main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What comics are your "must haves", before DH loses the license?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Orman Tagge, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    As the title says, I'm wondering which comics you are really trying to put your hands on (or just planning on ordering online - the internet makes everything so very un-epic) before they go out of print and presumably rise in price?

I ask mostly to verify for myself that I haven't been the only person buying comics at a disgusting rate since the announcement.

And for me? I'm hoping to grab most of the omnibusses I don't have: Dark Times, At War with the Empire, Shadow of the Empire, Sons of Tattooine, Rogue Squadron, Early Victories, Boba Fett, and Wild Space 2 and holy crap I'm going to spend so much money on this. I'm also hoping to get the 5 Classic Star Wars collections (not the Marvel ones, but the old DH comics), Legacy II, and the last DotJ book.

What is it for you?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I already have most of what I want, which consists of most the omnibuses released before last year as well as the Dark Empire and Crimson Empire hardcover releases -- plus the original Dark Empire TPB with the endnotes. I have the entire SW Republic run Clone Wars TPBs but maybe it's worth getting the omnibus collections since the TPBs probably won't last as long.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still need KOTOR vol. 3 Omnibus, Dark Times Vol. 2 Omnibus, Legacy Vol. 2 Outcasts of the Broken Ring, Wanted: Ania Solo and whatever the 3 parter is, Classic Star Wars, half of the Omnibuses, DOTJ, AOTE, JvS, TOR, LTOTS, KE, Invasion, Tales, Republic before the Clone Wars, X-Wing among other things.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hard to say if that's so. On the few Omnibuses I did buy, I didn't like the binding compared to normal trades, it may be the normal TPBs are the better bet after all!

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I still need the last 10 omnibuses that Dark Horse released (Dec 2012 to may 2014)

Then all the trades. Whatever trade that is out of print and is super expensive I'm getting digitally. Its a compromise, but I just don't think its worth putting $50 bucks or more on Chewbacca, Union or Classic Star Wars.

6. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think which one will last longer varies between individual TPBs and omnibuses. My Clone Wars Volume 1 TPB began coming apart within 30 minutes and I bought it new. Then my Quinlan Voss Omnibus began showing evidence of coming apart when I finished reading it, the same thing occurred with Menace Revealed. On the other hand, my Kotor omnibuses remain in good shape, as does Dark Times 1.

7. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    :eek: There's a Dark Empire hardcover?!?!? That's something I should have known, and purchased the moment it came out. Oh, the shame.... Getting that, right away. The Crimson Empire one as well, I saw it a couple of days ago and didn't buy it.

What I'm looking to achieve is complete my pre-Ep. I collection. I need less than 10 trade paperbacks plus the TOR tie-ins and the Darth Bane Trilogy to have a complete Old Republic collection (excluding short stories, that is). Eventually, of course, I want to have a complete EU collection, but that's a long term goal.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

That's pretty much what went through my mind back at the start of the year.

I've now got basically all but one of the Omnibuses, and... nearly finished getting all the TPBs I'm missing that I still want.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've basically gotten everything that's come out in the past 8 years or so in monthlies (the general transition from Republic/Empire to Rebellion/KOTOR/Legacy was when I decided to make my own transition), but I will probably end up getting a number of trades from that time - the two Blood Ties and Agents of the Empire, Ghost Prison, and possibly the Dark and Crimson Empire comprehensive collections.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    All of the Omnibuses, followed by "Knight Errant."
    Then pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

11. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    Classic Star Wars collections go for about 20 bucks each, and there're a total of 5 books that collect all of them.

I'm also really torn. I really want the Dark Empire HC, but I can't find it for less than $100 and I already have the TPB's for the series...

Starkeiller likes this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Dark Times
    legacy (both volume 1 and 2)
    Quinlan Vos jedi in darkness
    clone wars comics (pre TCW ones)
    Kotor
    totj
    agent of the empire
    Crimson empire
    knight errant
    Tales (most of them anyway)

13. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Sadly, most of them. I have Tales of the Jedi, Dark Times vol 1 (and 2? unsure), Knight Errant vol 1, X-wing 1 and 2, Quinlan JiD, KOTOR in the original TPBs and Legacy in the original TPBs, two of the NJO TPBs, Union, the Chewie one, and most of the TCW mini comics that include Obi-Wan's face of a thousand nightmares.

So I still have a lot of spending to do.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    My main focus is getting all the Omnibuses with the Marvel comics, movie adaptations, and Droids omnibuses being at the bottom of the list simply because I gotta focus on the more important stuff first! I only have the three volumes of X-Wing Squadron and Tales of the Jedi volume 1. Talk about behind! The Legacy and KOTOR comics are the must have though as long as I have those I can be almost satisfied. Star Wars picked the wrong time to go back to Marvel! Money is tight!

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I really hope dark horse has a nice discount on their digital comics before the license goes.

Their "may the 4th bundle" was rather....unappealing.

I wouldn't mind physical discount either, but i don't think they sell from their stock but rather point you to TFAW

16. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    Yeah I'm not really into digital comics. It just doesn't feel like the way they were meant to be appreciated - and it isn't.

17. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Legacy. All day. Every day. Best built setting of the EU. Shame to lose it.

Zorrixor, Jedi Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    The collected Crimson Empire Series, along with every single Omnibus.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'd miss an awful lot of good stuff that is un-Omnibused you know!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    Just out of curiosity, what would you recommend that isn't omnibussed? Off the top of my head I would say Agent of the Empire, Dark Empire (although that has a hardcover), DotJ, Purge, Jedi vs. Sith...what else?

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One thing to note first - the Legacy, DE, TTT, CE hardbacks are practically the same size as Omnibuses, they're just hardback so a little more expensive but, like a lot of DHC stuff, they're great value.

Now, if anyone wants to buy a SW book that may well go up in value and get about 5 trades' worth of material, consider grabbing this slipcased, oversized 800-page hardback:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Luke-Skywalker-Galaxy/dp/1595821511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399376699&sr=8-1&keywords=luke skywalker last best hope

Luke Skywalker: Last Hope for the Galaxy

It collects:
    • Luke Skywalker's Walkabout (colorized)
    • Falling Star
    • The Day after the Death Star
    • The Return of Ben Kenobi
    • Star Wars 17: Crucible (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars Empire: "General" Skywalker
    • Star Wars Empire: The Wrong Side of the War
    • Star Wars Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy
    • Star Wars 38: Riders in the Void (Marvel Series)
    • Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    • Star Wars 60: Shira's Story (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars 61: Screams in the Void (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars 62: Pariah (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars 63: The Mind Spider (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars 95: No Zeltrons (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars 96: Duel With a Dark Lady (Marvel Series)
    • Star Wars 97: Escape (Marvel Series)
    • Dark Empire (The entire first Dark Horse mini-series)
    • The Boy I Once Was - Star Wars: Chewbacca 4
    It's quite, quite excellent.

Stuff that is not nor ever will be Omnibused that I strongly recommend:

Legacy Volume II - 4 trades, V1 out now, V2 due this month, V3 August, V4 November: Read Legacy Volume I, then you need to read this! Not read Legacy Volume I? Read it anyway! If only for one of the most bad-arse droids you'll ever see!

Knight Errant - 3 trades, all out - from the writer of KOTOR, Miller creates some of the most original Sith you'll ever see, oh and grab the book too.

Lost Tribe of the Sith - out now: Worth a look but only if you've got and read the LTotS omnibus book, if you have, grab this too.

Agent of the Empire - 2 volumes, out now - cruelly curtailed, this is brilliant stuff.

Darth Vader & the Ghost Prison - out now, hardback only - grab this, easily the best of the "Darth Vader &" series, with superb art from Alessio.

Purge - out now - A collection of Vader killing Jedi, the strongest stories are the first and last, which is a brilliant 2-parter.

Blood Ties - 2 volumes, out now - thought there couldn't be a decent Boba Fett story post-PT? Think again, Taylor blends both of what we know of Fett from OT and PT and makes the character cool again.

Rebel Heist - Due Nov, this has just started in comic form and is worth keeping an eye out for due to the concept of having the main 4 (yeah, Chewie counts) seen through other characters' eyes. That and issue 1 has a pole-dancing caterpillar in a bar!

Force Smuggler and BoromirsFan like this.
  22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

I'm aware, I guess lol I don't really know much about what stories aren't omnibused, but due to the sheer amount of stories already collected in them, omnibuses are my main priority. I already have the DE hardback, and I do plan to get the first legacy series that's been collected.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well DJ, now there's a recommended hit list!

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, forgot about that Luke Skywalker book- I knew about it of course, but it was too expensive for me, and I didn't even recognize most of the stories (or already owned the stories listed in other books). Though I picked up most of the old Marvel series during the recent Amazon sale.

Just how oversized is it? I might be able to afford it (the collector value alone is very tempting), but not sure how much space I have to store stuff left. Not sure I'd ever resell stuff either or just hold onto it for prosperity's sake.

25. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Thanks for that, even if it was aimed at Tagge. I still have a great deal of the graphic novels to collect, and that's more I can add to the 'buy' list. It's easy to keep track of the books thanks to the timeline of them generally supplied, but TPBs are not so easy. I'm certain i'm going to miss some. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.