main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What civilized Planet would appoint a 14 year old Queen?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiJuanQuito, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewise1

thewise1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    They why does this thread exist?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Poppy, it has been said before, but I just want to point it out again. Lucas didn't change is mind for Episode II, there were several lines in Menace which clearly stated that Naboo was a democracy.

In the Senate, Palpatine states that Amidala was "recently elected"
    Also in that scene, Padme states "I wasn't elected to watch my people suffer and die...."
    In a conversation with Nute Gunray, Sio Bibble argues "This is a democracy, the people decide."

Naboo was ALWAYS a democracy. This isn't Lucas changing his mind, this is a fan not listening to the film.

-Seldon

3. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I stand corrected.

4. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    Shahpur II of the Sassanid Dynasty of the Persian Empire was crown when he was in his mother's womb before being born by placing the crown on the mother's stomach a few months before birth, he died at 82, hence he ruled for 82 years and few months

and he was sort of elected by the Sassanid witches who saw "forsaw" the child to be male and to a great leader

5. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    In Kyoto, Japan (during the 800's) they had a 16 year old boy serve as Chief of Police. It was a peaceful city, just like Theed. I have no problem accepting a teenager as a ruler of such a society. As for the title, Queen fits the fairy tale that is TPM better than another more official title.

6. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    I think I read in one of the EU books that right before the Great Time of Peace on Naboo, the Naboo appointed a woman to lead them into the war they had with the Gungans (I think). She did such a wonderful job, and all the people loved her, that they wanted her to be their Queen and establish a line of rulers to lead them. However, the Queen refused to establish a line, saying that from that day forth, they would elect the wisest and most competent of among them to rule the Naboo. Thus, they followed their most beloved Queen's wish.

Again, I think this was an EU book, it might have been fanfic :p Either way, I think it's a lovely sentiment.

I agree though, age matters not. I was reading a story the other month about an 18 year old who was fed up with his city's government and ran for mayor and got elected. It can happen, if you have the passion and the skill.

~Obischick [face_peace]

7. MasterJediJesus

MasterJediJesus Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    I think what bothers me the most was that she was elected....

I could understand If she was a princess and was given the throne, but to be elected.......

8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    If Padmé had hereditarily inherited the throne, fine. The thing is, that when children or young teens inherit thrones on Earth, usually there's someone called the "Lord Protector" or something who rules in place of the child until he/she is of age.

9. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    oddly enough, I think I actually saw that on TV, but that was a town with a population of like 100 people or less, if such a thing really even exists

10. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    In the SW universe, children are very capable and not as easily brushed off by adults, as in real life.

11. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
  12. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    I think the reason why the idea of an elected queen or an elected 14 year old for that matter seems so forced is because the original concept was probably a "real" Queen but if GL wanted to make a trilogy that was supposed to have deeper political meanings or lessons, then having the heroine be an absolute monarch would have undercut the story's meaning. So instead we got a compromise that is rather odd on its face.
    Of course no civilized planet or people would elect a 14 to be ruler. No one at 14 has the maturity to lead anyone except in the most extreme circumstances and the examples cited previously were not living in "civilized" societies in any way that modern people would even remotely understand this to mean. The arguement that Naboo was at peace and conflict-free so maybe the people wouldn't care only underscores the point that even those arguing for its plausibility don't think a 14 year old could handle any serious problem.
    The way I believe that Naboo is governed is that it's like a Monarchy in that they must be ruled by young girls, perhaps from a certain group, but are allowed to elect which one they prefer as some kind of a compromise.
    Maybe we should be trying to find analogies to the virgins in Greek temples for more feasible ideas of what was going on.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Don't forget about the Dalai Lama:
    Upon the death of the Dalai Lama, his monks institute a search for the Lama's reincarnation, or tulku (sprul sku), a small child. Familiarity with the possessions of the previous Dalai Lama is considered the main sign of the reincarnation. The search for the reincarnation typically requires a few years, which results in a gap in the list of the Dalai Lamas. The reincarnation is then brought to Lhasa to be trained by the other Lamas.

14. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Even Padme didn't think she was old enough nor ready. [face_thinking]

Also she wasn?t the youngest ever elected either. Which proves GL doesn?t care what this thread thinks :p

But if we think of Palpatine a rep. of Naboo and Sidious' (who?s Palpatine anyway) belief that "Queen Amidala was young and nieve?, I think he was possibly involved in making sure Naboo gets young Queens who can be manipulated to achieving the ends to his means.

Speaking of the Dalai Lama, sure sounds like ?Amidala? No? Hmmmm. ;)

15. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Here's a question:

What civilized planet would appoint a 18-19 year-old princess as its senator in the galactic senate?

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Maybe Naboo prefer their leaders to be young, so they can take on the role before they have become adults and been tainted by greed and corruption. Whatever age she was, Amidala was a good leader for her people and surely thats all that matters?

17. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Well, the Star Wars universe is different from real-life, for Naboo, gifted children like Padme is powerful enough from society to be elected Queen. Besides, her advisers also help her with the current tasks at hand and utilzing her gifted ideas to rule Naboo.

18. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I still think hereditary would have worked better for her in TPM. Naboo should have been one of the last was still like that.

19. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    One which knows the galactic senate is so impotent that it cannot even prevent its own impending dissolution. This pretty much makes who holds the position irrelevant.

20. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    She was made queen rather quickly I think, but wasn't there a King before her, who got assassinated, by Palpatine maybe?

21. tb02gro

tb02gro Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, in real life, what if this 14 year old Queen took over planet earth and made everything and everyone her slaves?

22. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    A more important question:

Why would the Jedi Council promote a drunk like Obi-Wan Kenobi to the rank of Master?

23. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Come on. He only gets drunk on weekends.

24. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Padme wasnt even the youngest queen and the queen in ROTS looks young as well so its obvious that Naboo tends to do this alot. Leia was elected to the senate when she was a teenager so age to the GFFA is different than for us. Besides Amidala does more than the Queen of England:D I liked the idea of a 14 year old queen she was a good leader and..... I just all around liked Amidala. Leia was still a teenager in ANH(I think) so she must have been elected at 17 or 18. I like to think that she was elected at 16 or 17 remember she is the youngest senator of all time. Naboo is not earth and the fact that they ALL could live in peace for centuries proves they know what they are doing when they elect their leaders. And its obvious the girl knows what she is doing seeing as how they wanted to make her the permanent queen.

25. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    Don't put earth rules in any Star Wars rules. You can't compare the two. This is Star Wars and it has it's own suggestions. Why is this topic still on? It should be locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.