main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What can we expect in the final few weeks?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Right now, most of us are focused on the next big TFA milestone, the full trailer release.

But what do the last few weeks look like, from a promotion & news-about-the-film perspective? We don't know too much about Disney's final marketing push, and the mystery box adds uncertainty... but there seem to be some iron-clad laws about releasing a blockbuster. So, what do you guys think we can expect, and when?

The trailer will be released -- sometime between now & black Friday. That will be followed by TV spots -- probably a big push over Thanksgiving, and then...

At some point there will be some embargoed screenings for critics. That's going to be insane. There will be some leaks, almost certainly. There will be some kind of early consensus buzz about the film -- either "good', "meh", or "it sucks". When will this emerge? First week of December? Earlier than that?

The film will be released overseas on -- what's the earliest date now? -- the 15th? Do we even know? Will the embargo be lifted before or after that? If it's still embargoed, we'll still get word from overseas reaction...

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Martian had tremendous early buzz from Toronto and NY film festivals, so reviews were out very early for that movie. I think within a week of December 15 Disney will have to let the critics out of the bag.

3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Looking back at the level of Marketing we have so far, I wouldn't expect much. [face_clown]

Jedi Dai Wen and B99 like this.
  4. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Once screenings start and we start getting reviews, that is when I ignore the internet until I can see the film. I really don't want to have my first viewing coloured by whatever the general consensus is in the early days.

I'm interested to see what might happen over Thanksgiving weekend in the US. If theaters don't have marathons of the previous films, I'll likely have one at home.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I really think TFA is a great addition to the saga.

bluecadet3 and B99 like this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Tv spots..
    Maybe like 2 of them...8-}

Can't wait till we get that close...
    I might be going crazy!! Oh, I already am..[face_hypnotized]

7. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    What can we expect? I don't know, maybe....THE STORY??? That would be nice...

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I'd like to watch the story unfold in the cinema. Novel concept, I know!

9. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000

I know what you mean. But, I'd some more inkling on who Snoke is, and more about the actual stakes of the plot, not everything, just enough to get me more excited.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I know what you mean. But for me, what I imagine the story to be (based on the scraps of info we have) is probably far more compelling than what JJ could give us in a short trailer.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Nope. I know enough. Tell me about Snokey in the movies.

What do I want in the leadup weeks? Ewok flash mobs ? Giant inflatable BB8s being bounced around at cricket matches? The Hux jacket to become a popular style?

12. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Come January, nobody will be using their sleeves anymore.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  13. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Bandwagoners, a lot of non Star Wars fans and people who otherwise wouldn't care less coming out and suddenly proclaiming their undying fandom for the franchise.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I predict a bloodbath in the forum. Buckets of blood splattered on the walls. Rivers of blood flowing out of the elevators.

Why? A word of warning: The likelihood of any one Hollywood movie being exceptionally good is relatively small.

A large budget and studio executives lavishing a film with attention isn't going to improve those odds. See John Carter.

A respected director, even one who unlike Abrams has a history of smash hits, is no guarantee. See Lone Ranger

A popular brand with broad audience appeal doesn't improve the odds either. See Transformers.

So when the movie turns out to be a bit meh, of average entertainment value with an ok storyline and a workmanlike execution, some people will recognize that immediately, while others will try to convince themselves that the final product matched their unreasonable expectations. That's when the fun begins.

16. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    So in other words...

17. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

What are the odds that some non-critics (say, somebody like Kevin Smith, or maybe Simon Pegg -- people like that) see the film before the critics, and their reaction leaks?

Could it be trusted or would people automatically think it was just part of the hype?

18. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm glad I don't have to do that....I can watch TFA on december the 16th, the 1st screening.

19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    What can we expect in the final few weeks?

More whining ;)

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Jeez man, it's a movie about Robots and Spaceships. All it has to be is fun.

jedinightwing and Bennihana like this.
  21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's true in the human world up above, but down here in the subterranean depths of Star Wars fan forums we operate according to a different and less rational set of rules.

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I am curious to see when the embargo against reviews is lifted. You figure if it gets good feedback, Disney would want that out early and often. But that could lead to more leaks.

23. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    This might have to be my signature.

24. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Not a 3rd trailer...I can tell you that much, matey!

25. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Unbridled A N T I C I P A T I O N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.