main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Clone War did Pellaeon fight in!?!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthRotten, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I was paging through Heir to the Empire again the other day and noticed a few things about Pellaeon's recollection of the Clone Wars. Now, I know the real reason for these discrepancies is that GL hadn't even started writing the prequels when TZ wrote HTTE, and Zahn probably should have avoided any mention of the Clone Wars, but didn't. Pellaeon is angry that Thrawn brought a CLONE aboard his ISD. As the captain of a Republic troopship during the Clone War (seen in SW:Republic), and as a ISD captain, he should be used to having clones aboard his ships. Also, he remembers that "some of the clones the fleet had faced were unstable, sometimes spectaculary so." When would he have fought AGAINST clones? Again I KNOW that this is because the book was written before AOTC, however, does anybody have an in-universe fix?

Maybe Pellaeon was recruited by Republic Intelligence to pretend to defect to the CIS and fought against clones then. Or maybe a group of clones went rogue and he was part of the fleet sent out to bring them down. Maybe that happened after the current Clone War and that is why they are referred to as Clone WarS. Just a few ideas...

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    He appears in Republic 64.

3. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    he does? that's cool... what does he do in that issue?

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    He's in charge of a fleet of crusiers. I haven't read the issue yet, it's not in my area yet.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    BTW- As far as I know, there's only one Clone War right now.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Up until right before AOTC's release, the reconciliation for this discrepancy was that there were indeed at least two "Clone Wars" fought; one prior to TPM (dating evidence from Zahn's original trilogy, The Farlander Papers and Rebel Assault II), and another one stemming out of what occurred on Geonosis.

Suddenly, LFL decreeth that there was but one "Clone War," occurring betwixt Episode II and Episode III. Which, of course, threw everything done up to that point agog, particularly Timothy Zahn's dating references.

Leaving Pellaeon's dialogue in that one chapter yet another event to be "fixed," unless temporary delusional psychosis was the reason...

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Up until right before AOTC's release, the reconciliation for this discrepancy was that there were indeed at least two "Clone Wars" fought<<

I don't believe there was ever any official stance of there being two clone wars- that was just a popular fan theory (one that flourished quite a bit in the early pages of the CW Dossier thread, as I recall).

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Unless they're talking about the multiple battles, remember that each "battle" for a planet was on an entire world, it would be like a wwii for each planet.

9. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    In an EU where wars spanning the entirety of the galactic Inner Rim take less than a year, that's probably (unfortunately) not the case.

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Can we say that Kamino clones start going mad late in the war - remember, the Kaminoans were allied with the Jedi - and after Ep.III, turn against the Empire, so that officially, the Empire stops using 'em...?

- The Imperial Ewok

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    In the prologue in Shatterpoint, and this years star wars fan club newsletter, Lucas refers to the war between Ep 1 and Ep 2 as the "Clone Wars", finally. Before then he always seemed to call the war the "Clone War".

However the EU always called it the "Clone Wars" for instance the title of the game "The Clone Wars".

"I don't believe there was ever any official stance of there being two clone wars- that was just a popular fan theory (one that flourished quite a bit in the early pages of the CW Dossier thread, as I recall)."

This was true it was just an unofficial fan theory. LFL always discredited whenever asked about it.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    ..it would be like a wwii for each planet.

Probably closer to a WW3 scenario.

13. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I imagine the Clone War/Clone Wars dichotomy is similar to the different terms Napoleonic War and Napoleonic Wars.

Personal Preference of the speaker, I guess.

As a note, in the early days of the war "Clone War" seems to be more popular.

Decades after, "Clone Wars" seems to be the more common term, possibly because the conflict turned out more destructive than expected.

(Or maybe the historians misquoted Yoda. :) )

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I think there have been some characters that started calling it the "Clone Wars" during the "Clone wars". For instance Yoda calls it the "Clone Wars" in "The Clone Wars" video game, IIRC.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, it's just two slightly different names for the same conflict. George Lucas just ******-up again.

16. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Well, historically, wars very rarely attain the name that they will be remembered with while the conflict is still going.

Look at the Great War/World War I/The First World War

or World War II/The Second World War/The Great Patriotic War

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I've never heard World War II called "The Great Patriotic War" before. Strange.

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I think that was the Russian name for the war?

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Hmm, I never thought of that.

20. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think that it may qualify for plurality simply because it seems to involve a lot of ground battles, where essentially each individual planet's collective set of battles is probably on the scale of a full war.

Otherwise, it could just be a slang term in the OT.

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Can we say that Kamino clones start going mad late in the war - remember, the Kaminoans were allied with the Jedi - and after Ep.III, turn against the Empire, so that officially, the Empire stops using 'em...?

No, because there's nothing that supports that right now. It wasn't the Kamino clones that would go mad, they're grown slowly, it would be the others, the Cartao ones that would go mad if grown too quickly.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Its supposed to be "Spaarti clones" that went mad, not "Kamino clones".

Both technologies are not the same, though Spaarti tech is modified Kamino tech.

23. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    What's this GeNode thing (it's supposedly the technique that the Imperials used to grow their stormtroopers by, or is it another name for the Kamonian technology?)

24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    It was the early Spaarti clones that went mad. The first Spaarti clones were pumped out a year after Geonosis so we can assume they started going mad around then.

GeNodes are one of two ways the Empire creates clones. GeNodes are grown in cloning cylinders and decanted fully grown. They have false memories and a programmed personality, presumably to guard against from any mental anguish they might experience upon realizing they are a clone.

There are other type of clones which appear to be more elite than the GeNodes. They are grown normally and are raised from birth to believe they have a manifest destiny. They were created to serve the Empire and they do so willingly. Presumably these are elite stormtroopers , raised to believe they are special and superior in order to give them more drive and initiative. So far we have seen these type of clones serve on the Death Star. We also know that members of the Imperial Guard are chosen from the ranks of these clones. Unlike GeNodes, these clones are not programmed. They are indoctrinated and brainwashed. There's always a chance the indoctrination can fail. GeNodes are less risky. Their desire to serve is programmed into their genes.

The GeNode type clones participated in putting down a rebellion on kashyyk five years or so before Yavin

25. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I said it in the feelings on the Clone War thread and I say it again here. I think even without the inclusion of material between Ep1 and Ep2 being made Clone Wars material that the term Clone Wars would still hold true rather than it merely being Clone War. It's like wars such as the Hundred Years War, a war made up of numerous smaller wars with the same basic principle. Here you have the Sepratists and the Republic fighting the bigger, central war. Then you have all these individual civil wars which both the Sepratists and the Republic are supplying forces and weapons to. Had these wars occured at any other time, then they would not be considered a part of the Clone Wars. In fact they could still fail to be considered a part of the Clone Wars if the Republic and the Sepratists were to not become involved in them. It is these civil wars and the involvement of the Republic and the Sepratists which turns the Clone War taking place between AotC and EpIII into a series of Clone Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.