main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you notice in the home video version that you missed in the theatres?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Silent Android, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Now that I have the Blu-ray, I'm not inclined to go back to the theater just to see if his clothing is beige or greenish. On the Blu-ray, it's the middle and right side of Unkar's shirt, his right, that are green-tinged, and even some of his headpiece, I think, while the left side of his shirt is primarily beige. I'm wondering if the color was altered for the home edition, or maybe I was just brainwashed into thinking he was wearing beige clothing because of the Comic-Con reel, and my eyes were focused on Unkar's face while watching it in the theater.

2. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    My vote is on the last option you stated. I know I personally didn't look that closely at what he was wearing.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    After Han's fall, just before we see Leia's reaction, Kylo's eyes widen slightly, as though he is suddenly struck with emotion or realization. The cutaway to Leia at that exact moment emphasizes their connection.
    I didn't see that in the theater!

4. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    It's probably the latter, but then I see something like this video, where the figure's clothing appears to be greenish on the side Unkar's clothing is greenish on the Blu-ray, while my Unkar figure has no trace of green tint. Is this a possible color and production variant, where some figures were produced beige to match the clothing coloring in the theater, and then figure production switched to match the clothing coloring in the home release? It's mostly Unkar's right shoulder and chest that looks greenish, matching what seems to be what I perceive to be the change in the home edition.
    Has anyone seen an Unkar figure that has this greenish tint on the clothing, or is this just a case of odd lighting that peculiarly alters Unkar's right side to be greenish, while maintaining beige on his left side? Jump to the 1:35 mark. The color difference makes me think production change (toy side), and now I'm really curious if it's reflecting a color change from theater to home edition.

DL44Jo likes this.
  5. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    What did I notice was when I saw it at the cinema it was with 40 plus people this time it was just me.

-Jedi Joe- and DL44Jo like this.
  6. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    I just watched this LEGO The Force Awakens short film, and Unkar's clothing is beige, without a hint of green, the same way I remember it in the theater. I'm thinking this LEGO short was produced prior to the home version of The Force Awakens, where I feel Unkar's clothing had green added to it, along with, seemingly, some batches of the action figure. The animators of the LEGO short were possibly not told about the color change, which could explain why the coloring is more like the theater version.

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Never noticed the bells tolling in the background right before the First Order attacked the village...saw the movie at the theater like ten times, too.

8. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    "Home video'''. That makes it sound like you are talking about the VHS version or something:p

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I found out it's the cast of TFA I really like, not the characters they play.

FN-007 was an inside agent.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there is no "force bass" between kylo and finn.

when rey leaves the sd on her speeder there's a tie, it's wing and a black tie pilot's helmet on the ground.

when sh's scrubbing and the robo alien makes the noise, the one next to it's eye holes rotate.

interrogator droid complete with noise.

small white fo "vacuum" droids.

the ground burps after it swallows the tie (i knew this but it's fun to point out).

inside the ssd there's a small gap they have to fit through that looks like the ds 2 part that ripped off the satellite dish in rotj.

esb gas masks on the side of a cabinet.

bb-8 finally shows finn which part.

after the power goes out you can see luke's "blast shield" helmet hanging next to a lighted terminal

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    guavian death gang android sounds.

kanjiklub member you can barely see in the back has unused knight of ren costume with the giant hat.

rathtars are boulders from indiana jones (obviously). han does an indy punch with sound effect. one of the rathtars tentacles is and indy whip sound.

snoke's hologram mount has lights and displays on the side. there's also a circle of "office chairs" like a conference room. the sides of the chamber along with most of the base are carved out of rock.

snoke's chair is also a hologram.

more later...

12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The presentation. Saw the show at a decent theater, or so I thought. The volume was on overkill. So loud that the dynamic range seemed not to exist. Projection quality and theater ambient light also disrupted the presentation.

I have a higher end sony set with almost reference quality color reproduction. I enjoyed seeing it more on a 40inch screen than on the big theater one.

13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    the blue map scene takes place in the same spot on the falcon where luke trained with the remote. finn at the chessboard and rey in han's seat/where obi sits after alderaan blows.

rey stops and feels the air of takodana.

at maz's bar where the mosquito aliens are there's an ig-88 head lamp.

maz speaking in huttese. something like, "han, you place is not here."

some kind of alien on a spit.

"take care of yourself."

bespin wind noises after the vision is over. when maz is talking.

sidon ithano's ship.

maz's statue gets crushed.

poe shoots down 10 ties and some troops in a row.

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  14. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    For some reason, I had missed the wide shot of the Jakku village when the shuttle is (I think) landing ... you can see how small the place is then.

Heaps of other things too ..

15. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I just realized that Rey (duh! I know but it sometime it happens with me [face_blush] ), whispers Luke Skywalker's name when Finn says that BB8 has a map that leads to him.

Han tells Chewie that he should have doubled checked the Western region, probably because Han has been looking for the Falcon for ages it seems.

When the electrical overload on the Falcon happens, as Rey immediately opens the suspected compartement where the sparks come out initially, when she recommends transferring auxiliary the power to the secondary tank, she moves her fingers as if they are walking. (I must add it really a cute moment) . :D

Oh and when Han remarks "Fugitives huh?" I now realize Ford did the remake of the "Fugitive". He he.

MJ

16. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    That Kylo Ren's relationship with Darth Vader is the opposite to that of Snoke. When he reaches out to Vader/Anakin it is light-side of the force oriented. This scene gives depth and envelops Vader's "mediation" chamber in Empire Strikes Back.

I strongly feel that the film is showing the jedi-to-spirit relationship from an outside perspective. I believe this will be revealed in the trilogy with either Anakin, or Han, appearing as a spirit.

17. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I realized how much Kylo was dominating initially in the lightsaber fight between him and Rey. Had he not let his guard down when he offered to train her, he would have won that duel handily.

Going off that train, Rey isn't skilled as much as she is adaptive. For instance, when she starts flying the Falcon, she is atrocious at it, dragging it on the ground and knocking fixtures over. However, she recovers well and stumbles her way out of a pursuit with two TIE fighters. This is a common pattern that occurs multiple times in the film: Rey starts out at an inferior level to her enemies, but she maintains well enough to survive and adapts to overcome. This repeats when Kylo reads her mind (and vice versa), when she uses a blaster, and ultimately in the previously-mentioned lightsaber duel. Rey is not the Mary Sue who happens to be good at everything, her connection to the Force allows her to analyze her enemies' tactics and use those against them. She's a "mimic" in a way. I didn't connect those dots in the theatrical viewings, but I noticed it on the home release and I found it fascinating.

On a more shallow note: I noticed that Han says "Move, ball!" to BB-8 after Rey bypassed the compressor.

18. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    There is a VHS version! Its made for airplanes that use old tech!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

In the VHS version, Han shoots Kylo first :)

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I noticed something in the initial scenes that escaped me in my one and only theater viewing. Lor San Tekka knows Ben Solo quite well. Well enough that he sees the robed and masked Kylo Ren and knows that the man beneath the concealing headgear is Ben Solo. As he is not Force-sensitive, Tekka must have learned of Solo's fall to the Dark Side and his new identity of Kylo Ren. Given the small number of people who knew about Ben's fall, San Tekka must have been close to Luke Skywalker or to the Solo family. It makes Ren's murder of the old man that much worse, as he is effectively murdering a family friend.

21. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I noticed Rey gets into her ATAT home through the same (or at least a similar) hatch that Luke throws the granade through in TESB

22. Lobot_the_Jedi

Lobot_the_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 30, 2002
    I'm sitting here watching the film on DVD while reading this thread. I'm at the point just after the force vision where Maz is talking to Rey.

Maz states "Close your eyes... feel it... the light... it's always been there. It will guide you".

It now makes a (bit) more sense that when 1) Rey is held captive in the chair and closes her eyes and concentrates and makes the Stormtrooper release her/drop his weapon and 2) Closes her eyes and reaches out to the force while fighting Kylo she's able to hold fend him off/get the upper hand.

True, these were still long shots but, I didn't realize Maz instructed her to "close her eyes... feel it...." (the force) beforehand.

Makes a little more sense how she was able to use the force. Maz sorta instructed her.

23. Lobot_the_Jedi

Lobot_the_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 30, 2002
    Also, didn't realize it was Rey's screaming "no... no... come back..." as a child that led her to the basement of Maz's Cantina.
    Thanks subtitles. Didn't hear that in the movie theater.

24. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Not a first notice but a first connection. Vader was wont to use the term "wise". Someone is "wise" or "unwise" (as in "it is unwise to lower your defenses, etc.") I love Vader talk and especially his use of the "wise" and "disturbing" variations. Kylo uses "wise" on the bridge when confronting Han, referring to Snoke. "No. The Supreme Leader is wise."

Maybe a stretch but as littered with "wise" variations as the OT is, it just popped out for me.

25. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I noticed how there is just as much prequel trilogy I influence as OT influence. Aesthetically it is a mixture of the two.

The faults of the film are Disney's push for a closer resemblance to the ot. It doesn't all add up. The enemy is new. Said enemy denounces the past Empire in ways yet they adopt the same design philosophy? Stormtroopers? Why stormtroopers? Why the same design if they are different? If they are so superior why were they made to move in such a similar way?

Hans wardrobe?