main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What civilized Planet would appoint a 14 year old Queen?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiJuanQuito, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Like many have said -- I think this is mostly just a matter of different rules applying to the SW universe then ours.

"Why is this topic still on? It should be locked."

Why lock a perfectly good discussion? I say leave it be. It's different and interesting. Threads where everyone agrees tend to be boring and repetitive imo.

2. pink_saber_girl

pink_saber_girl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2005

I actually think a younger monarch, president, prime minister, etc. would be GOOD for a country, so long as they were capable and mature enough (and believe it or not some of us are). Our leaders now have their hands in too many things. They can't do everything they want because if a big company funds their campaign, then they have pretty much sold their soul (and vote) to that company and its wishes. A fourteen year old ruler would stick to their values and beliefs more. Also I think they would be more compassionate to their people, which is always a good trait to have as leader.

3. TI1800

TI1800 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    Tell me something....

Why is the government of a fictional world in a sci-fi fantasy being argued using Earth rules, and particularly comparing it to American culture? Are we THAT egotistical? Would it be easier to swallow if Nabooans.... Naboonioids.... um, Nabooese...whatever ... were green-skinned with 15 tentacles protruding from their nostrils?

4. SithLord16

SithLord16 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    really, and in which book or show did u hear that it is normal to elect young people on naboo, not in any one ive ever seen or read

5. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Tell me something....

Why is the government of a fictional world in a sci-fi fantasy being argued using Earth rules, and particularly comparing it to American culture? Are we THAT egotistical? Would it be easier to swallow if Nabooans.... Naboonioids.... um, Nabooese...whatever ... were green-skinned with 15 tentacles protruding from their nostrils?

It's called "frame of reference." We live in the real world, so therefore it would only make sense to judge the fictional government and ruler of Naboo against the real governments and rulers of the world we live in. Ego has nothing to do with it, it's simply comparing and contrasting the fictional world that we love with the real world that we live in.

6. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    the dalai lama as 2 hen dicsovered and there were many other kings like in the geerman histoey where there were young kings.

7. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    But again, you're refering to chosen or inherited rulers, not elected leaders.

IMHO, no one should be in politics until they're old, mature and cynical with nothing better to do.

8. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    You all are being silly. You can happily accept that people use the "force" to do mind tricks, pick up things telepathically, jump super high, move with incredible speed. You happily accept that there is an entire army of droids. You happily accept that there are huge space battles. You happily accept that there is a dark side and a light side. You happily accept a lot of ODD things (in our world) in Star Wars, but you can't accept that ONE planet and society elects young queens???

WHAT THE HECK!?!

9. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001

It's obvious you're not from Naboo then. ;)

~Obischick~[face_peace]

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Wait a minute, I thought the EU and/or backstory says that Naboo's king before Padme was deposed by a scandal, and that this same King was none other than Darth Plageuis, Palpatine's mentor and master. Was he 14?

11. darth_padme_amidala

darth_padme_amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    where did you hear that darth plageus ruled naboo as king?

and also i think that naboo society valued their younglings as being wiser than the elderly. something about purity of heart or something.

12. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001

Wow, I've never heard that before. As far as I knew, the ruler before Padme was King Veruna, and that he was mired in corruption and Padmé held to more traditional ideals and the people elected her.

~Obischick~[face_peace]

13. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Mandalorians rarely are.

14. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    At the end of the day though, Padme did a damn fine job of being queen and led her people through the worst crisis they'd probably ever had. So whether it seemed like a good idea or not to elect a 14 year old girl to be ruler, everyone who did was proved right.

Also, William Pitt the Younger studied politics at the University of Cambridge aged 14, first stood for election aged 21 and became Prime Minster of Great Britain aged 24.

15. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think it's Nubian as in "I need parts for a J-Type Nubian"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.