main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What did the Sand People do with Shmi for a month?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoomerSoonerJedi

BoomerSoonerJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Tuskin Raiders always reminded me of some kind of over agressive Bediun's, like in the Saudi Desert. Outside of "regular" society, with their own set of cultural rules, they roam the desert with their own society, and while they can be very helpful to anyone lost in the desert they happen upon, they can also raid the unsuspecting intruder on their "turf".

I always wanted to know exactly what they were though underneath their robes and wraps and stuff.

2. OBIW1KENOZEBI

OBIW1KENOZEBI Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    I seem to recall something along the lines chaotic said, about how Sand people tried to inflict as much pain as possible, to show how "tough" their prey was. The more pain she felt, the easier it was for Anakin to sense.

I'm pretty sure it was from the novelization, which, as I recall, is pretty damn close to cannon. At least it trumps cut scenes.

3. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    re: cmbrown15

I think I remember them looking vaguely catlike in some old concept art books, under the masks. Almost like bothans, actually.

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    this thread pops up every 6months or so.

Its my opinion that rape is implied. Not just because of the way she is bound the logic of keeping her alive for a month, but also because the whole tusken sequence is an homage to John Ford's the searchers, where John Wayne's niece gets captured and raped by indians (back when films were overtly racist) and and he goes in and rescues her, (but also intends to kill her because she is pregnant)

many of the shots in the tusken camp are directly drawn from the searchers, the dogs fighting over the bone, etc.

"Nowhere that I am aware is it said that Annakins mother is raped by the sandpeople."

No explanation is given in any regard. its implied. based on what I said above. its a PG movie, Lucas isn't going to get into the gory details. the point is that she is in distress. this seems the logical conclusion.

"Further what would the sandpeople want sexually with a Human woman?"

Why does my dad's dog hump his leg?

Besides rape is about degradation, more then sex or anything else.

5. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    (back when films were overtly racist)

Actually this film tones down the book significantly. It showed both sides in a poor light.

As for the Shmi remarks, I tend to agree with you, although I hope that sexual violation was not involved. But now with the Youngling slaughter issue in ROTS, Lucas seems capable of adding all sorts of nasty stuff to the PT.

6. 4PadmeNslavewear

4PadmeNslavewear Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    I am sure they did not do anything that Watto didn't do first. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.