main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What comics did you pick up this week?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I liked most of Miller's run, the main thing that UXM has had against it is lack of a consistant creative team.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Amazing how having the same team for extended periods of time can help a book. Go figure.

I'm concerned about the Ultimate Universe right now, for the long term. Nobody is going to be able to take anything away from Miller's work on UXM, the Ultimates and UF4, or Bendis on USM, but as time goes by and creative teams change the universe is slowly getting less and less... Ultimate.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I can take things away from his UF4 run. It featured art by Greg Land and he is a abomination.

5. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I started getting into the ultimate unicerse in september and then stopped after reading the first 74 issues of x men and most of USM including the clone saga. I've read all of the ultimates stuff and i will probably read miller's run on UFF at some point. The ultimate universe is starting to get too bogged down with it's own continuity just like the normal marvel universe.

6. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Amazingly, this week was half-and-half for company product shopping. (It would've been more DC skewed, if the shop I went to wasn't sold out of all "World War 3" issues.)

DC:
    All Star Superman- 7
    Justice League of America- 8
    Nightwing Annual- 2
    Wonder Woman- 7
    Brave and the Bold- 3

Marvel:
    New Avengers- 28 and 29
    Mighty Avengers- 2
    Omega Flight- 1
    Thunderbolts- 113

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Does anyone know of any good UK website that I can get Star Wars Legacy from?

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I didn't realize that it wasn't carried over there. :(

I know that DC/Marvel didn't used to be carried over there, not in the same format as today. Didn't realize that things persisted like that.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Amazon.co.uk are taking pre-orders for the trade paperback collection here

Forbidden Planet might be able to hook you up with a comic-book subscription here.

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Raven: it is, I just don't want the hassle of finding a shop that sells it.

soitscometothis: Forbidden Planet only have them from #11 and I need #9 and #10.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Can someone check Legion of Comics for me? There doesn't seem to be any 'add to basket' or similar buttons anywhere. It doesn't seem to have Legacy #11 either.

Edit: Mystery solved, they're not taking orders today. It doesn't mention Legacy #11 though.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Picked up Wolverine 52 and 53.

Um, lupine? Human/canine evolution? Is this really necessary?

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

It's comics. Worse has happened. Maybe. :p

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This week:

Fallen Son: Avengers
    Silent War #4
    X-Men: First Class #8 - End of the mini, but I'm excited about the new ongoing series in a few months
    Ms. Marvel #14
    Wolverine #53 - I'm really not sure how I feel about this whole "lupis sapien" situation, interesting but could potentially change several characters
    Daredevil #96
    Punisher: Barracuda #3
    Se7en #4
    Walking Dead #37 - Oh Lori, WHY???
    Exiles #93
    Fantastic Four #545

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I ordered Legacy #9 and #10, I'm just waiting for them to be delivered. :cool:

16. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I saw that in the comic stores. What does that actually have to do with the Punisher?

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Barracuda is a character introduced in Punisher MAX. He's a tough ex-con and criminal hitman who fought the Punisher and lost. This book just explores his life after his run in with Frank Castle and it looks as if he's planning some revenge. It doesn't look like the Punisher is going to show up in this mini but I wouldn't be surprised to see Barracuda show up in Punisher MAX again. The book itself is entertaining with the regular morbid humor and brutal violence of Punisher MAX. It's essentially a Punisher book without the Punisher.

18. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    Wolverine 53
    fallen son 2
    silent war 4

I'm not too thrilled with the story in wolverine, but the art is awesome.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Random question, but what is Se7en about? Is it anything to do with the film?

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes. Each issue tells the story of one of the murders from the movie from John Doe's perspective.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That sounds interesting. What's it like so far?

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    They're actually pretty interesting as each issue delves deeper into his psyche. The most recent issue, "Lust", details part of John Doe's childhood with overprotective parents who beat him when he even looks at a girl, because it's a sin. It's all pretty twisted stuff.

23. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Eh, psychologizing movie killers is interesting to a certain extent, but part of what I thought made Doe so very very effective was that we never learned anything about who he was, really, or why (beyond that he was preaching to them) he did what he did. I wasn't interested in this anyway, but even if I were, I think I'd have to pass on principle. There's a real power in the fact that even after he's in custody the killer is never anything more than John Doe, and I'd not want to mess with that.

-Paul

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I might look into the Se7en comics then, I really liked the movie.

I got Legacy #9 and #10 today. #11 is out in a few days too, the preview is just wow, I can't wait for it to get here.

25. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I picked up the first Legacy TPB, Punisher WJ#6, Dark Tower Book #4, and the Birth of Venom TPB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.