main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What did you think the Clone Wars were going to be before you saw the prequels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ackbar's Fishsticks, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm reading the Thrawn trilogy again and noticing some of the little things in there that were invalidated by the prequels (like the notion that the clones in the Clone Wars were fighting against the Republic).

It just made me wonder... how did all of y'all imagine the Clone Wars back before we saw it on film? I didn't discover Star Wars until the same year Episode I came out so I didn't have a lot of time to wonder about it. The only theory I had was that the Mandalorians would be the villains, but that was just because they released an early pic of Jango Fett before explaining who he was.

How about you? Especially those of you who were there when this was first mentioned back in 1977?

2. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I thought it had something to do with jedis being cloned or something

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Mandalorians versus Jedi

I appreciate that this Nov/Dec 1997 Cinescape magazine accurately got Jango Fett's color scheme down five years ahead of time.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the Jedi would be fighting the clones as well. And the Mandalorians would be involved.

And Obi-Wan and Anakin would serve directly under Bail Organa.

fett 4 and Sable_Hart like this.
  5. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Sounds like the premise of the mother of all slash fics.

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell. [face_laugh] Not exactly what I had in mind, and my mind has been known to go some interesting places...

Sable_Hart likes this.
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Jedi Knights vs clone Mandalorians

...well, that's how it ended, anyway, so not too shabby.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The Mandalorian Wars should have been the Clone Wars. An army of invading Mandos, the Jedi refusing to step in, a rogue group of Revanchists led by a guy named Obi-Wan defying the council... the war should have started before Episode I. The Mandos are pretty oversaturated now, but in 1999 they hadn't really come into play at all. I didn't know what the Clone Wars would be, but I thought for sure they would involve the Mandos.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Obi-Wan defying the council? Wouldn't that work better with Anakin?

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    "Was I any different when you taught me?"

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always appreciated that.

But more pointedly, Revan falls to the dark side, so it seems a bit more appropriate that Anakin would hold that role rather than Obi-Wan.

Jedi Merkurian and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. BedlamSpirit

BedlamSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2011
    I thought the clones would be some kind of ugly monsters from space controlled by some Dark Side wizard, like Lord of the Rings.

And either:

1) The Emperor in ROTJ was a dictator that DID NOT controlled the clone wars and was geniunelly threatened by the Dark Lord but saw a chance to gain power when he saw the Republic was winning and Jedi were weakened in the war, convinced Vader to seize control and became the new Dark Lord.

2) The evil Dark Side wizard was the Rmperor from ROTJ who abolished the Old Republic by conquering it with his clones and then just crowned himself Emperor.

So to make the long short, I thought the Clone Wars were wars between the Jedi and Republic soldiers and some Dark Side abominations (Clones) created by some Sauron-like being. Also I never expected the Jedi to be an entire army, I expected them to be like a band of 10 or 20 heroes. This to me made more sense, because the OT implied The Force could be harnessed infinitely (size matters not, it is different only in your mind, the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant) and as such a single powerful Force User (like Luke) had the potential to be a threat to a whole Galactic Empire. As such I expected the Jedi to be like some 10 elite heroes of light vs an evil Dark Lord who harnessed the Dark Side to its fullest potential.

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They aren't? o_O

14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Bingo. Obi-Wan's leading the Revanchists with his sidekick Anakin as his #2. His greatest failure is that he was too close to the dark to stop Anakin from sliding all the way into it. Obi-Wan stopped himself from going too far but was too late to save his best friend.

And no stupid Sith Emperor retcon.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In I, Jedi Corran says "Luke went over to save the Galaxy. I imagine Darth Vader did something pretty similar."

Anakin going over for a bit more idealistic reasons than what we got, was what I imagined.

16. BedlamSpirit

BedlamSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2011
    Considering how the Emperor called Vader "My Friend" when I thought Clones Were like Space Orcs created by a Dark Side wizard or something that attacked the Republic, actually I imagined something similar to Luke regarding Vader.

That the Emperor and Vader were close friends and like Luke he had to choose between losing his friend(s) (or friend) and go to the Dark Side, then the Emperor got crowned and Vader became his second in command. Albeit I could never make up the idea if the Emperor was the original Dark Lord and conquered the Republic through military might or if he was an important figure in the Republic that took advantadge of the war.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't remember what I thought the Clone Wars were. Just that they involved clones.

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I got the AotC sticker book when I was 10, so...

No, I didn't move your cheese.

19. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I thought the clones would be the bad guys in the Clone Wars right up until the point that Yoda showed up in a gunship full of clones. This was the depth of my conviction that the clones were the villains.

BigAl6ft6 and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    for awhile I thought they were called the "cologne wars" which didn't make much sense so really I didn't know what to think.

CaptainPeabody and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In 1999 I once got into a debate with a guy who was convinced they said "Colony wars" and not "Clone Wars" in Ep. 4. I'm not even kidding. He was convinced it wasn't "Clone". It was weird.

22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Clone uprising against the Republic

That being said, the multimedia project was an excellent way to flesh the war out, and there were indeed clone uprisings of a sort. I appreciate them taking the time to make canon still fit my childhood vision.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I got mine too!

A human bounty hunter, Fett was known for his extremely ruthless methods. He was dressed in a weapon-covered, armored spacesuit, the kind worn by a group of evil warriors defeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars.
    [​IMG]

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I was hoping to perhaps see these:

[​IMG]

A Mandalorian dungeon ship used for transporting Jedi in the Clone Wars.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that was a really cool looking ship design.

I think my earliest impression of the Clone Wars was from Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, and that the Jedi would have been more... how to put it, martial, kind of like elite troops, but enlightened and civilized and all that, a part of the Republic. Tales of the Jedi probably influenced the image of the pre-Dark Times Jedi too. Not to mention the idea that clones would be quick cannon fodder, even if it takes a year to grow them mostly stable, that's still far faster than normal troops. And that the clones would be the enemy the Republic fought against, with the navy and army and whatever.

Of course what we got instead was very different. The Republic having no army, and the clone troopers instead being a case of quality over sheer quantity of droid armies, with the Jedi as reclusive partly hated warrior monks.

As well as the image of Vader as a fallen hero, but instead we got whiny Anakin. Although certain stories have sort of retconned certain details, such as Anakin flying that old spice freighter around in the TCW cartoon, or there was a comic arc where the Confederacy tried growing their own Nikto clones.

And they retconned the Noghri homeworld disaster from just a ship crashing onto a planet and wrecking the environment to that ship carrying a deadly poison that was meant to be deployed against the Republic or something like that.

Don't think any of the earlier works mentioned Palpatine controlling both sides, but most early EU works did know Palpatine was probably manipulating a lot of events, going from Senator to Emperor Palpatine (since the title of Supreme Chancellor hadn't been introduced yet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.