main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What did you think would surely be in TFA, but wasn't?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I expected to see Luke, Leia, and Han together. Now there will be no way of seeing that at all, realistically or storywise.
    I don't know what to say about regular Star Wars viewers who didn't recognize those lines from "Return of the Jedi."

Lady_Skywalker87 and 11-4D like this.
  2. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    But those ROTJ lines were re-edited, with Hamill recording a new version 30+ years later. And the purpose of that was for the trailer only? Did they realize they tipped their hand too soon with that reveal?

3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

So what if they were recorded again? What does that prove? It could just mean that a re-reading fit the trailer better than the original recording.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, but the re-recording is only used as a low echo in the mix.
    Yes.
    Huh? What reveal?

11-4D likes this.
  5. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Call me old fashioned, but I when see something in a trailer, I expect it to be in the movie.

It's pretty obvious he wasn't talking to Leia this time

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He wasn't really talking to anyone. It's a voice over for a trailer, meant to hint that the new film is about a new generation of Jedi.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the first part of your reply.

"Call me old fashioned, but I when see something in a trailer, I expect it to be in the movie"
    -Well, the trailer for the original Star Wars movie had a voice over. You wouldn't expect that to be in the movie. Neither would you expect the "Every Saga Has a Beginning" title card from the TPM trailer to be in the movie.
    This is a line of dialogue from Return of the Jedi, slightly altered to work better as a monologue. There was never anything that ever suggested that it was from the film.

11-4D likes this.
  7. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    I guess this is one of those "certain point of view" theories

8. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    Narration is one thing, but when Luke says it, people will be waiting for it.

9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Sorry, I don't see it. It was always obvious that they simply used a Luke quote from ROTJ in the trailer.
    It's used in the exact same way that an Obi-Wan quote from ANH is used in the teaser for ROTS.

11-4D, Organafan and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    But it really wasn't a quote, since they added "You have that power too", strongly inferring this was directed at another Skywalker.

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    "You have that power too" wasn't added - it was shifted. The original quote is "You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time, you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it... my sister has it."

12. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    "Shifted" or "Added", the ROTJ quote was compromised for the trailer and can no longer be taken in that same context.

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Of course, and I made that point earlier.
    But there's still nothing that indicates that it's a quote from TFA, since it's, well, a (slightly changed) quote from ROTJ.

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this discussion now, since it's obvious we won't convince each other. :)

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    "compromised"? [face_dunno]

15. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    Agree, but a healthy debate and your points are well taken.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    Yep, words were shifted, thus taking on a whole new meaning.

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Not new meaning (not yet anyway). Only obfuscation of the addressee.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  18. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    Episode IX: The Obfuscation of the Jedi.

19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Same. The trailers had a more retro look to them too, so I was surprised about the look and feel of the movie.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm sure this is an old gripe, but I was sure we'd see at least a little bit more of Luke. I was sure he'd at least have lines! Otherwise, there was this concept art of some character that had some kind of droid facial parts interweaved into his face, along with more mechanics throughout his body. Not sure what happened with that, but we never saw any such thing-perhaps simply an abandoned concept I guess. You remember what I'm referring to right? Hopefully I'm making sense...

21. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The alien villager finding the lightsaber and accidentally setting a field of dry grass on fire. Was looking forward to that.

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The phantom of the opera dude!

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I didn't know about that one! Sounds really cool!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

Would anybody mind if I took this over to the fanfic forum and put it in the plot bunny thread?

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Okay, this needs to be in the plot bunny thread. It's going there.