main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What did you think the Prequels were going to be like? How would you have changed them? -- Research

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Aanix_Durray, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    The topic is pretty self explanatory, but to be a little more specific, I'm doing research for a fanfiction endevour which will rewrite the prequels from the impression the Original Trilogy gave of them.

I recently bought The Art of Episode I, and as I was looking through it at all the wonderful illustrations and concept drawings, I couldn't help but feeling that the movies themselves had let them down, not doing justice to the potential.

So, when you were watching the Original Trilogy, or maybe reading the novelizations for the first time, what did you think that the history of Anakin would be like?

Did you think that the Yoda would have been Obi-wan's master? That Vader was a real pilot and not a child when he met the Jedi? Or maybe that the Clone Wars would have gone differently?

These are the kind of questions and answers I'm looking for, your own impressions of what the prequels could have/should have been.

Feel free to go off in all directions with this, the more creative the better :)

Thanx for you help :)

-~Aanix~-

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Personally I thought that Obi-Wan was going to be a Jedi Knight in Episode I, but I guess it seemed fitting that he was close to taking the Trials.

I also envisioned Anakin to be a bit older and more sophisticated- like more of a Jedi potential than a snot-nosed kid. I for one am not a Prequel basher by any means, but it did suprise me that Anakin blew up the Trade Federation control ship by ACCIDENT.

I was very pleased with the Clone Wars, as I am infatuated with the time frame of the events and love writing Fan Fics for that. :)

Otherwise, I was pretty pleased with the Prequels (storyline and character wise- not necessarily acting and such ;) :p ).

I would have liked to see Tarkin as well, scheming around with Palpatine and trying to get him elected to Chancellor and then to get him Emergency Powers. ;)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

3. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Thanx for your reply, it helps a lot :)

I for one am not a Prequel basher by any means

No worries, this threads meant to gain opinions, not for bashing. I'm not a prequel hater so much as a purist, :)

Thanx again,
    -~Aanix~-

4. Darth_Mideon

Darth_Mideon Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2003
    Personally I thought that when they first met anakin he would have been older maybe in his late teens say about 17 or 18, and that like luke he was way to old to become a jedi, but because hes the chosen one they train him, but becuase he was older he was more set in his ways and established his own values and ideals, which unfortunately would start his corruption, and the other reason isay think is becuase in ANH Obi Wan says when he firsat knew him, he was already a great pilot, now a boy racing pods is hardly a great pilot. I also thought that episode 2 was gonna be about the clone wars and not just the prelude to it.

If lucas had gone with an older Anakin, i think the celebration scene at the end of ep1 should have been Anakin and Padme's Wedding.

I'm not knocking the prequel trilogy as have to say still enjoy watching them over and over again, even though i did grow up with the OT series. But as the man said earlier he just wants info on what people would like to have seen.

The other thing i think would have been better was the theory of 2, i think having a lot of sith on loose somewhere in the galaxy would have been cool too. Maybe not Sith masters but at least sith lords.warriors.

any way thats my impression.

Aanix, i've been toying with a similar idea of writing a fan fic on what could have been, i'll post it in the fan fic forum. along with my sequel ideas.

cheers DM.

5. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Awesome stuff :)

DM, I'd love to hear what you're up to, PM me when it's posting.

-~Aanix~-

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I whould like to see more shots of ships in outer space.

7. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Interesting..very interesting.

I am also working on a very in-depth piece of Fan Fiction, of which takes place directly after the events of AOTC and involves the parents of none other than Mara Jade.

It chronicles a connection of the PT to the OT, the likes of which I believe there is a lack as of now.

Of course, I'm sure that there will be plenty of information and storyline in Episode III to lead up to ANH, but then again we don't want to be left in the dark when it comes to certain characters that pertain to both trilogies- whether it be EU or otherwise. ;)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

8. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I also recently bought The Art of Episode I ( for the great price of $5.99 ( hardcover )). Anyway, I like alot of the original ideas, such as the battle droids when they looked more human. And how they could fold up and fly. I loved that. Better than in racks I think ( though the racks are awesome) 8-}

9. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Anakin didn't blow up the Droid Control ship by accident. It was the Force. This scene was written to reference Ben's line in ANH :"In my experience, there is no such thing as luck." So what would appear to be luck to the untrained eye is actually a useage of the force.

That said, I didn't expect Anakin to be a child in the Prequels, nor did I expect for Yoda to not be Obi-Wan's direct master. All I ever really envisioned were the Mandalorian warriors and the lava duel.

10. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Gobi-1: God I hope you're kidding. [face_laugh]

KenKenobi: I am also working on a very in-depth piece of Fan Fiction, of which takes place directly after the events of AOTC and involves the parents of none other than Mara Jade.

Good choice, just tell me that one of them isn't Obi-wan...

Dagobah1234: I also recently bought The Art of Episode I ( for the great price of $5.99 ( hardcover )).

LOL, I got mine for $15 at a used books store, so you got a deal.

I loved that. Better than in racks I think ( though the racks are awesome)

True. [face_laugh]

appleseed: That said, I didn't expect Anakin to be a child in the Prequels, nor did I expect for Yoda to not be Obi-Wan's direct master.

That seems to be a common thought, and it had occured to me as well, since no mention of another master was made.

-~Aanix~-

11. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    When the SE of the OT came out, my friend who was a Star Wars friend, thought EP4SE was EP1.

12. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Aanix: [face_laugh] Don't worry...neither is Obi-Wan... ;) :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a Happy Valentine's Day [face_love] ;)

13. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    JediMasterKitFisto: Was s/he a fan or a n00b to tha cause? :)

KenKenobi: Whew **exhales** it's been done... and done, and done, and done... ugh, I'm open to Obi-wan/just about anybody stories, but seriously, I'm sick of hearing about him as Jade's 'ol man.

Do PM me a link to the fic when it's up, though :)

-~Aanix~-

14. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I actually think with a better director, the prequels would be up there on quality with the OT. Its whether people want them to be up there becomes the question.

But I envisioned Anakin as about 18-19. I like they way Luke was trained in ESB rather than what we see in the PT. I would have liked Anakin to have some force powers, but not fully trained. I think Obi-Wan being a Jedi Knight would have also been a better choice than him being a padawan to Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon could have been a mentor to Obi-Wan, similiar to what Ben was to Luke, however not his Master. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon could have gone on a mission together, both as a Knight and a Master. Obi-Wan then could have found Anakin. We could also then see Anakin helping the Jedi out and fight in a space battle, similiar to the way Luke does for the rebels.

I also thought we should have seen a darker side to Anakin. His angellic approach in the TPM didn't seem right for his character. David Prowse envisioned Anakin as a man of honour. Anakin could have been a freedom fighter or something to put him into a position to give him that trait. Qui-Gon could have died by the hands of Maul, with Obi-Wan defeating Maul, as it was in TPM. This way Qui-Gon could still have the influence in the Force as he is now.

I hope that what your looking for, if not too bad :p

15. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I remember reading a magazine article nearly 10 years ago that stated that Episode 1 was going to be called "Balance of the Force", 2 was going to be "The Clone Wars", and 3 was going to be "Rise of the Empire."

Overall i'm dissapointed with the prequels because my expectations years ago were that Vader would appear in the 2nd movie. Turns out he'll probably be in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd.

Dissapointing.

16. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    I'll post here what i put in the other thread... the OTHER thread?? I hear you asking... yep, it's kinda like a.... a prequel! 8-}

Okay Aanix, I grew up with SW a part of my life - I can't remember a time when it wasn't! So for a loooooong time, i had an idea of how it might have happened pre ANH...

Basically - I always thought the story should have revolved around Obi-wan. In ANH, he seemed like a beaten man, making his last, reckless throw of the dice... he should have been able to retire into old age a long time before, but he had to keep going... to atone for HIS mistakes.

In the PT, I think the jedi are too bureaucratic, too much like an organisation. My idea of it as a kid was far more like an order of monks, and far less centralised. I always thought of the jedi roaming the galaxy, helping out with an often unseen hand, being guided by the force, not by a council.

So Obi-wan discovers Anakin, a young man of about Luke's age in ANH, not a little kid. Initially he shouldn't really show any darkside signs, like being arrogant and moany like hayden's character. He should be just as nice and happy-go-lucky as Luke. It should be Obi-wan who makes the mistakes. I imagine him as being a precocious young Master, and instead of taking his discovery back to Yoda, taking it upon himself to train Anakin instead. JUST like he said in the OT. I really liked Qui-gon as a character, but the way it turned out in the PT, is that it's Qui-gon's last wish to have Anakin trained, and so Obi-wan wasn't "thinking i could train him as well as Yoda" as he did it for Qui-gon, and with the council's approval (if not Yoda's) too!

if it's Obi-wan's sole responsibility, this is then closer to OT canon. Plus, by having Anakin being a nice boy, who is genuinely seduced by the darkside, it then adds far more to the drama when we see obi-wan starting to train Luke in ANH - the audience will of course wonder whether Luke will go down the same path, or will Obi-wan get it right this time - his, and the galaxy's, last chance.

Obi-wan should fail badly in the PT, so that all he can do at the end is set himself the task of watching over a young Luke growing up on Tatooine, with a view to forging him into a weapon to defeat the Emperor and Vader. Everyone likes a 'comeback' story...

Also, perhaps bail organa should be more heavily involved earlier too - as it is he who lakes the young leia, and forges her into a political weapon, also to be aimed at the empire...

lastly, i think these new films have too many unnecessary characters - the focus should be more narrow...

anyway, that's just my opinion - feel free to tell me i'm wrong! ;)

17. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Rather embarrassingly, for a long time, I thought the prequels were going to be all about Han Solo's early life. [face_blush]

I think what put that idea in my head was some teasing from my brother. He told me not only had he seen the prequels, but they were all about Han Solo, and made up a story that Episode III was all about how Han won the Falcon of Lando. Being young and extremely naive, I belived him! And even when it was announced that the prequels were being made, and I was a good deal older, I was still surprised it was going to be all about Anakin and Obi-Wan! Very silly of me. You can all laugh now. :p

18. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    In the PT, I think the jedi are too bureaucratic, too much like an organisation. My idea of it as a kid was far more like an order of monks, and far less centralised. I always thought of the jedi roaming the galaxy, helping out with an often unseen hand, being guided by the force, not by a council

I was always of the same opinion.

19. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    That's a better idea in my opinion. Something simple and archaic about it, and I would've respected the Jedi more.

Now, they seem more like police-for hire. They don't seem as extraordinary or noble.

I personally think a lot of things in the PT could be simplified and stripped to its essence. There's too much going on in these prequels (story-wise and visually) and sadly, they still dont amount to much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.