main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What can Lucas learn from the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ParanoidAni-droid, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrp99

mrp99 Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2002
    I feel that they could both learn from each other.

I agree to an extent about the dialogue problems in the movies, especialy the prequels, however I have a similar problem with speech in the EU.

It has been commented upon above that EU characters tend towards being a little too superhuman. Every character seems to know exactly what they are doing at all times and will explain their plans and opinions to everyone else in a series of well thought out, logical points. I think it started with Corran in the X-Wing books and has spread from there.

I miss a Han Solo type who will go charging down a corridor after Stormtroopers simply because it's the first thing he thought of rather than the first step in a cunning and devious plan. I want characters who don't over-analyse things. It makes them seem constantly smug and self-satisfied.

That said the EU is better than the prequels at creating bonds between characters.

I prefer movie dogfights to the book ones, but I love the way that the novels make full use of the capital ships, which I feel are underused in the movies. In the ROTJ space battle the Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers were basically a pretty back ground for the fighters to battle around. The EU involves the big ships completely in the conflict.

On the subject of lightsaber combat, I quite like the EU way of involving force powers in quite a big way, while the movies (with a few honourable exceptions) tend to just involve saber work and a couple of back flips.

The main area in which I think that Lucas could learn from the EU is problems that can't be solved with a lightsaber. The EU is good at creating situations such as the mistrust of the Jedi in the NJO that require more than just a dogfight to resolve (once the books had got past the super-weapon phase).

Having thought about it, I suppose that's exactly what the prequel trilogy is about though. Sorry

2. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I think there is some that he could learn, or at the very least, borrow from the EU.

He could take what little the EU has on the Clone Wars (ships, participants, etc.), and expand on them.

Save him time.

THEY could learn a few things from HIM however.

Like the theme of SW and such..

And what, pray tell, is the theme of SW? ?[face_plain]

3. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Wars! um...

Wars in the Stars!

or

Star Wars!

4. bespinct

bespinct Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    I'm not sure what Lucas could learn from the EU. They both need an enema. I love Star Wars, and will read the books and watch the movies no matter what, but it seems to me they have lost something. The OT and early EU novels were written for adults. Recently I don't get that feeling in the EU, and I think the new movies are aimed at kids. The OT had layers. I was all of 4 when Return of the Jedi came out and it is the first movie I remember watching at the theater. I loved it...Star Wars movies were my favorite to watch and my Empire Strikes back lunch box in Kindegarten was "the bomb." As I grew up in the world, and learned more about history and life, I saw more layers to the films. I could draw comparisons to real life. From world history, to mythology, to Samurai, to the Doomsday Weapon. I was able to enjoy the movies for a whole new reason.

The prequel trilogy has some of that feel, but doesn't seem to be as well written. Also, it doesn't feel cohesive with the OT at times. Artoo and Threepio not remembering Obi-Wan for instance. If they have worked together consistently since AOTC you would think that they would not have had a memory wipe since then. Also, how does a planet and a race that plays such a role in the PT not even exist in the OT. You would believe that there would be some mention of Naboo or the Neimodieans. I would also mention Mon Mothma and Alderaan, but Ep.3 isn't out yet so I won't.

As for the books, I'm not sure how I feel about the NJO. I don't know that it has anything to offer GL. It is a different galaxy now, albeit with the same old problems. It has the feel of the PT with different enemies, and you already know who is good and who is bad. Early EU books had more of a OT feel, and seemed to be written for adults, but enjoyable for younger audiences as well. Perhaps that is what he could get from the EU...and the OT as well. That well written stories(movies, novels, whatever) for adults can be enjoyable for kids as well.

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Lucas can learn that the universe does not revolve around Tunisia...uh...I mean Tatooeine.

6. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    up, keep the good stuff coming

7. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Continuing the myth and hero's journey, for one thing. That's something that the authors have never done.

Never? Have you read Traitor?

~PAd

8. Darth Predator

Darth Predator Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 1999
    Lucas could learn much from the EU. I hate to say this...but even KJA wrote better dialoge than Lucas. AOTC wasn't bad, but I felt the first 2/3 of the movie was simply a build up to the final fight. In TPM, I wished I could simply skip whole scenes. But in Star by Star, I couldn't get enough of it. Even Dark Journey, I read in the bookstore.

While the EU isn't perfect - far from it - I've enjoyed it more than the prequels.

9. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Lucas could learn that good plot and dialogue make a story better.

He could learn how to write better jokes from Alston.

He could promise not to trivialize Anakin's trip to the darkside the way Dark Journey did with Jaina.

As far as romance goes, both the flanneled one and the EU need to learn from someone else. GL didn't do too bad with Han and Leia in the OT, though ROTJ was sort of flat. His prequel romancing isn't cutting it.

The EU hasn't fared much better, TAB was one of the few love interest stories with a good beginning, middle and end.

Nom Anor vs Dooku? If we could have the opportunity to learn more about Dooku then he would have the more interesting story. Nom Anor is a weasel that by all rights should have been dead long ago. He's like the Dr. Smith of the NJO.

10. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    The revisionist pov is that AoTC's romance weakness is partially flawed and intention due to the whole point of Anakin's fall and the complete corruption of society. A good review and point of view is at stardestroyer.com's AoTC's reactions page.

11. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I don't mind the dialogue. In fact, IMO most EU dialogue is worse, e.g, anything Tenel Ka says in SbS is so bland and dreary...the EU is good, but a lot of the stories and dialogue are pretty poor.

12. Talon_Knightwing

Talon_Knightwing Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
  13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    He could put more pilots in! GO PILOTS!

Hehehe, I think that perhaps, he could have things less connected-I mean Anakin fighting with a young Greedo is a little TOO connected, if you know what I mean?

And give the Force more mystery-no midiclorans or virgin births.

And better dialogue.

One thing I do like about the EU, though, is that we've seen some other people than the main characters. Especially in the short story anthologies, and the X-Wing books. It's not just Jedis and Luke and Leia. It's about EVERYONE who makes up the GFFA.

Oh, and more Wedge. Definitely more Wedge!

14. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "Fact.

lol"

Grrr..... ;)

Anyway. The movies center on the Skywalkers, so I like the EU shorts as well, delving into other character's lives. Also, there are a lot of varied battles with different tactics and outcomes...mostly it's very well written and thought out.

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, the purpose of the films is to tell the story of the Skywalker family. It does not allow room for deve,opment of many minor characters, though I do wish they would too.

The EU allows for those characters to be expanded on, and is one of the main reason's I like it. :D

16. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    add more characters ;)

different vechicles like the E-Wing and the Chiss ClawCraft......

things like that

17. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Plus, you only get so much time of the movies. Only what-12 hours, probably after Ep III.

But the EU gives you so much much much more!

And really, Lucas is great, but he's not going to be around for ever. Also, that way, he isn't chained to his computer, writing more more more! The burden is lifted.

Plus, I'm more of a reader than I am a movie watcher.

Plus, the movies are so much more about JEDI. I like the pilots and the space battles the best. (Although reading about the battles is sort of boring, I like reading about the squadrons and their lives and stuff like that.)

There's also less confusion-as much as I did like the SE *ducks* Greedo shooting first?

Or changing it that Luke says, "You're lucky to be alive!" instead of, "You're lucky you don't taste so good!"

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Or changing it that Luke says, "You're lucky to be alive!" instead of, "You're lucky you don't taste so good!"
    <<

That and some other line changes weren't intentional alterations- just different recorded lines that existed on different quality prints of the film- they chose the highest quality version to base the SE's on, and that just happened to include the different lines compared to the video version.

19. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    add more characters ;)

Liz, which characters could you possibly be referring to? ;) :p :D

Jae Angel

20. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    ANY character except for a certain "egotistical-lived-in-a-spice-mine" character. 8-}

But I would love to see a blue skinned Grand Admiral..... ;)

21. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    ANY character except for a certain "egotistical-lived-in-a-spice-mine" character.

Han Solo? Because he DID live in a spice mine for a bit, ya know. And I think George already knows about him. . . :p

And Liz, you really want to force the blue-skinned weirdo and Mistress Tang upon poor old Georgie?! I know his dialogue was a bit lacking in the love scene, but that's kind of a horrible punishment for him! :p

In short, I wish there was a smiley for vomiting, because every time I see Zahn worship or worship of his incarnations I just want to expell a hot, steamy pile of barfy goodness. Hmmmm, it would be painfully interesting tonight, what with horribly spicy indian food and sushi I've had to eat in the past few hours! ;)

Jae Angel

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

In short, I wish there was a smiley for vomiting, because every time I see Zahn worship or worship of his incarnations I just want to expell a hot, steamy pile of barfy goodness. Hmmmm, it would be painfully interesting tonight, what with horribly spicy indian food and sushi I've had to eat in the past few hours!

Same here.

23. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Well, how about showing Bel Iblis?

I have to say, if we don't see Mon Mothma, I'm going to be EXTREMELY disappointed!

24. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Yeah, Mothma and Captain Antilles are the only cameos I care to see. Chewie and the whole lot are best left in the OT where they belong. Well, aside from the twins of course.

~PAd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.