main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What bugs me the most about the sequel trilogy...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SithSense, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    They could have done a bit of a better job explaining the politics of the Galaxy, but comparing the explanation to Legends is pure nonsense.

Legends had dozens of books and comics set in the thirty years after ROTJ. It’s much harder to explain all that backstory in a two hour movie and still have room for more important things, namely characters and plot.

For people who are interested in the backstory beyond the basic necessities (which are explained well enough in the films), I’m sure there will be a lot of new canon material dealing with it in due time. There already are several books (Aftermath, Phasma, and Bloodline) set during that era and I’m sure we’ll get many more.

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Snoke wears a gold robe. He’s rich.

rorow1 likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is the First Order at all different from the Empire? They build bigger, stupider ships?

What was the point of “rebranding” at all? And if it had a point, why would you change only the name while consciously using the same fighter ships, ground military personnel and armor, heavy cruiser and walkers built using the same design motifs as the original, and again consciously imitating the hierarchy up to and including granting extreme privileges outside the normal chain of command to Force users that employed the Dark Side?

That’s like renaming yourself the Clu Clux Clan but keeping the white robes, cross burnings, and lynchings. Was someone supposed to be fooled by this? Beyond the audience of TFA who couldn’t see the movie yet to appreciate how much of a retread it all was, I mean.

G-FETT, MasterPrince713 and Shadao like this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The First Order don’t call themselves The Empire bcs they’re not an empire. Pretty simple.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How aren’t they an empire?

6. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Really, one of things I feared when they introduced the new factions in 2015 was that it was not distinguishable enough from Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire.

The Resistance's Logo is just the Rebel Alliance with a new paint job. And the First Order just made the Galactic Empire symbol easier to draw for young kids.

If the First Order was an actual terrorist group and fleeing from a larger New Republic fleet, that would have been distinguishable from the Empire. But the films have done none of that. The people behind this deliberately underfunded the Resistance in terms of resources and people so that they can have their little underdog chase scene to replicate the feeling of Rebels vs Empire again.

And in my opinion, it's not so much as rhyming as it is straight out copying the exact same stanza and word with just a letter difference.

7. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    i think the FO must've found some sort of expanding-tech to have the ability to build everything bigger.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Except that's not how the succession of states works. The Empire, as a state, was dissolved. The First Order is a new thing that was formed from the remains of the Imperial Navy. The new Republic is just as much of a technical successor of the Empire as the First Order is.

Except for, you know, thirty years of peace.

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    But they have full control of the galaxy. "The FIRST ORDER reigns" don't you remember? Rey even states they'll have full control in a matter of weeks, which, considering like five resistance people survived, they'll assuredly have taken control by 9.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Shadao likes this.
  10. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I wish they had had some kind of new enemy/threat that wasn’t just another Empire. What else could they have done though?

11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I think the problem here is the focus on needing big, galaxy wide, threats. I get that's what the saga films feel like they need to be about, but really, I think they could have easily made films that didn't deal with a ruling faction lead by the dark side facing off against an underdog faction led by the light side. Part of the reason I'm interested in Solo is that (so far) it appears to be the only film in the franchise under Disney that doesn't deal with "rebels fight empire".

The Star Wars galaxy is massive. There's so many fascinating creatures, characters, planets, and factions. There's so much potential for story telling in the GFFA. It's heartbreaking to see it constantly limited to Empire V Rebels round 27.

Shadao likes this.
  12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The Chiss. Mandalorians. Something from Wild Space or the Unknown Regions that doesnt rhyme with Tuzong Pong

Shadao likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    you're right, it should have been discussed in The Force Awakens, oh wait...
    edit: my bad for the double post.

14. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Some people in a nutshell here:
    >Before TFA: leaked script is nothing, on screen it would look much better and clear
    >After TFA release: we will find out more in comic books and novels that will come out soon
    >Before TLJ: we will find out more in TLJ
    >After TLJ release: we will find out more in comic books and novels that will come out soon... Why do we even need to know such things?

I bet the same people would tell us to wait for explanation for everything after Ep9 release. Im kinda tired of that excuse.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    They haven't yet established a centralized government ruling over the galaxy. They don't have an emperor. They're trying to re-establish an empire. Until they do why would they take that name?

EHT likes this.
  16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    My two biggest gripes:

1. Rey feels underdeveloped and weak as a character. I could understand this to an extent in TFA, but in TLJ she seems to float through the narrative, impacting the stories of two far deeper and more complex characters by her mere presence. Which feeds into:

2. The sheer amount of what I call “narrative dark matter” still present 2/3 through the narrative strikes me as an odd way to structure a story. Thus far, the ST’s story feels to be more about Kylo and Luke, yet the. Presentation focuses very much on Rey, as if there’s much more going on beneath the surface than the directors care to reveal at this time. I feel that this is especially evidenced, in retrospect, by how RJ has talked and still talks about TLJ’s story. I simply don’t think it lines up with a surface read at all, and it sounds to me like he’s been speaking from the vantage point of someone who knows the whole story while give us the impression that he’s discussing what was readily apparent to audiences from TLJ.

I supect that LFL wanted to do several things with the ST but have had a difficult time reconciling these goals. I suspect the three biggest things they could have done differently to improve the ST were, imo, 1. to reduce the roles of the OT3, 2. to have streamlined the number of characters to focus on, and 3. to resolve the mysteries and backstory at a steadier pace and not backload the crap out of it :p

I don’t expect that my views on the above will be changed much by 9, especially as they appear not to be splitting the finale into two movies.

That being said, I really love the story I think they’re going for, and some of the messages that are beginning to take shape. Story has always been king for me when it comes to SW, and in several ways, it’s turning out to be better than my own headcanon [face_love] So I’m pleased in that regard. I just wish the execution had been a bit different.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  17. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The lack of backstory in the movies bothers me because it just comes across as a cynical reboot of the original trilogy - Empire v Rebels rebadged.

I perceive Snoke to be a cheap rip-off of Palpatine. I know Palpatine didn't have a back story in the OT, but I think it is important for Snoke to have an on-screen back story, because of the context - we have the PT and OT. That entire saga was about the rise and fall of the Empire and the Sith. Suddenly, a new Sith (in all but name) aims to dominate the galaxy with an empire in waiting. Without a convincing, satisfying backstory, this just undermines episodes 1-6 in my opinion.

G-FETT and ST deluded like this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This.

Darth Downunder and EHT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.