main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What color should Rey's lightsaber be?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Doop, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I don't think we know one way or another... do we? I haven't been keeping up, as it seemed about as changeable as Rey's heritage or Snoke's Plagueis status. I do tend to point out to folks on social media that a saber does not a Jedi make, as Zam's Vizsla picture proves, along with the recent occasion of Han & Chewie (and Leia, but, y'know...Skywalker) using sabers to take down TIE pilots in Marvel.

If he doesn't have the Force, tho, after TFA, there's probably little chance he'll want a saber of his very own.

If she's a Skywalker and/or Solo (or a Dameron with the Force), then it kinda makes sense she'd be awesome at everything.

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    People tend to not identify with Mary Sues. Can't believe John would. But I imagine you already know that.

3. Jedi MD

Jedi MD Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Then which one is it? Is she good at everything or she starts off at the bottom and works her way up. I'm all for that kind of character, but from what I gather from the spoilers, shes an awesome pilot, she is amazing at melee combat and highly acrobatic and she stalemates kylo ren with no practice with the saber. She's far more advanced then Luke was in ANH.

Wait so Poe is Force Sensitive now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NostalgiaFan and Momotaros like this.
  4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm putting my trust in John's perception, moreso than forum speculation, much of which is hyperbolic in its descriptions of a character some have chosen to dislike sight unseen.

And Rey's saber will be blue.

JediRocks74 likes this.
  5. Jedi MD

Jedi MD Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Cool as long as John gets a green one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if the new canon is avoiding presenting green as a standard Jedi color like the prequels, TCW, and Legends did. Kanan and Ezra both have blue sabers and there's no sign of any sabers other than Anakin's and Kylo's in what we've seen of TFA.

7. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Chewie and Han both used green sabers in a recent issue of "Star Wars" (Chewie used both green and blue, of course)

8. Darth Anomaly

Darth Anomaly Jedi Knight

Oct 21, 2015
    i reckon..... [​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. SOLARISENSHI

SOLARISENSHI Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2015
    The lightsaber in package still looks like Luke's lightsaber maybe her and finn trade off during certain points in the foce awakens

10. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I'd like to see Rey with a teal or turquoise saber, right in the middle between Anakin's blue and Luke's green. Balance!

Robert Merrill likes this.
  11. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Beep boop beep. Tweet doot boop beeeereeeepppp, teed beep rroorrrr blip beep blip bop
    Droidspeak for "#YoloYellow"

12. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Chewie actually uses blue and yellow... (Yellow lightsabers confirmed!) :D
    [​IMG]
    (For that matter, the lightsaber Leia is holding looks pretty suspiciously like a non-standard color as well: teal, turquoise, whatever you wanna call it.)

13. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Dude, that's green. They're just different variations on blue & green, just like we saw in TCW (like Ahsoka's saber & shoto... saber was one kind of green, the shoto was a different green with more yellow in it).

14. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
  15. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I don't like the route there going with sabers. Sabre's are special and should be for special people only. Making that anyone can wield them irks me so badly.

NostalgiaFan and Dak Oolron like this.
  16. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    In the comic, Han fumbles around with it. Anyone can weild them, it takes skill to use it properly. Are you forgetting Luke in ANH?

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    lol. Maybe it's colored differently in other panels of the comic, but the following colors of lightsabers are definitely in this pic:
    • Blue
    • Teal
    • Green
    • Yellow
    I totally agree. Even if some ridiculous situation forces them to use it in the comic, I still don't like it.

18. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    She has her fathers, so Blue..........no?

19. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

So its like any weapon.

I've been doing both Iaido and Kendo for years. Anyone can pick up a Katana or Shinai and swing it around hit someone else with it. A lot of people could even pick it up and do a basic block and counter - but to true use a Katana or Shinai correctly and properly......that takes time.

20. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    I hope it's unique in both design and color. What about like a greenish blue? Maybe like this chicks eye
    [​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darth dariakus

darth dariakus Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2014

They're just swords, they're not Thor's hammer. Anyone can pick one up and turn it on and fumble their way about with it. And someone with some sword fighting training could probably fumble their way a bit better. It's extremely dangerous, however, and extremely light. That's a combination that would require some pretty amazing skills to use appropriately without chopping your own limbs off. So it makes sense that only Jedi ever actually fight effectively with them.

22. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Wrong.

This is how saber colors we know about in canon basically break down: red, purple, yellow, blue, green, white. (leaving out the darksaber). There can be a lot of variance within each category, but the Jedi Order--as we were told by George--used blue & green. Mace had his special purple, and the Jedi Temple Guards had yellow saber-pikes, but everyone else used blue or green of various hues as we saw--including Ahsoka's shoto, which was a yellowish-green (but still green... no Jedi outside of the Temple Guards used yellow sabers so far) just like Chewie's saber there. Eye-dropper the image. The closest you get to yellow is somewhere between the outer glow and the white interior. It's still green, just a different green than Han's, like Leia's blue saber is different from Chewie's blue saber. "Teal" is still a type of "blue". The colorist on the comic knows what they're doing. The only canonical yellow sabers are Asajj's from Dark Disciple and the Jedi Temple Guard sabers, that's it.

Re: "anyone can use 'em", the reason they're used is because an EMP had just made blasters useless for a bit... the heroes are trying to get to Luke, and there are bunch of TIE pilots between them. R2 gives 'em all sabers, so sabers are what they have to use against the Imps. Not like anyone's deflecting blaster bolts or dueling like PT Jedi with 'em.

23. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Sounds like you have some pre-conceived concept about lightsaber colors that you are desperately trying to make this image fit into. I'm just telling you what I see in the pic. If yellow looks like yellow-green to you (perhaps due to wishful thinking), well, I can't really argue against that... I suppose I could even give you the benefit of the doubt and hope this is due to a "Blue/Black vs White/Gold dress" kinda thing going on?

Also, I'm not sure why it's so important to you that lightsabers be grouped into general colors instead of identifying what particular color they actually are. Thinking back to the Battle of Geonosis, weren't all blue lightsabers the same blue, and green lightsabers the same green? I said "teal" because the color shown in the pic is a clear divergence from the blue we consistently see in all of the episodic films.

You yourself acknowledge that the Temple Guards canonically have yellow blades in TCW... I don't see how that confirms that other yellow lightsabers cannot exist in the GFFA? o_O I personally don't care about any of the cartoons, but I enjoy the fact that they have resulted in something useful like lightsaber blades being canonically shown in colors other than the traditional blue, green, and red. I don't like white or black as saber colors, but at least they go to show that GL's attempt to restrict lightsabers to three colors (plus one purple anomaly) no longer applies...

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  24. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    It's not due to "wishful thinking", it's due to facts. You're seeing the colors wrong, period. The groupings are based on the canon of saber colors throughout the films, TCW, Rebels, and the canon books & comics. The JTGs are the only Jedi with yellow sabers in canon so far, and Mace is the only one with a purple blade so far... all the other Jedi sport blue or green per George in 2002, in varying shades (Tera Sinube's being one of the most extreme), just like Ahsoka's two differing green blades.
    [​IMG]
    Her shoto is more yellow-ish, but it's still green...just as Chewie's blade is green. Just as the dress is blue & black.

25. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    hahaha... Well, that stance always makes for a fruitful discussion. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I do agree with you, there...

darklordoftech and Toonimator like this.