main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What did the Sand People do with Shmi for a month?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I mean, what the heck was the reason to keep her around? Did they do profane things to her? I hate to think that but what else could be going on?

2. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    She didn't look like she'd been smacked around too much; not enough bruises. Clearly she could not have survived without food and water, so they were expending resources on her, but one does have to wonder why.

Oh those Sand People, I think they were just dolts.

3. wanderer-bkb

wanderer-bkb Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    Maybe they hoped to lure more people into rescuing her so they could ambush them as well.

4. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Anakin came back and freed her from slavery, from a certain point of view.

5. KitFisto15

KitFisto15 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Im sure that they could have done many things to Shmi. But i think that lureing more people in was a very good answer to the question.

6. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    I don't buy the 'luring her in' theory. How would anyone know whether or not she was alive? Cliegg gave up.

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Perhaps they wanted to sell her into slavery? I don't think the movies are totally clear on how sophisticated Tusken Raiders' social structures are, but the EU has humans live as tribe members on a couple of occasions, a sort of honorary thing, so at least in the EU they seem to have some sophistication and advancement. Since we know slavery is around on Tattooine, it seems as logical as anything.

-Paul

8. Jedi_Aero-Stone

Jedi_Aero-Stone Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    My perception is that the Sand People used her as their slave..ie..probably cooking, serving them food, washing their clothes...etc... they obviouslt knocked her around and generally mistreated her when she wasnt fast enough for their liking, etc.. not one time did rape or anything cross my mind..just treating her like a lowley servant..and by the time Anakin arrived, she probably had the last and most severe beating she could endure. Just cause she didnt have bruises VISIBLE doesnt mean she wasnt punched in the gut or had her legs whipped etc...

9. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    So I guess there's no canon info as to what exactly was going on with her?

10. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    "from a certain point of view"

Aaaaagh! why must every Star Wars fan insist on including this line in every thread? lol j/k

11. Lord_Rebel

Lord_Rebel Jedi Master star 1

May 16, 2005
    TrueJedi,

Palpatine had the sand people kidnap and torture Annakins mother so he would sense her pain, destroy those who were hurting her, and be conflicted.

Conflicted not only by his anger towards the people who hurt his mom, but by the inability to save her, and his ability to apparently slaughter woman and children wholesale.

Its unlikely she was actually used for a slave or any other matter. Much like Vader tortures Han in Episode V to bring Luke to Cloud city, Palpatine had Schmi (sp?) tortured over and over again to bring Annakin to her.

The sandpeople were perfect for this cause because they are to stupid to ask the question "why is he asking us to do this and what will happen if someone finds out.." and by using the sandpeople he is able to keep himself out of the equation.

In ROTS when Annakin is again faced with wanting to save someone he loves (Padme), he turns to Palpatine for the power to do so, and Palpatine uses this request to turn Annakin to the dark side.

This is without question what happened.

12. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Didn't they rape her?

13. Lord_Rebel

May 16, 2005
    ^^ I assume that is a poor attempt at a joke. Nowhere that I am aware is it said that Annakins mother is raped by the sandpeople. Further what would the sandpeople want sexually with a Human woman?

Again, she was tortured, slowly, to bring Annakin to save her, thus filling him with hate and anger, basically starting his slide to the dark side.

Also allowing Palpatine the opportunity to turn Padmes tragedy into his gain by offering Annakin a chance to save her (unlike his Mom who Annakin feels he should have been able to save.)

Its not unlikely that Palpatine forsaw the death of Padme.

14. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I assume that is a poor attempt at a joke."

You assume wrong, and it isn't the only thing you are wrong about...

15. Lord_Rebel

May 16, 2005
    ^^ Great, then educate me so I may know what im "wrong" about and correct it.

Thanks.

Oh and dont just tell me im wrong about something and not offer up proof. Please let me know where your correct information is stated in SW Lore.

16. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Do us all a favor and stop posting spoilerific material outside 3SA, thanks.

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Don't worry. That isn't a spoiler. It's a rejected concept from early drafts of ROTS.

I assume Shmi's capture was part of a Tusken tradition known as "blood rites." As definied by information released by the movie creator, blood rites is a practice by which a Tusken hunts down prey, captures them, and then tortures them to death over a long period of time. As far as the AOTC novel goes, it wasn't given much detail (understandably), but she was basicaly starved, whipped and beaten on a daily basis, to the point where she could barely feel the pain after her mind more or less went on a psychological retreat. She was only kept alive by her desire to see Anakin one last time.

Nowhere does it one way or another if Shmi was raped, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the abuse.

18. cmbrown15

cmbrown15 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    You know, what the heck are the Sand People, anyway? Alien creatures with no humanoid qualities? Or humanoids in weird getups? That'd have a lot to do with what Shmi did or didn't endure in AOTC.

I tend to think that the Tusken Raiders kidnapped people all of the time, based on AOTC and ANH, robbing them and luring others into ambushes during rescue attempts. Once ambushed, the Sand People would steal whatever could be found -- landspeeders, weapons, etc. -- and kill those that weren't useful.

19. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>I hate to think that but what else could be going on? <<
    The first 2 weeks was spent deciding which version of Monopoly (Star Wars, Spiderman or LotR), but no decision could be reached so LotR Trivial Pursuit entered into the picture and they've been playing ever since.

20. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Lord Rebel, how do you know that about Palpy having hired these guys? Is this canon info?

21. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    i go with the thought that Palpatine had something to do with Shmi's kidnaping. To me this was a way for her suffering to get to Anikin's subcouncious throght the force. Therefore getting him to go rescue her and in turn learn to unleash his dark side.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    What those dirty old Tuskens did with Shmi for a month is best not dwelt upon!

23. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Just to save this topic from scandal: The Tuskens didn't take Shmi to rape her as they find exposed skin disgusting. Tuskens are humanoid but not near-human. They are genetically incompatible with humans. It doesn't mean they didn't rape her but it is unlikely.

24. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Lord,

Doubtful.

25. Saora_Bin

Saora_Bin Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    1) How could Palpatine contact the Tusken Raiders? If he used the Force, I doubt they would understand him or care.

2) This brings up another point. If Palps did contact the Tusken Raiders, what made them do it? Why would they care?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.