main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Unless there is a special special edition of ROTJ I haven't seen, "You have that power too" doesn't follow "my sister has it"
    However he does say it when Leia tells Luke he has a power she can never have.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It was re-edited, with Hamill recording a new version so that both versions were in the mix. But it was lifted directly from ROTJ.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    So there is a chance "It's time for the jedi to end" doesn't make TLJ!!!!! Fingers crossed.

4. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Maz passing the lightsaber to Leia, I was disappointed when it didn't happen.

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Luke and Vader fighting on Bespin in the flashback.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm sure it'll still be in the movie. It seems like it was used in the trailers as a big plot devise. Not to mention the title of the movie that he says it in. I'm not sure how I would feel if the Jedi are actually finished and some new form of Light side user is made.

7. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    So it was re-edited and re-recorded and they still cut it out. Ouch.

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It was never in TFA in the first place. Hamill recorded the line--which was repurposed from ROTJ dialogue--specifically for the trailer.

9. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm sure Luke will say it too, but then again I'm still waiting for Jyn's high-noon showdown with that Tie Fighter at the end of Rogue One.

10. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    I realize it's was never in TFA. My question is, what was the point of rehashing that in the trailer, after 30 years did people forget Leia was Luke's sister?

11. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I think the purpose was to reinforce that TFA continues the story of the OT. Rey has the same power as the Skywalkers.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  12. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    I'll buy that, unless he was talking to Kylo.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008

I'm still mad about that...I thought Leia was finally done justice, and would have a bigger role to play.
    as Hernalt, I thought the political conflict would be a bit more complex and defined.
    The Twins embracing and making peace with their family's legacy as a whole..working with it.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  14. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Kylo Ren's little cousin, Rey Skywalker :\

15. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    A coherent story and not the first Star Wars movie where I ended up being able to point out the mistakes as I watched it?!

They imitated ANH but instead of keeping Poe involved Abrams had to fight to keep Oscar Isaacs involved?!

I wonder whether people would have been calling Rey a mary sue if they had her be the co-pilot on the Falcon rather than sole pilot of a ship that as far as she's concerned hasn't been flown in years?!

Just read the Phasma novel, did anyone expect more from her than what they showed in the movie?

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    A more noticeably retro look given the practical effects/"back to the old ways" marketing campaign.

11-4D likes this.
  17. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Finn being treated with respect.

18. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Dialog from Luke

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I thought we'd see a reunion of the big 3, but nope

20. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I thought TFA would have an original plot with likeable new characters.

I really wish it had delivered.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Non of the characters were likable?

11-4D likes this.
  22. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Hm...thinking back about what I wanted in a Sequel Trilogy...

Something unrelated to the Skywalker family for a change

Maybe having a Trilogy from the bad guys' point of view as they fight a losing battle against the growing New Republic, with the Remnant being forced to fight as the Rebels once did, since Star Wars loves its irony and parallels

23. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    The only answer has to be we ALL thought Luke would have ONE line of dialogue....That is without a doubt the 100% answer to this thread. Not a single person here was expecting a Luke cameo not to say anything, ESP when he had lines in the trailer !!!!

-A ton of ppl predicted Han would die
    -A ton of ppl thought that Rey origins would be unknown
    -A ton of ppl knew Kylo would prolly be Han and Leia's son
    -A few people predicted Snoke would be mysterious and not shown all the way, some even predicted it would just be Andy Serkis voice with no face

BUT NO ONE PREDICTED LUKE WOULDNT SPEAK...THAT WAS BEYOND SHOCKING, IMO.....Biggest surprise of every single Star Wars film, imo.....

Lulu Mars likes this.
  24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Note that this is not the "Bash TFA" thread. This is about specific expectations for the plot, potential set-pieces, characters, etc. not "I was expecting it not to suck".

Pro Scoundrel and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    And the best way to preserve that surprise is to watch TFA first, then ANH, then TPM and the rest in numerical order.