main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What did Palpatine do with all his new free time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, May 31, 2014.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Of course, Sidious hadn't already won in anything but the short term. And it was because of the man's short sighted folly in assuming he had that Yoda lived to train Luke Skywalker.

And that is why the Jedi always win. Because Sith are dumb.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's because they are often ex-Jedi. Whose Jedi Councils are often dumber.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the mask is all jacked up -- as they say. Look at the area by his nose -- on the screen right iirc.

As for the Yoda fight, the Emperor obviously had the best plan in mind. You guys foolishly assume that destroying Yoda was the object. Instead, humiliating him was key to convincing him that he had failed and that all Jedi should go into hiding instead of fight. It was a brilliant piece of psychological warfare that saved the Empire having to deal with what are still very dangerous enemies.

Never underestimate His Imperial Majesty. Never.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth Basin, Sable_Hart and Zorrixor like this.
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    True. But for Palpatine, it's all about having fun.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Another thing: When Palps fought Yoda, he didn't have all the Dark Side "infrastructure" (adepts, Hands, battle meditation, etc.) that he had in ROTJ to draw energy from. Palps was almost vampiric that way.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Depends on which definition you're using.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "All the best people are."

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Don't think there's any evidence to imply Sidious was drawing energy in such a way from other Darksiders in the galaxy. :confused:

10. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I always took it as a secondary reason for the Rule of Two, to keep the Sith from making themselves the enemy and that it left more of the Darkside for them to feed on, increasing there individual power as well. I have no text to back it up right now, just an idea I've always had. If I think of any I'll attach it.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    How has this thread made it to page five with no one posting this video.

Clearly he spent most of his day dithering over what to have for lunch.

12. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

If his apprentice took vacations I don't see why he wouldn't.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

In terms of there being more of the Dark Side, you'd want to look at Jedi vs Sith, the comic detailing Darth Bane destroying the Brotherhood of Darkness, and Darth Bane Path of Destruction probably mentions it as well. It details Bane's conversation with Githany, in which he states that one of the reasons the Brotherhood must be destroyed is that:

The Dark Side is spread too thin. We have too many Dark Lords. Even the strongest wine cannot be felt in an ocean of weak water. For the Dark Side to be strong again it should be contained in one vessel! One Lord!

This is the only example I can think of where such an implication/statement is made, that the Force, specifically the Dark Side, has a limit to which it can be drawn from or used, and that more people/beings drawing from it lessens the amount others can draw from it. The above is a direct quote from the comic, which I have.

Personally, i've never agreed with the idea. The Force is infinite. Whether one person's drawing from it or a thousand, it doesn't matter.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This. Bane was right about a lot of things, but that wasn't one of them.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That is actually the first time I've ever seen that. Pretty funny for Palpatine.

Sudooku and gracesonnet like this.
  16. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Actually I can't imagine a woman that would suit Darth Sidious or please him to the full. For he is that high above with all his wits and abilities that it might be a kind of boring and annoying for him to spend much time with most people who don't carry out the missions he imposed upon them in a way he wanted them to do or to be enjoyable and to surprise him in other ways to be really interesting or even challenging for him. That is the curse or shall I rather call it bane (?) of being that outstanding and apart in a circle of people palpably inferior to him.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I think he's being misinterpreted. Or prefer to think he is, anyway. :p

The Sith are all about imposing their will on the Force, yeah? Bane's argument isn't, IMO, that the Force/dark side is finite but that if you've got bazillions of people all imposing their will on it, you're inevitably going to dilute its focus. He may well be wrong... but it's not a stupid position to take.

It doesn't matter how infinite the powers of your dog are, it's gonna get confused if it gets conflicting commands from more than one master.

18. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I guess Bane is simply metaphysicising his desire not to share power.

19. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Well, one thing we know he spent time doing was cloning himself...until April 25 that is. :(

20. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think he (or his clones) got the memo.

21. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    I wonder what the fan reaction would be if we found Ian McDiamid was involved....

22. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    He may had more time to attend the shows on the Coruscant Opera, for which he has a subscription since he was the Senator of Naboo in order to make valuable networking.

Actually I found an almost perfect match for Darth Sidious. It is a former friend of mine. I broke friendship with her because she spun to much intrigues. But actually her philosophy and life-style is almost the same as Sidious'.:)

23. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    I think the path of a sith is one with little free time. Aside from the politics of running an empire, the cutthroat sith ideology requires you are always trying to strengthen yourself and watch your back to resist any attempts to usurp your power. Even then, I think Palpatine was more hands on than say, the sith emperor/Vitiate. He delegated some tasks to subordinates, but still did a lot himself.

24. Prophet 49

Prophet 49 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 11, 2014
    Palpatine stated in his own manifesto, Book of Sith, that he was working toward achieving immortality. This requires some immense meditation and skill with the Force, so I assume his free time was spent studying and experimenting with the Dark Side. It's also a fact that he frequently visited Korriban to study and meditate at the tombs of the ancient Sith. This was combined with his search for a new apprentice to replace Vader, whom he would eventually replace and so on and so forth, if he were to actually live forever.

Sudooku and Starkeiller like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I believe it is erroneous to believe he considered himself to have 'free time'.

Lady_Misty and Starkeiller like this.