.

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Alexrd is one of those film purists, and also can't see anything wrong with anything TCW did, so its impossible to have a civil conversation with him if one has any respect for the EU.

The Unifying Force explains exactly what happened with the Yuuzhan Vong and the Force, and there is nothing in TUF that contradicts your precious films.

14. AlyxDinas

Jul 12, 2010
    Because their situation isn't that far removed from any other instance of apparently "Force dead" individuals in the EU. The Vong were in the Force at one point in their life. It's their seperation from Zonama Sekot that strips them of the Force. If you can deal with Malachor causing the Exile to withdraw from the Force, you can deal with the Vong.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well if the Sith were prominent in the old days why wouldn't there be a planet of Sith out there? Also because of all of what Palpatine did that wouldn't cause some of the Jedi that survived to fall? Or all of his acolytes? It damages the Chosen One prophecy sure but Sith not coming back? Can't buy it.
    The Vong prove that there is another mystery of the Force just like everything I've listed.
    Yoda and the rest aren't all-knowing. The Force has been studied for how long? 35000+ years? You really believe that everything about the Force has been discovered? What if the ST brings in aliens that can't be sensed in the Force? What then?

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It will not be deemed real Star Wars!

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Chill out. If you have a genuine issue with another poster, report it to the mods. Otherwise, well...

;)

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who are you to speak about civil conversations when all you've done is make off-topic, baseless and childish false assumptions about me that have nothing to do with what's being discussed? No need for hypocrisy or ad hominem (again) on your part.

But I never stated how I felt about Malachor and the Exile.

Post-RotJ? Because their order as presented to the audience died on-screen.

The Sith died with Palpatine and Vader. Fallen Jedi are not necessarily Sith.

It's not another mystery. It's deliberate contradiction of what the Force was explained as. Another mystery would be something that adds (not replaces) what came before.

Who said that? Just because not everything about the Force has been discovered, doesn't mean it can ignore the "few" things we know about it.

Then I would ignore them like I did with the Vong.

Didn't know that people considered my opinion to decide what's "real Star Wars". Oh well...

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Alexrd it isn't a contradiction of the Force in the films, because the problem isn't the Force, it is the way the Jedi sense the Force.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The way the Jedi sense the Force is also explained in the movies. What exactly is wrong with it that make an whole species unable to be sensed?

21. AlyxDinas

Jul 12, 2010
    Irrelevant, and a poor attempt to deflect my point. The EU has dozens of scenarios in which individuals, planets, or groups have either withdrawn from the Force or been forcibly removed from it. You're not complaining about those things. So what makes the Vong different?

(Besides the fact that you don't even have all the necessary information on the topic, that is.) As a side note: explain to me how the Force works. Explain to me the contradiction. Don't just make your claim. Express and argue it.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Jedi don't sense an extragalactic species in the films, so no, it isn't.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    From the Yuuzhan'tar Original Wookiepedia page
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan'tar_(Original)
    At some point in their history, the extragalactic Yuuzhan Vong were attacked by a species of droids. The Yuuzhan Vong's living homeworldof Yuuzhan'tar aided them in the war by bestowing upon them the knowledge of creating living weapons. However, as the war dragged on, the Yuuzhan Vong as a species became increasingly violent and warlike. Eventually, they were able to defeat their enemies, and forced both droid powers to flee their galaxy.
    Following the war, the Yuuzhan Vong went on a crusade to cleanse their galaxy of all forms of mechanical technology. They conquered much of their galaxy and either exterminated or enslaved conquered species. Among those species they conquered were the reptoid Chazrach, which became slave soldiers for the Yuuzhan Vong.
    With much of the galaxy in their hands, the various Domains fractured and turned against each other, resulting in the devastating Cremlevian War. During the conflict, much of their galaxy was destroyed, including their homeworld of Yuuzhan'tar. However, the planet produced a seed which eventually became Zonama Sekot.
    Separated from their original symbiosis with their homeworld, the Yuuzhan Vong were stripped from the Force and experienced great pain. Thus, the species saw pain as the only way to get back to that symbiosis and practiced body modifications on themselves. In place of their homeworld, the Yuuzhan Vong created several deities which would govern nearly every aspect of their civilization.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How do you conclude that my quip response to FS was aimed at you? It was, quite obviously I thought, a simple one-liner of not particularly serious nature, though centred on a kernal of truth.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Good quip JB! The non-force sensitiveness of the Vong turned people off in the NJO and since most people expect the ST to be the official continuation of the Saga, what would happen if Lucas is his outlines, or one of the others JJ, Kasden, KK, whoever replaces Ardnt brings in a non-force sensitive being Alexrd? JB has his own quip but how you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.