main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What did you think of ATTACK OF THE CLONES?

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Clockwork, May 20, 2002.

?

What did you think of ATTACK OF THE CLONES?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. It was a religious experience that changed my life forever.

5.6%
  2. It was the best Star Wars movie ever. I'll see it again and again...

72.2%
  3. At least it was better than Phantom Menace...

22.2%
  4. It wasn't that great.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. George Lucas is a !@#$% crook. I want my money back.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clockwork

Clockwork Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2002
  2. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    now who's gonna choose the last one? ;)

I plan on seeing it over and over. maybe say, 50 times? :p

no really, it was the second best yet. Only behind ROTJ

3. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    yeah, ROTJ was better so I'll pick the 3rd one. It was better than Phantom Menace but it wasn't that great. Jango is advertised all over but barely did anything except mop the floor with a Jedi Knight and Killing a Jedi Council Member.... that's it. Not too exciting. And Count Dooku??? wtf? We watch almost 2 hours with no Dooku and BAM, he talks to the unions, to obi wan, short scene w/ Mace and then the battle. About as much screen time as Darth Maul if not less. The clones were the selling point for me. I loved them. They weren't invincible but they were definitely butt kickers lol. Two things I was really looking forward to and was let down completely was Jango's death and Yoda's saber fight. Jango's death was as crappy as Boba's in ROTJ. Short, quick, it wasn't even a fight. Yoda's saber fight was just flat out ridiculous. The best part was when he pulled it from his belt using the force, that was awesome. Him flipping around and screaming was just flat out funny. Still a great movie despite my let downs. Bring on EpIII already, man!

4. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    I think if you took out all the silly Threepio jokes during the final battle, it would be far and away the best Star Wars film. As it is I place it right behind Empire...

5. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Empire is great, but I think this one does a better job of building up for the finale. Overall, I would say it's a tie.

6. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    Overall I would agree, but Empire has honest humor in it (mainly in the scenes between Han and Leia at the base and later aboard the Falcon, and Lando's greeting when they first arrive at Cloud City), whereas AOTC too often resorts to silly jokes (Threepio's endless series of one-liners during the arena battle). That pushes Empire into the lead for me.

Don't get me wrong, AOTC had some great humorous moments too, notably the dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan during the speeder chase ("I couldn't find a speeder I really liked...").

7. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    empire was always my favorite- with yoda & the big duel at the end. this one tops it on both counts- yoda is cooler than ever & the fights kick butt. this is my new #1. i agree that the fetts get more press than action. maybe E3 will give us a kick-butt teenage Boba- its a tough sell, but Im open.
    i was a little disapointed after my 2nd viewing, but after my 3rd i realized that evrything i was hoping was unrealistic & not really related to the story. We have to remember that he's telling a story that was basically made up years ago. yes, the details are just being decided. but his main focus is to tell the story, not make Mace the newest action hero- or Jango for that matter.------Yoda, maybe- but thats cool with me! he is the top Jedi after all.

8. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    It was the best SW yet, but it could have rocked even more if.......LOL!!!!

JediGuy16....Bravo....have ya'll seen the flic yet?!

9. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Humor-I liked the stuff in the arena before the battle starts (you're right way too much 3P0), also between Anakin & Obi. Much of the humor comes from Obi's wit in AotC. Which makes his admonition of Anakin during the speeder chase that much more funny.

If you put as much into your lightsaber training as your wit, you would certainly rival Master Yoda. (I'm sure I messed up the quote).

10. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I'd have to rate it up there with ESB as a tie. Amidala & Anakin entering the arena was a close second to Leia and Han in the carbonite chamber. A key point that a lot of Jango/Boba fans seem to be missing, is that the movies are not about them. They are supporting characters and nothing more. Sure, they wear cool armor and have cool toys, but their purpose is little more than superfluous filler. Jango shows us what Obi Wan is capable of, and little more. That is his sole reason for his existence. Mace Windu then dispatches him with relative ease, to prove what a supreme bad-@$$ MoFo he is. Darth Maul was a prime example of this in TPM. He was a kick-@$$ character who ultimately got his @$$ kicked. He killed Qui Gon, Obi Wan killed him. End of character, end of purpose. The movie is not about Dooku either, and to have brought him into the movie earlier would only have served to undermine the significance of his appearances later. We all know that Yoda is digital now, just as we all knew he was a Muppet before. No amount of digital wizardry is going to convince any of us otherwise. All that being said though, Yoda still shows us why he is the Master. This is a fantasy film, and Yoda illustrates that. It is also a story of Good vs. Evil and the power of love. Sometimes good wins and sometimes evil wins. We all know the end of the story, but it is now the journey that Lucas has the pleasure of feeding us for the next three years. I for one, cannot wait until everything pans out in Episode III. If you want Citizen Kane, then I suggest you visit some of these links:

http://www.filmsite.org/citi.html

http://cinepad.com/reviews/kane.htm

http://www.pathfinder.com/photo/essay/kane/toland.htm

http://www.bway.net/~nipper/home.html

http://members.tripod.com/~movie_pal/welles.html

http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/conversations/Wise/wise-con02.html

http://venus.aros.net/~respect/citizenkane.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/kane2/kane2ts.html

Otherwise, sit back, shut up and enjoy the ride.

11. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    one more fett reminder- Boba wasnt even really a character to begin with. he was just an element of danger they were adding to Han. I read that a long time ago & i dont know where but Boba was only in ROTJ cause people liked him in ESB so much.
    i mean- i dig the fetts- when i started collecting i only bought Boba stuff- but all they are is villans & not even Sith or Jedi- so how cool can they be on film- they can only do so much.hey - at least we finally got to see someone fire the rocket pack!the jets and the missle!that was COOL!

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Here, here. Well said, SS.

13. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    yeah, the Fetts are cool because they don't use that stupid force or fight with lightsabers. They have gadgets and they're almost like robots. That's what makes them so awesome. They're going to have something happen with Boba in EP3. If not, I'm going to be extremely pissed off. How can you end the scene of Boba with his father's helmet and then nothing until Ep5? Lame if you ask me. Bleh, i need to stop looking too much into the movies because the more i do, the more i realize how stupid they really are.

14. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Last time I checked JO, these boards are all about celebrating our mutual connection and fascination with these 'stupid' movies. Sure they all have their faults, but for each of us, the perspective is a unique and wonderful one. Our diversity is what makes these boards prosper and thrive, and also what feeds our further appreciation as fans. May I suggest you try the boards over at IAmABigDowner.com, I am sure you will find all sorts of threads there to your liking.

15. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
  16. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Anytime. At last JO has found a place to call home...

(Edit: in response to JO's edit) JO...tsk..tsk...tsk...you disappoint me.

17. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    LOLOLOL!!!! Oh...JO.....there's still too much of Jango's shoulder showin' on yur icon, bro.....LOLOL....GASP....Hack....CHoke.....heart, givin'...out.....too much laughin'.....

18. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
  19. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    But you have to admit, JO does have a point. No, I'm not saying the movies are stupid, they're far from it. But I've found that the more I look at reviews that point out the bad points in the movie, the more I look for them, and I end up going more by the few negative points than by the many positive. That's why I try to stay away from the bad reviews. Just something to think about...

*SB*

20. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Wisdom from the Grey One......

Critics = singular critical perspective(and it's usually only percieved by them!)

21. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Yeah, so what if I think a lot of parts of EpII suck? I'm a single person. And the last time I had checked, this is where fans talked about all aspects of anything star wars. Just because this is a Star Wars board, we should just love and accept everything that's in the movies? No. And if someone is going to ridicule me because I didn't think the movie was that great, they're truly sad. I didn't know this was a communist board. I guess it is lmao

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I admit there were some bad parts and others were totally awsome! And when I see the bad, it helps me to develop my own writing. I still love the story, but some parts... well, like Natalie's acting was really stiff and forced in the love scenes. Obi-wan overused 'young Padawan' too much. Mace didn't seem to do that much butt kicking. Anakin didn't really have much motivation for being so obsessed with Padme... however there are always exceptions with that kind of thing...

But then I think about the good, and they by far cancell out the bad. The costumes were absolutly amazing! The sound was terrific. The graphics were mind-blowing. The new ships were cool. The lightsaber fights..wow. And one word: YODA. I can name all kinds of things that were good about the story, but the only bad things were flaws in the way Lucas wrote the script. Hey, it takes alot to make a star wars movie suck, and just the script won't do it.

23. JediCodogg

JediCodogg Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Dont a get me wrong though i really liked the movie defineatly one of the best movies ever made...But...i do not think that it was the best sw movie also i think for the three years they made me wait for the movie they could have done a little better (i hate to say that it almost let me down and became a dissapointment) ...i dunno maybe its just i hold my star wars movies to such a high standard

(but if u thought that ep 2 was a bad show u dont have a pulse!!!)...(i just think they cudda made it even better)

but how bout that yoda dude though!!!!...AWSOME!!!!

24. Jedi_Nova

Jedi_Nova Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2001
    I hate to say it but I have to go with JO on this one. It is a good movie and far surpasses Phantom Menace, but it still does not compare with the first 3. I would have to put in in my top 3 just squeaking by ANH behind ROTJ and ESB.

One thing that bugs me is how people are pointing out the simularaties between this move and ESB. As cool as they are, lets step back and think about it......

Do we really wanna see the OT rehashed with new people? I certianly do not! It just shows to me that George has no new ideas. And further proves my point that the only reason George is doing these moves is because he is having a mid-life crisis.

Some things I FEEL could have mad AOTC better....

Leave out the entire Boba Fett/Jango Fett plot line. This could have easily been a totally new character, WITH NO KID! I know there are a lot of Fett lovers out there ......

3P0s one liners, maybe 1 or 2 but come on it was tired before it got started...

The writting still needed work. Mrs. Nova asked me if George was spotted hanging out in sleazy night clubs writting down the worse pick up lines he heard for Anakins dialogue.

So just a couple things and the parts I love FAR FAR out number them. After a slow start I found myself really enjoying this flick! I havent cheered out loud at a movie in a long time!

25. JediCodogg

JediCodogg Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    i can't believe u guys didnt like TPM
    though!!!

i mean i know that u dont think it sucked or anything but i thought it was one of the best sw movies (between TPM and ROTJ)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.