main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What broke Anakin more his mothers death or Padme's

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Xenor, Sep 19, 2015.

?

What broke Anakin more his mothers death or Padme's

1. Mother

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Padme

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. Both the same

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm going with both. He just did not know how to handle what happened with his mother then add to it Padme you can see why he went down that path.

xezene, SateleNovelist11 and mes520 like this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Merging this into a thread that discuss this very issue.

3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The pain of losing his mother was what caused him to refuse to allow Padme to die. I feel like if it were reversed and Padme died first, that Shmi's death would have been what would have made Anakin Vader.

4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Both are equal, imo.

5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Possibly Padme's because he also lost his only child as well.

mes520 likes this.
  6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Before Padme's death, Anakin (Vader) showed remorse (the tears) for killing the Jedi and Separatists.

After Padme's death, Vader had no remorse for killing his own officers or when Tarkin destroyed Alderaan. ROTJ may have been the first time Vader felt something again since ROTS.

It is difficult to quantify pain, but I am going to say equal.

SateleNovelist11 and mes520 like this.
  7. JediMasterAang

JediMasterAang Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2015
    I think it can basically be though of like this.

Anakin is like a windshield on a car. His mother's death was like a large rock smacking into the windshield. It causes a lot of damage and cracks the windshield, but it still holds together. The damage is partially patched until it could be fully repaired, if ever. Padme's death was like a boulder completely shattering the windshield.

8. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't know what would have happened to Anakin if he had not become involved in Padme. I don't think there is something special about him that makes him particularly inclined toward evil.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Padme's death is what lead to his abandoning all traces of his former self and truly embrace being Darth Vader. Shmi's death is just what lead to his being so determined to stop his loved ones from dying. It is Padme's death that prompted this classic scene.

[​IMG]

Written well before ROTS had been made, much less released. Yet when taken into context of what happened in that film, it makes perfect sense.

10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    1)))His mother would appear to have broken him more but I think when he became Vader, he kept his fury contained. And he didn't have anyone to slaughter because of Padme's death(he had the Tusken Raiders to slaughter after his mother's death)....I think it hurt him when Padme died as much as his mother's death hurt him, we just didn't see it because he was more machine than man physically and had just turned into Vader so his pain was contained internally.

2))) I think he would've been able to recover from channeling the Dark Side for a little more time but eventually, he would've fell to the Dark Side under Palpatine

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Whats this from and is it post AOTC?

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It is "Resurrection" from "Star Wars Tales" #9 and is found on volume three of that series. It takes place before ANH and features Vader learning of a group of dark side Force Users who have claimed to resurrected Maul to eliminate Vader, as they feel he is not worthy of being a Sith.

mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

You pretty much convinced me. I agree with this now rather than my previous opinion, now that I've thought about it more. That's a great analogy.

Oh, yes, Darth Sinister. I've shared that story about the Darth Maul doppelganger with many people, and what Vader said speaks volumes about how he truly feels.

14. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Fear was Anakin's undoing. Not the death of loved ones. Without that fear he would've been able to accept the things he could not change. Like all people that become villains he had a weakness of character.

mes520 likes this.
  15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly. It was the fear of not being in control that did him in. Fear of knowing that there were things he could not stop, including and especially Death. He couldn't stop that. Ironically, the one thing he COULD control was his response to that fear, but at the end fear won over.

To be true, though, I think it was the manner in the way Shmi died that horrified him. If he arrived to find Shmi dying peacefully surrounded by loved ones and she was conscious to the very end, in no pain. Content. If she had died like that, he probably would've been able to deal with the concept of death better. He would've seen that death isn't always this horrible thing, it's the natural progression of life, etc.

mes520 and Rabs like this.
  16. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I vote Padme. Shmi's death was one of the many terrible things that Anakin had to deal with that contributed to his fall to the dark side. But the threat of Padme's death was the thing that finally pushed him over the edge.

I could see saying both, though, because Anakin felt like his mother's death was his fault. And to a slight degree, it was. If he had acted upon his visions right away, he might have saved her. His guilt over this was probably one of the reasons he was so desperate to try his hardest to save Padme.

17. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015

^Yeah, i think you're right about Obi Wan's death. They kind of do something like this in TCW. In one episode, Obi Wan fakes his own death in order to capture some war criminal. The council doesn't tell Anakin bc they want an authentic reaction from him so its a more believable death. Needless to say, Anakin goes on a furious rampage searching for the guy who "Killed" Obi Wan, nearly ruining the mission, and causing great anxiety amongst the council. So yeah, I think if it wasn't going to be Padme, it would have been good ol' Ben :D

18. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Shmi's death and the guilt he felt is what broke Anakin. From there he remained a broken man. The slaughter of the Sand People sent him down the dark side path from which he couldn't return, resulting in Anakin becoming a Sith, slaughtering the Jedi and the younglings. All this happened because of the guilt he felt over his mothers death. Therefore Anakin was broken beyond repair long before padme's death.

minnishe likes this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    His mother's death is what broke him, then Padme's sent him over the edge.

xezene likes this.