main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 30, 2016.

1. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Most of these come from the MakingStarWars rumors:

-Intro with lightsaber falling from space and acting as the McGuffin of the new story, with the coordinates to Luke's location hidden in the crystal.
    -The pirates arriving at Han's freighter being the most recent owners of the Falcon, with their purpose being to get it back.
    -Kylo getting the upper hand in his duel with Rey or it coming to a stalemate before the ground-separation ends it.
    -The backstories of both Rey and Snoke being explored.
    -The flashback being something that Maz willingly inflicts on Rey herself.
    -A montage within the flashback showing how the lost saber got from Bespin to Maz's castle.
    -The flashback containing a sequence of the young Kylo being handed off to Luke, as well as a sequence of Luke arriving to find his apprentices dead and then leaving R2 behind.
    -Kylo having an emotional moment in the Falcon.
    -Leia's sledgehammer superweapon.
    -Kor Sella being one of the spies at Maz's castle.
    -Maz returning to the Resistance base with the others to hand the saber back to Leia (as seen in the trailer).
    -Nakka, the blue fammer alien that finds the saber in the beginning after it falls.

In the end, I'm VERY happy none of this actually ended up in the final film, except for the idea of a lightsaber acting as a McGuffin. I think that coulda been really interesting if handled right, just don't have it fall from space.

2. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    They could have done an epic flashback like the LOTR War of the Last Alliance.

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Long drawn out scenes of people sitting on couches talking to each other

dan1210 likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Multiple BB droids other than BB-8.

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    To care about the score. Don't get me wrong. TFA score is actually my fave so far of all the soundtracks, but I was literally so into the movie that I completely forgot to pay attention to the score. It actually shows how well the score served the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Hand likes this.
  6. Count Inuity

Count Inuity Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2015
    Nah, I saw it twice and I noticed both times that the score did not stand out enough. I think it would have served it better if it took center stage more often the way it was in the original movies. But it was ok.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, I didn't really notice too much of it on the first viewing either other than a few select moments . However, listening to it on album for the first time the day after was pants-shatteringly awesome. So many ear-gasmic moments that didn't come through in the film.

8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I expected someone 2 loose a limb. A least a random Stormtrooper. I heard Chewbacca was planed 2 loose in arm from that Guavian Gang memeber but he didn't. Alternately Unkar Plutt tracked down the Falcon 2 Takodana. Got into an argument with Rey then Chewbacca (this time with 2 of his regular arms) pulled Plutt's arms out of his sockets. They didn't do ether.

At least Finn got his back split open.

9. Brybe_Daker

Brybe_Daker Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2015
    I expected Phasma to, you know, actually be a cool character and actually do something onscreen. That was really one of my only disappointments. I also expected the Bespin Saber to be a much larger plot device, based partly on the leaks/spoilers. But I'm overall quite happy with the film.

Gamiel and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  10. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    The score might have been my biggest expectation as well. It was the only thing I knew I could count on going in. It ended up being... underwhelming.

There were some standout moments but it took three viewings for me to notice them. It really didn't have enough room to breathe. The score in Star Wars has always been as important as the dialogue, if not more so.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Also, as I’m sure others have said, more about the Knights of Ren. I’m guessing that’s coming in Episode 8.

12. zilonline

zilonline Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I sort hoped to see how Kylo got Vader's mask, and the expansion of that scene in the trailer with Kylo standing in the rain with his saber..

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I have a strong feeling that a lot of the stuff we thought was going to be in the TFA flashback, is going to end up in an Ep. VIII flashback.

14. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I was saddened that we didn't get to see one last reunion between Luke, Han and Leia. Would have warmed my heart.

15. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    A space battle around the quality of the Battle of Endor. PT didn't have any good large scale space battles. TFA's felt like those ones; they are large scale space battles. Just not memorable

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm still not sure where the Knights of Ren being important ever came from.

It kind of reminds me how, in ANH, Vader was described in tie-in material as the Lord of the Sith. But what the Sith were wouldn't be defined for another 22 years :p

burg2774 and miasma like this.
  17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Exactly. And I think that's what JJ and Kasdan were going for. Just like in the OT, they wanted to put a bunch of stuff into the film, without really delving into what it all meant, as a way to make the world seem bigger. It's kind of like how Obi-Wan mentions the Clone Wars in ANH. That made it feel like there was a history to the character and the world, even though I'd be willing to bet Lucas himself had no idea what the clones wars were back then.

Anyway, back on topic: I expected more familiar aliens, like Jawas, etc. Of course, I don't mind at all that we got tons of new creatures populating the world, but if I'd been asked ahead of time, I would have said there would be a lot of familiar aliens.

burg2774 and Ghost like this.
  18. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008

Sarco was even more absent from the movie than Luke. At least we had mentions of Luke before his appearance at the end. Its disappointing that Sarco was introduced in a "Journey" to the Force Awakens book, billed as a character from the movie, then a complete no show.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I thought there would be more of Rey scavenging in the starship graveyard.

I thought we'd see Rey piloting her own quadjumper (and I thought we'd see it parked/sheltered at her AT-AT home like we saw in the concept art).

I thought there'd be more to the scene of the X-wings flying over the water. Couldn't believe how short that sequence was in the final film.

20. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    [quote="Jedi_Lantern, post: 53235565, member: 1378133"PT didn't have any good large scale space battles. [/quote]

Don't forget the opening scene in Revenge of the Sith...

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    large scale battles. tpm and aotc.

large scale space battle. rots.

22. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    More explanation about Snoke, the formation of the First Order, and the Knights of Ren. The film really asked more questions than it answered. It's gonna be a long wait for Episode 8...

23. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    - Lando featured/mentioned
    - Talking Luke
    - Rey's parents revealed
    - Knights of Ren explained
    - A bit more philosophy
    - Coruscant

25. lardandlard

lardandlard Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    Knights of Ren killing people.

To see or hear how Ren obtained Vader's mask.

Learn about the state of the galaxy, and exactly how the FO rose. Same with Ren. We know where he come from, but when did Snoke turn up, and how did he turn Ren?

A cool Finn. I saw a interview with the actor, and he seemed like a really cool Han Solo type of guy, so I guessed he was going to be that in the movie.