main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What character is the biggest Moron in EP1?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by homeless_jedi, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    Obi-Wan Kenobi x 2
    Nute Gunray x 7
    Watto x 3
    Valorum x 1
    Qui-Gon Ginn x 2
    Rune Haako x 1
    Jar-Jar Binks x 10
    Yoda x 1
    Darth Maul x 4
    Queen Amidala x 4
    Anakin Skywalker x 2
    Boss Nass x 3
    Kitster x 3
    Sio Bibble x 1
    Shmi Skywalker x 1
    Captain Panaka x 1
    Ric Olie' x 2
    Daultay Dofine x 1
    Subulba x 2
    Jabba-the-Hut x 1
    TC-14 x 1
    C-3P0 x 1

So, the current leaders are:
    With 10 votes: Jar-Jar Binks
    With 7 votes: Nute Gunray
    With 4 votes: tie between Queen Amidala & Darth Maul.

(Jar-Jar's finially in double digits and we've got two droids on the list. fosh-bantus88 if you're saying that john knoll has a cameo in that scene, where is it?)

2. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Palpatine, because he could have had a bounty hunter destroy of the Jedi Temple thus killing the lead Jedi while they were in council.

That was Palpatines best shot at destroying them while they were all together.

3. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Obviously there is no bigger moron than JAR JAR BINKS. This goes without saying. At least everybody else had some kind of intelligence.

What a wasted character Jar Jar was. A big moron, and a waste of animation if you ask me.

4. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hands down Ric Olié. I mean he's just a moron. A doofus. Baboon. Dunderhead... Oh the list is long my friend. [face_plain]

Lemme just rest my case here. Let's pull up some quotes from the movie:

"Enemy fighters straight ahead!"

"The deflector shield is too strong, we'll never get through it!"

"Shield generator's been hit!"

"Powers back. That little droid did it!"

"Crikey! Those crocs are BIG!"

Alright, so I made up the last one. [face_devil] But look at these! I mean they're all classic idiot lines. He's the guy in the movie who has no personality, no say in anything, no point even (lets face it Obi-Wan could have flown easily and done a better job), all he does is tell us what we ALREADY know. Yes, we see the enemy fighters, yes, we can see it's been hit, wow, we noticed that R2 saved the day, and YES, those crocs are big. [face_plain] It just made me feel like I was being patronized by this oaf.

Sure Padmé, Yoda, Watto, Jar-Jar, Sebulba, Qui-Gon, Maul, ect, all had idiotic moments. Who doesn't? But Ric Olié is the definition of one. At least that's what I'm thinking. ;)

-~Dormé~-

5. Darth-Sauron13

Darth-Sauron13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2004
    Of course it's Jar-Jar :)

6. masterheiros

masterheiros Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    My vote is Gunray. That stupid green...thing...was the dictionary's precise example of an idiot. Oh, and Dofine too. I thought that it was ridiculous that he just stood there and let himself blow up. It was funny that he waved his arms around and then exploded!!!

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Well, depending on Boss Nass's motives for putting JJB in charge of his army. If he was trying to kill him, not a moron. If he thought JJB made a good choice for a general, Nass wins the prize.

8. yoda-is-my-homeboy

yoda-is-my-homeboy Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2004
    my list:

Anakin: "are you an angel?"

Panaka, just because he's a huge pessimist (sp?)

Nute Gunray

Jar-Jar Binks, enough said.

and Darth Maul, for not seeing Obi-Wan's move to kill him. he just kind of stood there, wondering what Obi was going to do.

9. Lukes_Grandfather

Lukes_Grandfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    What character is the biggest Moron in EP1?

Well, the film TPM has assembled more morons than any other film I am aware of; the title 'The Prune Morons' would be more apt!!

Yes, there are a lot of morons in The Prune Morons, but the BIGGEST moron would have to be Jabba the Hutt!

I mean, he must weigh over one tonne!!

10. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    The question is far harder for me to answer than it should be, and not in a good way. Too many candidates packed too closely together.

In terms of pure intelligence (or lack thereof), the award has to go Ric Olie. The man truly had a gift for stating the obvious. Yet his idiocy extends beyond his lines to his overall role: Ric Olie is there to keep even the dumbest audience members up to speed. Just in case you were three years old or drinking your 4th bottle of whiskey that day, you have Ric Olie there to inform you that enemy fighters are "straight ahead" or "it's blowing up from the inside." I'm surprised he didn't let fly with "Anakin has no father and also has more midichlorians than any other Jedi, I wonder if that means he is special." or perhaps "It is strange that I never see Senator Palpatine or Darth Sidious in the same room together. I wonder if anything is going on there. Perhaps we should all think about it for a while." Olie has the dubious distinction of being both a stupid character, and being directly, intentionally insulting to the intelligence of the audience.

Jar Jar terms himself "clumsy" and I'll go with that. Do I despise him? Yes. Do I think he is the biggest moron? No, he's just a freak. Now I *do* think his inclusion was the dumbest thing in TPM, but overall Olie still takes the cake.

Honorable mentions:

Anakin ("yippie! x20), Boss Nass (*slobber*), Every single handmaiden ("Hi. We're like the secret service, 'cept we don't have any military training, armor, or guns. Kill us!"), Qui Gon ("Train this boy to balance out the Force at the cost of billions of lives and any number of blown up planets. Do it!"), Yoda ("Envy leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Suffering. Suffering leads to Callouses. Callouses lead to Makeup. Makeup leads to Dates. Dates lead to Heavy Petting. Heavy Petting leads to Rumors. Rumors lead to Envy.")

11. yoda-is-my-homeboy

yoda-is-my-homeboy Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2004
    LSHB: [face_laugh]

yeah, Ric Olie is pretty dense and has a wonderful talent for stating the obvious.

12. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    The handmaidens were actually putting up a strong case for themselves. I can't figure out if they do anything besides swap in for Amidala and occasionally blow up. The volunteer line for that job must stretch right around the block. Since they have a life expectancy of about 3 months you'd think they would at least give them some basic combat training or something.

13. Jedi_Flux

Jedi_Flux Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    Daultay Dofine
    He thought nothing could get through their Shields. But alas something did! ;)

Tarkin wasn't the first to make a critical error on such a large scale!

14. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    What is the basis for the thinking that the handmaidens don't have any basic combat training?

Aside from Sabé (the Queen's decoy), both Rabé and Eirtaé, equipped with a laserpistol, are in the assault group attempting to retake the palace.

15. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    Well, firing away with a pistol doesn't mean they know how to use it. Jar Jar does pretty well once he gets that droid wrapped around his foot but that doesn't really suggest combat training. And of course Eirtae gets blown up..walking down a ramp.

Basically it seems like being a handmaiden is a job with huge amounts of danger, and almost no upside. I fully appreciate the sentiment of being willing to risk their lives out of respect and honor for Amidala, but how long do they last? The reason their names all sound alike is probably so you can just plug new ones in when the assassinations start. At least the Emperor's Imperial Guards got armor and standard issue weapons. And you don't exactly see them blowing up all the time.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    OB1: for sitting on his a$$ in the middle of the desert doing nothing for 1/2 the movie.

He was practicing for the inter-trilogy time period ;)

I have to go with Anakin. People like Jar Jar and Nute are probably just of lesser intellegence, and though they are morons, they aren't morons who are supposed to be wonderkids. So Anakin wins that one.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    Well, firing away with a pistol doesn't mean they know how to use it.

If it was just the handmaidens and Amidala doing the assualt, I might would think that fit the handmaidens. In that situation their use of the pistol might be out of necessity. But in the assault on the palace, there are plenty of Naboo security and police and such accompanying Amidala so that throwing in a few handmaidens without defense skills wouldn't be logical. I can only think that they're included because they have the same ability to defend as at least plain Naboo security and police, and I would figure moreso being the last line of defense for the Queen.

And of course Eirtae gets blown up..walking down a ramp.

I don't remember this happening in TPM; can you tell me when/where?

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And of course Eirtae gets blown up..walking down a ramp.

OK first off, that's not Eirtaé, that's Cordé. Second, that is in AOTC, not in TPM aka Ep 1.

19. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    The blowing up reference was in regards to the lack of military training remark. Or, conversely, what evidence is there that they did have military training?

20. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    We are, for watching this stupid movie, over and over again, and arguing about minutia. ;)

Seriously, though, I have to go with QGJ. His absolute lack of foresight and consequences, combined with some of the lamest combat decisions put him at the top of my list. And check out his robe. He puts his lightsaber away so fast that only the sound of the blade deactivating hides the shredding of his clothes! (Liam Neeson moved faster than the FX team could keep up).

Wow, I have to feel sorry for poor Ric Olie with the beating he's taking here. OK, so he was Mr Obvious and had really bad makeup. That doesn't make him necessarily bad or dumb, just someone who can't keep his mouth shut.

Handmaidens and combat training... well, they were doing just as well/poorly as the palace guard and police.

JarJar was a dumb character idea, and I spiked his head on a post for halloween, but not the biggest cerebral liability. He, at least, knew that he was a loser.

Maul wasn't a character, he was a 1-dimensional expression of the badguy's will. He served no purpose beyond tokenism.
    Enjoy

21. OBI_GURL_KENOBI1

OBI_GURL_KENOBI1 Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2004
    I would say every1 who believed that Padme was a handmaiden I mean arn't people told her name or did no one ever figure out that her name was Padme DUH!

22. Nikknots

Nikknots Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Hmmm who is the biggest maroon in TPM nice question.

I must say its Shmi. She gets knocked up after hours in some Cantina and makes it all seem mystical... Do the galaxy a favor try birth control.

23. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    "I must say its Shmi. She gets knocked up after hours in some Cantina and makes it all seem mystical... Do the galaxy a favor try birth control."

LOL!

Ric Olie is easily the biggest moron. Every time I hear him say, "There's the blockade" and "Shield generator's been hit!" I crack up.

We should start a "Biggest Jerk" thread. Mace Windu and Yoda would take the honors.

Then we could get a "Biggest Snob" thread goin'. Ki Adi Mundi anyone?

24. -techno-union-

-techno-union- Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    I'd say Panaka, if he had his way they'd all be still stuck on Naboo or drifting through space looking for another planet to land on.
    And of course there that "Qui-Gon's in trouble" call. You don't say.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did try to contact Sio Bibble after he was told not to, giving away there position.

25. BlackDredi

BlackDredi Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2004
    Captain Tarpals

for telling Jar Jar to jump off that tank and getting them both caught instead of telling him to go in the tank and shoot at the droid army

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.