main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 30, 2016.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Also, recently noticed that the color of the saber is different from the final movie. Looks more yellowish-red rather than just pure red, like it was described in the script/leaks(?).

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Much more non-human characters and animatronic animals, with how JJA was going about how they used real puppets I was expecting something more.

OT and PT aliens, outside of three named characters

Phasma doing something important

A bit more breath time between the action and explanations on what's going on

The planets seen feeling unique

New ship designs that we actually get to see

More Luke

I was hopping for more Jedi but can't say I was expecting it

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Luke Skywalker being in the actual film rather than being a moment in the coda.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I expected more parity of heroic spotlight between the new "big 3." Was almost shocking that Finn was so much of a bumbling, comic relief sidekick. With Poe I expected something of a new Han Solo, but in narrative focus he was more like Ric Olie.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, Poe was a red herring. He’s not the third lead at all. Kylo is.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I did not actually expect Poe to have any big role at all. My impression from the trailers and posters was that he was just like that big mouthed alien rebel in Rogue One that appeared in some trailers and posters but in practise was just an unnamed extra

7. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    i expected lando and wedge to be in the movie

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I never figured Poe would be one of the leads either, honestly. Possibly because he wasn't featured that much in the promo material (didn't have a character poster like the others, were only in a few shots in the trailers, etc.).

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Ah, so he was just a red herring for those of us who only saw the first teaser ;)

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, posts such as these will now be considered trolling. If you've got nothing to add to the discussion but (ironically unoriginal) snark, then don't bother.

13. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Even you have to admit that The Force Awakens didn't bring anything new to the table except for the defecting stormtrooper. I'm bummed at the fact that episodes 6 and 7 are very derivative of episode 4. I really wish that Return Of The Jedi should've been shot in the darker much more different tone than what ended up in that particular movie. I find it interesting that in Return Of The Jedi Luke and Leia weren't originally going to be brother and sister. There also were no ewoks in the film or a Death Star part deux either. And the main story of episode 7 back in the 80's was going to have Luke searching for his long lost sister. They should've went with all of that but they didn't and it's a severe shame. This movie series is quickly becoming a series of remakes. Here's to hoping that The Last Jedi will finally do something different and the lacklust trailer for it is not indicative of all of what the movie holds.

Blackhole E Snoke and Nom_Anor01 like this.
  14. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I found it interesting that you got little to no backstory on the happenings around the original three (Han, Leia, or Luke). You got snippits and pieces that you had to reconstruct yourself, but in reality I expected some additional arcing to be able to tie the events of TFA to the ending of ROTJ. What you have to depend on is the written materials that do exist that talk to that time period. I would've preferred a bit more - but perhaps at least in the case of Luke, part of the mystery will be revealed in TLJ.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  15. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Well since The Force Awakens is essentially a remake you're not going to get any post-Return Of The Jedi backstory on the ol' gang. As a matter of fact there shouldn't even be a First Order in the seventh movie because the Empire got defeated. Having the Rebels turn into something that they destroyed would've been way better and also have Luke look for his long lost sister during the events in episode 7. Of course I'm saying that episodes 6 and 7 should've been their original selves as outlined by George Lucas in the early 80's but that's how I feel.

16. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013

I understand your argument however disagree... since going into TFA, none of us could be certain that is was a remake (which is a separate debate altogether) and the question specifically referenced what was expected vs. delivered in TFA, that was the context of my response. And to be honest, I'm not sure how you initiate the sequel trilogy without dedicating some significant time to the fates of the three heros that we spent the original trilogy following and exploring with? Considering that the last shot shown in ROTJ is the celebration on Endor with the defeat of the leadership of the Empire, you would figure that there would be some time discussing how Leia became leader of a "resistance".... Han went back to smuggling, and Luke just drops off the face of the universe... none of these (or any other intermediary stories) are really delved into during TFA which I think is a big miss. So my only recourse is to go buy several books and invest significant time reading and digesting instead of being able to address within the context of the film itself.

It must seem like I'm complaining, however I'm not. I did enjoy TFA, but again considering what I expected to see, not quite there...

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A scene with Rey and Poe.

18. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm just curious if you could expand on that... what were you expecting to see in that interaction? Or were you expecting that Rey, Finn, and Poe are the next big three and they should all have interactions between them in this movie?

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How about "thank you for taking care of my droid?" or "So, you are the girl that Finn wanted to rescue?" Or "I'll watch Finn for you while you are gone?"
    20 seconds max. Why wouldn't Poe want to meet Rey?

20. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm onboard with that. I was just asking to see if you thought there was a plot line missing between the two characters or you just wanted to see any type of interaction. I agree that it seems odd that they NEVER spoke in the movie... especially considering the strong relationships that Finn has built with each...

21. The Scavenger

The Scavenger Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 22, 2017
    Less of Han, more of Luke and a villain I would end up hating because I was already spoiled on what happens at the end before I saw it.

22. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    Anakin's ghost

Nom_Anor01 likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Beyond that, why wouldn't the writers WANT them to meet. Unless they're going to have no relationship going forward, they'll need an introduction at some point. Unless they say they met off camera, which would just be so sloppy.

24. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I expected Kylo Ren to be stronger. I expected Rey to escape Kylo and not defeat him. I expected Lando to be involved. I expected some back story for Rey and leaving a shocking reveal for the next movie. I expected R2-D2 to be active throughout his appearance.