main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What broke Anakin more his mothers death or Padme's

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Xenor, Sep 19, 2015.

?

What broke Anakin more his mothers death or Padme's

1. Mother

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Padme

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. Both the same

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    1) What do you think what destroyed him more?

2) If, after Anakins mother died, he and Padme would not be in love,but just friends, do you think Anakin would have been able to recover from his mothers death or would it sent him over the edge because he does not have the bond like he had with Padme.

2. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    1) His mom! Because when Padme died, Vader just said NOOOO

2) no

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1. I think Padme's destroyed him more. Especially since he thought he was the one who killed her.

2. Even if he and Padme had not ended up together, Anakin still would have fallen though quicker or slower, I'm not sure. Palpatine still may have used Padme or someone else like Obi-Wan against him.

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I'm going with 'both the same'. And Anakin would've turned to the dark side more quickly without Padme I think.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Shmi. Her death led to Anakin becoming so desperate in the first place.

6. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    It introduced anakin to the dark side (I killed them all!)

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Padmé's. Not when it happened, but when he saw it in his vision.

8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Padmé's.

Though Shmi's death arguably started him on the path, without Padmé's death in his vision he wouldn't have gone as far as he did.

ETA:
    And this:

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'm thinking Padme. Sure, he slaughtered an entire village of Sandpeople over his mothers death, but went full Sith over Padme.

mes520 likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's true. Anakin was having some issues before that, but after Shmi died, he not only only lost it and slaughtered all those Sand People. He constantly had to hold himself back for the following three years, and his visions of Padme's death, how the Jedi were treating him, and Sidious's temptations gave him a reason to rationalize what he was doing. He stopped holding himself back and fully embraced the dark side. I've talked about how Vader was a middle-aged psychological mess in other threads. But Anakin was a young psychological mess. I think that Luke was the only person who persistently believed in Vader and attempted to sway him to do the right thing. I imagine only Shmi did that when Anakin was a child, and one could argue that Ahsoka and Padme were indirect influences who kept him in the light, and I agree, since I consider Ahsoka a foreshadowing of Luke. But that's another story. I wasn't satisfied with the way the prequels were written in many ways, and one good example is Anakin as a slave. That's a horrible life, and Shmi was a fantastic mother to him. If you want to be Freudian about it, then Padme was something of a substitute for Shmi (i.e. "I'm not going to lose you as I lost my mother"). The inherent tragedy of Anakin was that he was never able to look inside himself, learn the value of healthy emotions and thinking, and that it took his interactions with his own son, who made very different, healthier choices than him, in order for him to realize what was right.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Regardless of Anakin's multitude of other issues, I think the fear that he would lose Padme (as played upon by Palpatine in the Opera) is what sent him completely over to the dark side.

12. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm just wondering would Anakin have been able to overcome his mothers death if he were all by himself.
    (So take Padme out of the picture the two dont have a relationship. Its just Anakin and Obi Wan like before he met Padme.)

13. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

I don't think so. I think it would have been worse.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    In a way it was the same. Shmi's death started it. Padme was in his sphere of protection which made her death even worse. Both equal in a way, i'd say.

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Maybe so. But then it would have had to be triggered by Palpatine by arguing he could have saved his mother rather than saving Padme.

16. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I was more talking about the context of "how would Anakin have reacted to his mother dying without Padmé around?", in which case I think it would be worse.

If it wasn't Padmé, though, there would have likely been something or someone else. I think in that case, even Obi-Wan's death could have thrown Anakin into the Dark Side when it happened.

enigmaticjedi, True Sith and mes520 like this.
  17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    1) His mom! Because when Padme died, Vader just said NOOOO
    ------------

you can't argue with this...because technically it's correct :p

18. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    He wanted to save Padme. He was told that if he did those bad things, he would be strong enough with the dark side to save Padme. He did not feel good about it, as we see by the tear he sheds on Mustafar.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Anakin killed the Tusken Raiders in AOTC, "not just the men, but the women and children too." It was hardly the first time, and it's not like there weren't children on Alderaan.

Anakin had no limits to save his wife and to have the power he wanted. Vader did the same, he had no limits to get what he wanted, his son.

20. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Ani is messed up.

21. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Anakin also cut down other Jedi masters and not just children. As he said to Luke in TESB, "you don't know the power of the dark side" That would indicate that there was some kind of strong influence or power that had over taken Anakin. I don't know really, but when you listen to Vader talk about the dark side in the OT it must be something so strong that it made it difficult for Vader to resist. Until Luke came into his life is when Vader started to change.

22. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    But you could argue it was Padme that kept Anakin relatively stable after his mother's death, and in those three years before ROTS. And yeah, like Volshe said, I think if it wasn't Padme, Palpatine would've found a way to turn Anakin over some other issue.

23. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

Definitely, Palpatine has plenty to choose from: Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, his bitterness towards the Order, his lust for power, etc, etc.

24. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Another case of applying real-world thinking to a situation that requires a totally different point of view.

Remember Yoda's words from The Empire Strikes Back: "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

The meaning is very clear to me: the Dark Side of the Force is infinitely more powerful than anything we can possibly imagine. That's why the Jedi have to be so wary of negative emotions. If they give in, there's practically no turning back. It doesn't mean that Anakin could simply relapse to his old self by thinking logically about the situation. He wasn't Anakin anymore. "Twisted by the Dark Side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... Consumed by Darth Vader."

Anakin was going to the Dark Side ever since he left his mother.

I don't know how some people feel that Anakin turned too quickly, but seem to turn a blind eye to the way Luke is being tempted in Return of the Jedi. Sidious knew what he was doing by tempting Luke to strike him down. Luke's fall to the Dark Side was imminent, but in the critical moment of going in for the killing of Vader, Luke saw what he was turning into. Had he killed Vader, he would have turned to the Dark Side. Just like that. It's the way of the Force as we know it from the current six movies.

enigmaticjedi, mes520 and True Sith like this.
  25. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, I think people often don't consider how addictive the dark side is when analyzing his fall, and that's why it's such a slippery slope for Anakin. You kind of get hints of that in the film actually, as Anakin says he "wants more" even though he knows it's wrong. It starts out as him doing some things solely in the name of saving Padme, but once he actually starts going down that path, he gets fully pulled into it, and craves more and more of that power.

xezene and mes520 like this.