main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What deleted scenes do you wish were included in the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Zannah, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I understand it, there's a funny bit in the Jympson cut that I think might've worked in the final cut: after getting away from the trash compactor, the heroes are walking down a Death Star corridor, trying to act nonchalant as Imperial officers walk right past them, not even noticing.

There's a bit of this left in the release version. As they go to the window overlooking the Falcon in Bay 327, you can see Han trying to hide his gun behind his back as they cross the corridor.

2. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    To be honest? None of them. I even wish they kept out the deleted scenes that re-appeared in the SE. Heck, I wouldn't even want the Han and Leia scene from Bespin put back in--even though I get a bonus kissing moment out of it. It just doesn't work for me, and I completely understand why they decided to rework it.

I don't know, in my experience, it seems like most deleted scenes (in any film) end up on the cutting room floor for a reason: ultimately, the final films are better without them.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

As far as the OT is concerned, I agree - love seeing them as bonus features, but the films are better without them included. I don't think there's a single deleted scene I would say would improve any of the films if it were put back in, however interesting and well-done many of them are.

The PT is another matter, however - plenty of the deleted scenes were removed with good cause, but there's some which would have greatly improved the films and given further depth (Padme's family in AOTC, the birth of the Rebellion from ROTS).
    There's one from TPM which is a bit baffling, too - when Qui-Gon and Anakin are just about to leave Mos Espa, Qui-Gon spots and destroys a Sith probe droid, explaining why we suddenly see them running as if being pursued in the next shot. For some reason, this short, highly explanatory little scene was removed, and we go from Qui-Gon and Anakin simply leaving Mos Espa to running in a panic through the desert - from what, we don't know.

Anyway, point being I think the filmmakers can sometimes get it wrong, or their priorities are somewhat different.

Sarge, SlashMan and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The bolded. That's a good one. Though didn't we see a probe droid in the background of the scene where Qui-Gon was talking to Watto?

5. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    We see all sorts of probe/camera droids floating around, don't know if that's meant to be the Sith one. Either way, the explanation for Qui-Gon and Anakin running through the desert (i.e. discovering they're being tracked) still isn't there.

(I didn't really mean to drag the PT into this, it's just an example of how there are deleted scenes from films which make you scratch your head as to why they were removed)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hmm. Didn't think about that. Just assumed it was the one. Though it is needed in there. I assume it is in the novel?

7. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    I wish the scene from ROTJ where Luke completes his lightsaber. I think that scene almost works as a healing process for him from Cloud City.

8. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I also like the expanded "possible kiss" after Luke was healed and leia was visiting him in ESB

9. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

No way. The actual kiss shortly after (which was really just to irritate Han) has caused enough trouble as it is, following the Leia-as-Luke's-sister revelation in ROTJ. The romantic feelings between Luke and Leia in that earlier part of the scene are too genuine to be easily rationalised, despite it being a very well-written, performed and executed scene.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    C'mon Nub lets take it back to biblical times for the saga lol