main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA what did u think?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedigirl514, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    i thot it was great....even if they took alot of scenes out....I JUST got back and am still in costume...i love it too much too take it off...yeah, someone from here took my pic....I was gonna say something but my shyness over came me! I was the one in the semi-close medow picnic dress....and a girl as a padawan came w/ me...who was that...I wanted to say hi to one of u but i was just to shy! [face_blush]

2. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I assume this post was in reference to this evening's showing of AOTC on the Carnegie's IMAX screen. If not, it is now, baby!

At any rate, I had a marvelous time at the show, though I really wish I hadn't been running wickedly behind schedule, panicky, and feeling like a complete dolt immediately preceeding the show.

As I can tell you're curious, I'll explain...

[Well, to be honest, I just need to vent.]

--------------------------------------
    REWIND THE COSMOS TO NOV. 1, 5:15PM
    --------------------------------------
    I'm leaving my buddy's place, with him in tow, so that we can run over to the theater early to pick up our tickets that Rox was kind enough to set aside for us. I figure it'd be a good time to maybe waltz around, do some schmoozing, and have a good conversation or two before the flick started. That, and I was informed to show up fairly early so that Rox would have enough cash to pay for all the tickets he had reserved. Also, I had told the three other people who I invited that I would be there around 5:45 to pick up the tickets and to hang out and whatnot. We had planned to have everybody meet up at the theater fairly early.

We get in my car and head off.

--------------------
    30 MINUTES LATER
    --------------------
    Because I'm a completely gibbering idiot I make a wrong turn right off the bat. After leaving my buddy's apartment in Oakland, half hour later, we pull right back into Oakland, with me being rather irritated at myself.

No problem. Still have plenty of time left to go. It's only 5:45. My directions say we can be there in 10 minutes. We'll get there right at 6:00, at the worst, right?

Right!

We sally forth...

---------------------------
    ANOTHER 30 MINUTES LATER
    ---------------------------
    It's now 6:30.

At this point we've circled the entire city of Pittsburgh... twice.

I'm starting to freak out because the show starts in fifteen minutes, we're still ten minutes out, and in my rather vividly paranoid writer's imagination, Rox is planning on beating the stuffing out of me when I arrive because he's short 60 bucks for the tickets on hold.

Fortunately, at this point, the science center is in sight. I turn into what I think is the parking lot.

(It's actually just another road that leads nowhere.)

One hasty, invective-laden U-turn later, we're pulling into the ACTUAL parking lot, and parking.

I run like a madman up to the science center, in search of Rox, who I presume still has my tickets, and (I also presume) a decidedly strong desire to kick me in the groin.

----------------------
    ENTER THE OMNIMAX
    ----------------------
    We dash into the entrance, accompanied by the strains of the Star Wars theme song, piped through the center's PA system. Much to my surprise, the foyer is almost entirely devoid of life.

Except for my three other friends who are pretty much totally pissed at me.

Still without tickets, I start (quite literally) running around asking for Rox. (Well, Terry, rather. If I had asked for just "Rox" they probably would have directed me to the parking lot and started throwing them at me. Rocks, that is.)

If this sounds familiar to you, that's probably because you were one of the ones I assaulted in my quest for my tickets. Remember that panicky looking-guy (who is a total hottie, by the way... :D ) wearing the green jacket and propeller hat. *points to self*

Me.

At any rate, for some reason, the one man in the world who I needed most at the moment was MIA. Nobody seemed to know where the hell Rox was.

Eventually, I get pointed in the right direction, I assault Rox himself, who informs me that there wasn't any need to have tickets on reserve as there would be plenty for the show.

On the bonus side, he wasn't pissed, I didn't owe him money, and he didn't kick me in the junk. Most excellent.

On the down side, I still didn't have my tickets and the movie starts in 5 minutes.

I run right the hell back up the steps and inform my lackies that we still needed to bu

3. Lando_Da_Pimp

Lando_Da_Pimp Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I enjoyed it. We had pretty crappy seats but it was good. The movie didn't flow right in some parts. It is definatley a new way to watch the movie.

How many of you noticed that everybody's skin deformities. Except for Natalie. She has perfect skin. Everytime OB1 was on the screen I couldn't take my eyes off this bump of skin on his forehead. Oh well. Natalie 4 stories tall was great!!!

Thats what is great about watching the movie this way. the details. I loved the jawa sandcrawler part you cold see all of the jawa activity. Just stuff like that made it worth it.

I was at the 9:00 showing. I don't know what any of you look like so I have no clue who was who. I figured that most of you were the ones in costume.

Great time.

4. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    I was at the 9:00 one too...wasn't helping tho...my neighbor was freaking out because there wern't many people in costume....I really wanna know who was who!

5. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Where is the best place to sit in the theatre for a viewing? I was there two years ago and had a terrible seat.

6. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Now that I've sufficiently ranted about my evening, I should probably discuss the film itself in more detail.

*ahem*

As Lando noted, it does feel like a completely different movie. It seems to move significantly faster, especially in the front half of the film. Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but a number of scenes they axed are almost better off not being there.

A few key examples of this are the scene in the library with Obi, and the scene in the Nabooian hills with Anakin and Padme. Looking back, they don't really need to be there. Neither really add that much to the overall scheme of things, and without them, the movie trucks right along at a breakneck pace.

There was a few things I wish they hadn't cut down, though. Like the confrontation between imprisoned Obi and Dooku on Geonosis. That works better in its full form; the trimmed form in the IMAX version isn't quite so satisfying.

I also find it kind of amusing that they took away every single speaking line for Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa). Poor guy. Leaves NYPD Blue to become a huge movie star. Fails. Ends up in Star Wars. Can brag to all his friends. Then gets almost completely cut out of the IMAX version. *tsk tsk*

As Lando also noted, the level of detail is staggering. The amount of stuff you can see now is mind-boggling.

I don't know what it is, but there's also something distinctly satisfying about going to a movie and being forced to watch it like a tennis match.

*turn head left to watch Anakin slash a droid*
    *turn head right to see Mace slash a droid*
    *turn head left to see Obi fight monster*
    *turn head right to see Padme shoot stuff*

Good stuff! (Even if it does result in a headache and stiff neck the next day.)

So, in summary, if you haven't done so already, go see this movie on IMAX. You'll be glad you did.

Back and to the right,
    Yours Truly

7. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

In regards to seating, I don't know where Lando was sitting, but me and my lackies were a few rows back behind the projector and a little to the right.

From this spot, you could have the dome just about fill your entire perspective, basically filling your entire range of vision with Hot Clone Action.

If I had my choice, though, I think I would have preferred to be a bit lower, such that I'd be more or less completely surrounded by the dome, without any peripherals like the walls, or the seats below, infringing upon my view.

As it was, I was pleased with my seat for my first viewing. Next time I'm getting there way earlier so that I can actually pick where I want to sit.

Hope this is helpful. Do with this information what you will.

Spreadin' the word,
    Yours Truly

8. 1Bobafett14

1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey, just wanted to throw a quick shout out to everyone there last night on a job well done! Great job. How bout a big Woo Hoo! on a 9:00 sell out! You had some nice comments from some of the guys on your insert cards that were in the Bantha tracks magazine.

Great to see fans from all over, the 501st looked great (as always)

It was a fun night, I didn't even get to talk to everyone from the pswcs-we were scattered about, I had 12 in my group + 2 that met us before for dinner, and there were a few others scattered throught the crowd. A few hit the 6:45 show. Had some folks from State College, and Indinana PA make the trip downtown as well. Some stopped by my place on the way home to check out the 3,000+ peice collection. Fun evening! Great movie.

High points were that all the right scenes were cut from the movie. The 1st person scenes, battle scenes, and the opening scene were spectacular! The sound was breathtaking!

Low points-some scenes were hard to follow in the IMAX format, and while some scenes were as sharp and crisp as can be, some scenes seemed to be blurry and out of focus. All in all, a great evening was had by everyone.

9. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    The best place to sit is right in front of the projector.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Another great night. We raised some cash for charity and the 4:30, 6:45 and 9:00 shows all soldout! I don;t know abot the 11:00 how becasue I left but they had a decent line when we left around 9:30.

11. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Glad to hear about the charity. I looked for the "introduce yourself" thread to bump it up for anew people, but couldn't find it.

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    The Welcome New USers thread is in the header. Isn't that the one you are looking for?

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Oh. Yeah I knew that... just making sure that you did!

14. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    What can I say except that was one of the best things I have seen in my life. I literally walked out of the 6:45 showing with a big stinking grin on my face (ask my master or anyone else there at that time) and I was unable to even do my times tables-
    7*8 apparently was not 54. ;)
    My only complaints are that some of the scenes were completely too hard for me to follow- I looked left, right, left, and couldn't keep up on some of the action. The other complaint, of course, is the number of cut scenes.
    Otherwise, I did have that very big grin on my face for a very big reason.
    50 foot Yodas are your friends. Everyone should have one. ^_^

15. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I had such a great time (even if I did fall asleep at the 11:15 PM showing on Sat night. Thanks to my Padawan for waking me up so I could watch the Obi and fight scenes)

I remember the guy in the propeller hat, not only because I was watching him scramble around all over the lobby, but also because of the hat . . . Glad you got to see the whole movie despite all your difficulties!

Although cutting any scene is a sad thing, the only one I really really missed was the one between Obi & Dooku. And I think I would have liked the meadow scene included too. I liked the bit when young Anakin discusses politics with Padme . . .

And it was so cool being able to see all the tiny details in all the scenes . . .

16. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I wonder if the science center will get Apollo 13 now? There have got be be some pretty cool space shots watching that movie on the IMAX screen.

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    "I had such a great time (even if I did fall asleep at the 11:15 PM showing on Sat night. Thanks to my Padawan for waking me up so I could watch the Obi and fight scenes)"

Now do you see why I always fall asleep at the movies? It's the best place to take a nap.

18. Mara-hari

Mara-hari Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Hey Jedigirl514! I'm pretty sure I saw you there in costume when I was doing crowd control in the main lobby - I was dressed as a Jedi (like that really helps you out). Was the girl you were standing with wearing white - a sort of karate outfit? I was going to take your pictures but got distracted for some reason.

Anyway, I had a blast down there with you guys. What an awesome weekend! And the movie was great on the BIG screen. However, as a few of you already noted, some of the action scenes were hard to follow because of the size/speed ratio. The background detail was amazing. I noticed that Ewan has pierced ears (or at least one) Not that I didn't really know that before, but I never noticed it.

I hope we got some decent publicity and maybe get asked to do more events - any excuse to dress up and carry around that lightsaber!

19. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    yeah! that was me!

20. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought it was AWSOME! Plus the looks the little kids kept giving me in my TIE armor were just soo cool even if some of them didn't know what I was supposed to be

21. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Indeed,it was MUCH fun!My thanks again go to my apprentice for holding our groups seats for our Sat. @ 6:45 showing.My only dissapointment....not getting to meet Lando,ben ethus,Jedigirl514,etc.Are "yinz" comin' to the DVD party?Hope so...

22. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I was hoping to meet some of you folks who post but haven't yet made it to a meeting.

BTW I was the Emperor

Here is the list of people who were there, worked, dressed up and who they were dressed up as:

Terry/Rox: Fighter Pilot
    Me as mentioned:The Emperor
    Tom/Corran: Tie Pilot
    Tom/ Noble Kale: Crimson/Royal Guard
    Joe/ Crimson Knight: Crimson/Royal Guard
    Chad/Darth Dahc: Sith Apprentice
    Vern/Pandora Maul: Sith Apprentice

The following people were dressed as Jedi:
    Tony/ Jedi_1966
    Carrie/Mrs_Jedi_1966
    Chris/Greencat
    Chris Zerocool (Blue Jedi, very cool)
    Stacie/Chris-Stacina_Rajinn
    Tina/Stina-Cri
    Whitney/Saberpilot
    Heidi/Mari Hari
    Caleb/Calmo Chind
    Chad's girlfriend (although, I think she was more Sithly than Jedi, IMHO). Sorry i can't remember her name Chad.

Also we had two other representatives from the 501st as stormtroopers and my friend and fellow collector Joby as a great Sandtrooper.

If I forgot anyone from the list please forgive me, let me know and I'll edit you in. I'm old and trying to work from memory. ha ha ha

23. Lando_Da_Pimp

Lando_Da_Pimp Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Well I would have said hi if i knew what any of you look like.

I was wearing a Penguins jersey if that helps. Maybe we should start a tread of post a picture or something.

LDP

24. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Well, if you check my bio you'll see my zoned out picture from school digital pictures..
    Blahh.. I look sooo happy.
    or, here's the addy:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/whitneyr/images/whitney.gif

25. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    it depends on where everyone is going for the DVD thing...I may be able to convince my mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.