main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

For me, I was sure we would find out Rey's parentage in TFA, and was surprised to learn it would be a mystery for the larger trilogy.

2. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    The inevitable "Luke" post.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, the obvious "Maz handing Leia the lightsaber" shot from the trailer comes to mind.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I was expecting more stuff with Maz, TBH. Also, for the Skywalker lightsaber to play a bigger “role”.

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The thing I was expecting would feature more predominately, that didn't, was the Knights of the Ren.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, a lot was dropped. Woulda liked seeing the "Bring the house down" scene. We need more FS characters who aren't Jedi. That'd be a neat army!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    "I love you" "I know" :(

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Phasma...................................................................,

10. lord ren

lord ren Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2016
  11. beebee-ate

beebee-ate Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    A bigger role for Captain Phasma.

12. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I thought I'd see tension. Like, a cold war. Like, capitol ships passing each other menacingly with the hard vacuum of space and cold starlight.

I had heard about a Sith Temple. I thought I'd see a scientific gesture, however minor, to a deep history analogous to a clash of the GFFA Titans, whoever they were. Didn't have to be human.

I hoped I would see some kind of Imperial female admiral who put in an introduction like Amon Goeth, and was a strong villain who earns respect from her crew and fear to go with it, through a persistent ability to outwit and out maneuver her foes. (But also, I guess, know how to leverage foes against each other rather than 'waste' perfectly good foes. Sun Tzu.)

13. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    It will be interesting to see fleet dynamics going forward considering the Republic fleet was essentially destroyed in TFA and as far as we know the FO doesn't have much of a fleet.

14. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd like to see one 'survivor' ship of each design they figure would have made up the fleet. Using the relative size and shape distribution at the end of ROTJ.

15. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Buuuuubuuuuuubuuuuut Luke was in TFA! I completely mispredicted his role though.

I went my in largely unspoiled and having almost 0 expectations except I liked jj's films. One thing I was sure would be in that wasn't were a wider range of ships. A wings Bwings etc

Dewback likes this.
  16. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    dismemberment.

17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    - Han and Chewie having more recent possession of the Falcon
    - Phasma doing more than walking around looking cool
    - Finn discovering or showing interest in force powers
    - the death of Rey's parentage debate (Rian, please)
    - a fuller picture of the day Luke's academy was destroyed, if Rey was there as a child, what role Kylo played in all of this, and more of Luke's response to it

Conversely, things that were present that I didn't expect before seeing the film:
    - Lor San Tekka wasn't just a village leader with some force knowledge, but personally knew Leia and Ben
    - Kylo Ren stopping a damn laser bolt
    - Finn borrowing not just Poe's jacket, but his identity as a member of the Resistance
    - Han and Chewie running a cargo ship, rather than being mere guests on one
    - the intentionally non-twist reveal of Kylo's connection to Han and Leia
    - Finn isn't and doesn't pretend to be an aloof badass
    - Kylo being so emotionally volatile, whether lashing out with his saber, letting Rey into his mind, or his turmoil over Han
    - First Order troopers and officers with actual personalities who aren't above running away from their superiors or abandoning their posts in the face of global destruction
    - Chewie's gun is upgraded to an RPG
    - Finn nearly getting cut in half
    - Rey beating Kylo
    - Kylo sustaining multiple injuries from multiple people

18. lord ren

Jan 29, 2016
    that one scene of cheesy lucasian dialogue...thank god that never happened

19. xaxiomatic

xaxiomatic Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 26, 2015
    Politics. No seriously. I was expecting at least a bit of an explanation about the broader state of the galaxy. And yes I would have enjoyed a little bit of a broader view of the universe than we got. TFA just feels so small... well maybe politics really is not the best way to say it but I guess you know what I'm trying to get at.

20. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    New ideas.

An original storyline.

21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Do you mean before you saw the movie, or while you were watching for the first time? My expectations changed because before the movie I was fairly spoiler free, so I had few expectations.

I had expected a better state of relationship between Han and Leia.
    I expected more Luke
    I expected to find out where Rey came from
    I expected to find out what exactly Kylo Ren was so angry about with his parents.
    I expected to see Leia be able to wield the Force better, I.e, scene where she is handed the lightsaber.

Dameron and Sauntaero like this.
  23. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I was expecting something original with an actual plot and instead what I got was a giant kids toy commercial that felt like a 90s music video.

Haha just joking, of course :p I've seen TFA 24 times so I love it more than anything... Except the rest of the 6 films (tie) and my GF :p ha ha.

I definitely had imagined more Luke but this totally worked and made the wait for Episode VIII even crazier. I also didn't realize we wouldn't be seeing much of the New Republic or that for instance the warring parties would be relatively small. Just one capitol ship for the First Order and none for the Resistance (in keeping with the Galactic Concordance).

ObiWanKnowsMe and Palpatine77 like this.
  24. lord ren

Jan 29, 2016

the prequels had an original story-line...and each of them were worse than twilight

Nate787, JonoLFC, Avnar and 1 other person like this.
  25. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I know for a fact that My eyes are bad.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.