main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What did you think the clones were before AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by dolphin, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    It never really crossed my mind before AOTC that the stormtroopers are clones of each other. Surprising I know. With that in mind I never really considered who the clones were. Yourselves?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    With the entire extent of my information being obtained from the "Clone War" trailer and tiny snippets I heard, I had this weird idea that it was an army of Palpatine clones. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion. :p

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I thought there would be cloned Sith. After all, wouldn´t that be the most effective weapon against Jedi?
    I never imagined they would fight alongside the Jedi, though.

4. pedron

pedron Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2003
    i had heard that the clones were mandalorians, like the people boba fett got his armor from, and i always assumed that it would be the mandalorians against the jedi in the clone wars, not the other way around. i thought most of the jedi had been killed in the clone wars....which seems ridiculous now... =)

5. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "I had heard that the clones were mandalorians, like the people boba fett got his armor from, and i always assumed that it would be the mandalorians against the jedi in the clone wars, not the other way around."-Pedron

Yeah me too.

"I thought most of the jedi had been killed in the clone wars....which seems ridiculous now..."-Pedron

How so? A robot shooting you is more ridiculous than a clone in white plastic armor shooting you? Isn't it the point that either way you're dead not which scifi cliche did the shooting?
    And yes the majority of the Jedi are supposed to die fighting the seperatists' droid army in the clone war, I fail to see what's so ridiculous about it.

6. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I always thought it would be Jedi vs. Jedi clones.

I thought that Anakin's mother would be killed by the Jedi clones, but Anakin would blame the real Jedi, and turning himself into Darth Vader.

7. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I had some kind of image of cloned jedi fighting their originals... Don't know why I thought that. I like that we got to see the origins of the Stormtroopers. I hope they're made out to be much tougher than droids in Episode 3... seeing as how they'll kill off the remaining Jedi. Don't tell me it's going to be all Anakin/Vader. No way one man will take out the Jedi solo... He'll have backup... stormtroopers.

8. Ma-shughe

Ma-shughe Jedi Master star 1

Oct 31, 2003
    I wasn't under the impression that the Stormtroppers were clones, although I had many discussions with my friends as to whether or not the Stormtroppers were "robots." We kindof disproved that theory in that they didn't move like robots (along the C-3PO line) and the fact that Han Solo was once at the Imperial Academy ... so there were "humans" working for the Empire and there were probably some under the white armor of a Stormtropper, etc, etc, etc.

As far as AOTC ... the "clones" in the Clone Wars are gonna go pretty fast, both in the movies and in the EU material. Eventually, the Empire would have to start up somekind of "draft" or start up a call for volunteers to join up in the military forces to help keep the Republic and future Empire together. That's what I'm thinking. It's "humans" or other humaniods under the armor ... not ALL of the Stormtroppers are clones. ;)

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    When I was a kid, I thought it was Jedi vs. Jedi clones.

Around the time of pre-production for Ep. 1, I thought it was Jedi vs. Mandalorian Clones that looked like Boba Fett.

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Before watching AOTC, and watching the Original Triology all my life, I always had the impression that the Clone Wars were just people who were cloned that fought alongside the Jedi. I didn't had the slightest idea that the clones had anything to do with the Republic or the formation of an Empire...

11. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    A little over a month before AOTC came out I figured out that they were clones of Jango.but when the "Clone wars" trailer came out,I thought the geonosians were clones.Hey,most of them do look alike. ;) :)

12. The-Great-One

The-Great-One Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2003
    Stormtroopers :D

13. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I always thought they were just normal people. [face_plain]

tf

14. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Jedi vs. Sith clones is what I assumed.

!snap

15. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    ever since hearing about the clone wars in ANH and then some limited expansion that it was given in the thrawn trilogy by zahn i always pictured clones were just a replication of the all around best trooper from some backwater planet that wanted to fight the republic.....

...the cloner

16. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    In he novelization for TESB, it talks about how Boba Fett wore Mandalorian armor, and that they had been a group of warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. Thus, I figured the clones were like Boba Fett and that there would be Mandalorians.

17. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    At first I was disappointed when I heard the clones weren't Mandalorians but it makes so much more sense in that it leads to the Stormtroopers.

Wonder ifEp 3 will explain why the Clones become such poor fighters, ie: genetic watering down to prevent a coup.

18. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I had always just assumed that they were clones. I had never really had anything particular in mind. Though, I will say that I didn't expect them to be on the side of the Republic. I thought they were always the "bad guys" and the Emperor took them over from the Separatists. It wasn't until I played Jedi Starfighter for Playstation 2 that I knew the Clones were on the "good side."

19. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I'd like to hear your guesses going back to your first viewings of the OT in the 1980's.

20. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,I didn't know until less then a month before AOTC that the clones were actully fighting for the Republic. :)

21. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    Dolphin: Whenever I heard Clone Wars in ANH I just had a vague sci fi vision in my head of some evil cloned soldiers in some sort of white armor/space suits. That said, it took a long time before I began to believe the STs were the clones because they seem like such poor fighters to be the mysterious clone war fighters" we thought of back then.

22. Ss33dukefan

Ss33dukefan Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2003
    before AOTC i heard somewhere that the clones were Darth Maul so thats who i thought they were before AOTC

23. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I once thought the clones were cloned Sith fighting Jedi on desolate and dark planets.

24. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Then at another time I thought they were Mandalorians.

25. Rastafarian_Jedi

Rastafarian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    ...I had the Mandalorian idea... The idea put in my head by the many pieces of Star Wars literature that I trusted. Blah. I couldn't have imagined the PT would turn out how it is (Though I'm not totally disappointed). I imagined, using ideas directed at me from books, that the Jedi would be battling against the rising Empire, who happens to hire a group of Mandalorian warriors/clones to aid them. With all the stories of Mandalorian armor being resistant to lightsabers, as well as the Mandalorian helmets ability to block the force from influencing the wearer, I thought they were a perfect army to do the job.

I even remember squinting during the previews to see if the armor was, by chance, a style of white Mandalorian armor. (Perhaps like the first sketches of Fett?) ...Obviously I was un-spoiled for that film, but not disappointed when I saw the truth... It all works out, just not how I expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.