main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What comics did you pick up this week?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I was way behind on New Avengers, so I picked up issues #15 and 16 yesterday. I'll pick up #17 on my next trip to the comic book store.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    That was the Illuminati thing right?

I had thought about picking it up but didn't realize that they put it under the "New Avengers" banner so I didn't notice it. Eh, nothing I've heard about it (or the FF Civil War tie-in) have been great, mostly pretty bad actually, I might just pick up the monthly Civil War and skip the rest.

3. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    No, the Illuminati Special is a one-shot. I haven't seen that issue anywhere.

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well it was directed more to Trilobite. I assumed he was refering to it and not #17 because he was talking this week and not last but maybe not.

5. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Batman #651 was gone when I hit the comic shop last week, but I happened to check the comics rack at B&N tonight and they had it. I was really happy with it. Only screwup was that Robin's costume was done wrong at first. I really like his new outfit. I might grab the current Robin arc as well.

6. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Just picked up the aforementioned New Avengers: Illuminati special.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    #

Yeah, it was the Illuminati issue.

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    On 3-29 i picked up:

New Avengers: Illuminati
    Iron man 6
    X-men deadly genesis 5
    ff 536
    The sentry 7
    Kotor 3

9. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Just got Infinite Crisis 6, OMAC Project 1, and Teen Titans 34...

IC 6 was damn good... very action heavy, which I like. Great fights in the last half...Poor Conner :(

OMAC 1 was pretty good too. I'll give it a 'B'.

Teen Titans 34 was kinda strange... and almost a little creepy at the end... but I'm a newcomer to this series, only have from like 30 til now... and I like where this is going!

10. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    New comics this week I picked up today:

Infinite Crisis 6
    Omac Special
    Silver Surfer 1
    Moon Knight 1
    Excalabur 6
    Ultimate Xmen 69

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Picked up:

KOTOR 3
    Tag & Bink Special Edition

Both pretty good.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Quite a big day.

Infinite Crisis #6
    Teen Titans #34
    Aquaman Sword of Atlantis #41
    Action Comics #837
    New Avengers Illuminati Special
    Fathom #8 (which I didn't realize I already had :mad: )
    Superman #650 (since Raven held it in such regard. Good call :D )
    Cyber Force #1

DC continues to impress with their OYL. Loved the Titans book. Not to mention IC #6 which shed a lot of light on the OYL thing. ;)

13. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    weezer- is this new Aquaman thing any good? I'm afraid to pick it up...

...and I still want to know what happened to the Flash-es... All it said was that Bart was "retired" in Titans...

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Its pretty darn good. I never thought I'd be picking up a Aquaman book let alone enjoying one. It hasn't been the highlight of OYL but it certainly is a star.

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Wonderful week. The highlights:

Infinite Crisis #6: There seems to be some debate about the end of this, whether or not Superboy met a fine enough end. Well, in my opinion, it was the best and most in character death I can ever recall seeing in a comic book. He saved the universe against an enemy much, much more powerful than he, and his last line was perfectly, perfectly in character. There was apparently more to this comic ? for example I seem to recall Black Adam defacing another characters image, so to speak ? but it?s all overshadowed by the ending. This made for an awesome penultimate issue, leaving me more existed than ever for the conclusion. 10/10.

The New Teen Titans #34: Count me as one of the few who likes the new lineup. I didn?t like how the Teen Titans lineup kept expanding every few issues, and taking it back down to five is a good thing in my opinion. It won?t last very long. I think that we can be pretty sure to see Raven, Speedy and Kid Flash back before the year is done. In the meantime however, this new team should be great fun. Ravager has the crazy psycho bad-girl trying to be a good-girl thing going (I hope it lasts). Cassandra as she is now is a bitter, angry woman. Cyborg mistrusts half of the team and doesn?t consider them to be real Titans. Kid Devil is ironically probably the happiest and most stable member of the current group and I?m guessing that he?ll be filling Beast Boy?s role as the comic relief. And Robin? Hot damn. The reveal of the Robin-Cave was nice in of itself, a sign of how he?s becoming more and more like Batman all the time, but the secret project he?s working on? Damn. I wonder if Luthor is helping him. He?s darker than he is in Face the Face and his own title, but this is the confident, leading Robin that I want to see. Robin should be leading the Teen Titans, and now he is. As set-up issues go, this one worked quite well to kick off the new status quo. This isn?t the friendly, happy group of friends who got together on weekends to save the world. This is older, slightly bitter people who see the Titans as much as group therapy as anything else. 10/10.

Marvel Zombies #5: PWND. That?s really all that needs to be said. I don?t normally care for zombie stories, but this one won my heart. Love the survivors at the end, and the final glimpse of the Galactus. I?m not sure if I ever want to see a sequel ? this was almost too perfect in of itself. 9/10.

Detective Comics #818: I love this arc. All three parts to date equally. This is Batman as he should be. Robin is slightly too emo, but that?s survivable. Batman and Robin are back, they?re a team again, and they?re unstoppable together. That?s really seems to be the point of the story, and it?s good tack to take in my opinion. My only issue with the issue is the art, which makes some faces seem a little off. I?d rather see something more gritty-looking on Batman. 9/10.

16. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Superboy's death reminds me alot of Supergirls death back in the Original Crisis. Both were very well done. I remenber when Infinite Crisis started DC stated that it's not a crisis without a Flash Dying, but I think now that it's not a crisis without a member of the Superman Family sacrificing themself for the better good.

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Robin is actually scaring me with his secret little project.

18. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    Me too! I'm glad I decided to put down the Titans in my folder at the comic shop! This is going to get good...

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Yeah, Teen Titans is mighty interesting at the moment.

Anyone else kind of hoping for a Tim-Cassie-Rose love triangle?

20. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Infinite Crisis- Awesome. 'Nuff said.
    Detective Comics- I enjoyed this arc and I'm glad they killed off a semi-major villain to make it seem all the more serious.
    The OMAC Project Special- It really wasn't all that special. No, not at all.
    The Book of Lost Souls- fantastic one of my favorite comic series out there. The mythology gets better and better with each and every issue.
    Batman and the Monster Men- Haven't read it yet.
    Batman: Secrets- Oddly surreal but quite intriguing.

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    What is most frightening is that, despite his protests about not being Batman, he's going more and more down that road?

Orphan? Check

Brooding? Check

Master Planner? Getting there

Big creepy cave with bats and glass case containing the costume of a fallen partner? CHECK

Spooky.

22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Hmm.
    Alright kiddies, lets see if we can play "Worlds Greatest Detective".

Kgbeast was thrown off a building. One might say he "flew" off the building. Then Magpie ended up dead. Then Magpie is strung up like a puppet. Then Scarface and Ventriaquist are next. But what about there deaths is significant? What about the way they were killed tells us who the next victim is?

Thinking caps on, me dearies.

23. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Today I picked up New Avengers #17 and the Runaways Volume 5 digest. I wanted to get the latest Teen Titans and Spike vs. Dracula, but they were nowhere to be found. :(

24. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Detective Comics #818 was great, although the beginning didn't make much sense for me. :p

25. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    Picked up Nightwing 119, Battle for Bludhaven 1, and Green Arrow 61...

Bludhaven was kinda lame- lot of nobody metas who get their butts handed to them...

Green Arrow was good- started slow but left me wanting more by the end! (that, and GA is my favorite hero)

Now Nightwing- that was surprising... I picked this one up just cuz my folder looked pretty empty and I needed to read something. This was good- better than I expected it to be... Looks like Dick has a lot of work ahead of him..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.